Uconn game vs. NFL playoffs

Which game do you watch?

• Regular season, in conference 2022 Uconn game

Votes: 159 86.9%
  • NFL Playoff game

Votes: 24 13.1%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Football is like 4 hours long and 80,% dead air. I'd record football and watch it afterward in about 20 minutes

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
These people are not Pats fans. They are a fans of winning. It just happens to be that the majority of the people who "root" for that franchise fall into the latter.
Seems similar to the Yankees, yes?

The origins of the current breed of Patriots fans can be traced to 1993. If James Orthwein didn't find a buyer, they were being moved to St. Louis. He brought in Parcells as a business decision to increase the value of the franchise, as winning always does, but fan excitement seeded by Parcells blossomed with Drew Bledsoe. The new fanbase nucleus was firmly established by January 1997.

I personally believe that the ire of non- anti-Patriot fans residing within the state lines of CT is misdirected and should be pointed squarely at John Rowland, rather than Bob Kraft...or anyone else associated with the Patriots. Ironically, If Rowland followed through with everything he promised Kraft on the approved timeline, Connecticut would have been crippled. I suspect he didn't care as he was licking his wounds left by losing the Whalers. I am not familiar with Bill Curry, but how Connecticut re-elected Rowland to a 3rd term amid scandal is a mystery to me. OTOH, As a 20-something Massachusetts resident at the time, I wasn't paying real close attention to state politics.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Seems similar to the Yankees, yes?

The origins of the current breed of Patriots fans can be traced to 1993. If James Orthwein didn't find a buyer, they were being moved to St. Louis. He brought in Parcells as a business decision to increase the value of the franchise, as winning always does, but fan excitement seeded by Parcells blossomed with Drew Bledsoe. The new fanbase nucleus was firmly established by January 1997.

I personally believe that the ire of non- anti-Patriot fans residing within the state lines of CT is misdirected and should be pointed squarely at John Rowland, rather than Bob Kraft...or anyone else associated with the Patriots. Ironically, If Rowland followed through with everything he promised Kraft on the approved timeline, Connecticut would have been crippled. I suspect he didn't care as he was licking his wounds left by losing the Whalers. I am not familiar with Bill Curry, but how Connecticut re-elected Rowland to a 3rd term amid scandal is a mystery to me. OTOH, As a 20-something Massachusetts resident at the time, I wasn't paying real close attention to state politics.
I hate the Yankees, and no, it is not.

Reaction Score
Football is like 4 hours long and 80,% dead air. I'd record football and watch it afterward in about 20 minutes
Your eyes will shoot to the bottom line score updates while watching the UConn game.

Reaction Score
Your eyes will shoot to the bottom line score updates while watching the UConn game.

I remember one of the Red Sox World Series wins, I think it was 2013, I did an incredible job of avoiding TV, the internet, etc. because I was stuck in the office late and was going to watch when I got home. Literally the second I sat down on the couch and reached for the remote I got a pop-up on my phone announcing that they had won. Nowadays I avoid all electronics entirely.

Reaction Score
UConn, Yankee, Giants and Rangers fan but it’s not close in passion. Huskies no doubt with a peak in on the Giants if somehow they’re even in it and playing at the same time. Other teams in the playoffs I will watch any college basketball game rather than those.

Reaction Score
You notice that a normal, in conference, Uconn Men's game is on at the exact same time as an NFL playoff game. Even if it's your football team who is playing. (I'm aware that due to technology, we can have both on at the same time, but that's not the point here). Which do you watch?
If my team is in the playoffs absolutely no question its playoff time. But i can watch both so no big deal. That being said im a Bears fan so its not a problem.:(

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
my wife has mercilessly mocked me for putting a strip of doubled painters tape across the bottom of the screen at times
There's opportunity here, create a device that snaps on the TV to block out the crawl. Get the fundng from Shark Tank.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I hate the Yankees, and no, it is not.

Whether one is a fan of a particular team was not the point. I took exception to what I perceived as painting the entire Patriots' fanbase broadly as the only one who might be fair-weather front runners and only since 2001. ALL fans care about winning and, unless there is some other attachment (Alma mater, for example), most factor winning as a large part for which teams to follow. Particularly true for pro teams, but college as well. My response was to illustrate that the current fanbase largely started to take notice nearly a decade prior to the 2001-'02 season.

UConn is also an example for this. They were fairly decent and Rentschler was near or at capacity for the better part of a decade after it first opened. Attendance and their following started to crater under Pasqualoni and since about 2014 for the most part, only the most ardent were in the parking lot on most gamedays and some of those wouldn't even bother going into the stadium either. Same with the basketball team. Attendance wasn't as robust during Ollie's later years as it was pre-2013. I don't think all of that apathy can be attributed to the conference.

At the end of the day, sports is entertainment and winning sure is more enjoyable than losing. What's the point in watching if one is not enjoying oneself?

Be all that as it may, win or lose today, I hopefully Mora can sustain what he's begun to build this year.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Whether one is a fan of a particular team was not the point. I took exception to what I perceived as painting the entire Patriots' fanbase broadly as the only one who might be fair-weather front runners and only since 2001. ALL fans care about winning and, unless there is some other attachment (Alma mater, for example), most factor winning as a large part for which teams to follow. Particularly true for pro teams, but college as well. My response was to illustrate that the current fanbase largely started to take notice nearly a decade prior to the 2001-'02 season.

UConn is also an example for this. They were fairly decent and Rentschler was near or at capacity for the better part of a decade after it first opened. Attendance and their following started to crater under Pasqualoni and since about 2014 for the most part, only the most ardent were in the parking lot on most gamedays and some of those wouldn't even bother going into the stadium either. Same with the basketball team. Attendance wasn't as robust during Ollie's later years as it was pre-2013. I don't think all of that apathy can be attributed to the conference.

At the end of the day, sports is entertainment and winning sure is more enjoyable than losing. What's the point in watching if one is not enjoying oneself?

Be all that as it may, win or lose today, I hopefully Mora can sustain what he's begun to build this year.
Exactly. In the not so distant past a survey of people in Texas were asked what is the team of any sport they were a fan of. The significant majority claimed the Yankees! The Cowboys were struggling at the time so they came in second.

People are most loyal to their own well being. But I never expected that population with its regional bias and bias to the NorthEast to vote that way. It was the extreme imo of what you are stating.

I will add one other point to your astute observation. During that last losing season of KO's tenure and the aftermath that followed the predictable anger came out. But in all the hundreds and thousands of responses, I observed only two posts made by two people I felt were honest. As people went on and on about the destruction of the program or the negative impact on an institution, they were unable to admit what these two honest individuals said - that the primary reason for their venom was because of a loss of fulfillment they desired from a vicarious experience with a team they hitched a ride onto. The overwhelming response was a deflection because of a mistaken belief that a desire for fulfillment in the manner the two honest posters presented is base or trite or stupid. It's not.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Hmmm, why would I watch a UConn game over a 2022-23 Pats game? Can't imagine.
Lol this board is so ingrained into me that I thought of your comment earlier in the week when I saw that last night. #aheadofthecurve

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Fairly easy for me since I have zero interest in the NFL.
Ditto
Not sure when I stopped watching football, but it's got to be 20-25 years ago.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom