UConn (formerly #2) @ Notre Dame (formerly #1) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn (formerly #2) @ Notre Dame (formerly #1)

Reaction Score
While not as big as either Shepard or Turner, Kathryn Westbeld was certainly not a guard.

ND had only 3 healthy scholarship guards most of last year, the same 3 that played all game today.

That being said, Westbeld was great for exactly what you mention. The team just flowed better with her in. She didn't necessarily get a ton of assists but she kept the offense moving. This team is still finding it's flow. Of course, it took last year's ND team a while to gel, too.

Meanwhile UConn's "flow" was excellent. If someone is out of position and scrambling to catch up, UConn is excellent at quickly finding the open man before the defense can recover.
When they had Lili Thompson early last year against us they did and we struggled mightily! And yes, with Westbeld they maintained that tempo.

Reaction Score
Last year, after they lost Thompson for the year, ND ran basically the same offense with Westbeld at forward in stead of Turner.
Westbeld did not clog their game flow up as Turner does. My comments were in reference to having Lily Thompson and before that with Lindsay Allen.

Reaction Score
This game did not go as most believed it would. hindsight tells me it went exactly as Geno scripted. Prior to the game, Geno stressed his big three would set the tone for this game, ND believed him. ND did slow down the big three but it was the freshman who destroyed ND. What you bet Geno psyched out ND, funny how early UCONN set CW up to score. Me thinks the old fox did it again!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
When they had Lili Thompson early last year against us they did and we struggled mightily! And yes, with Westbeld they maintained that tempo.

Ah yes, I somehow forgot that Lili played in the first UConn game. Right you are.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Remember when I was talking about Ogunbowale taking out the legs of a rebounder going up high for a rebound? Here she’s doing the same kind of thing to a player going up high for a shot.

C141-BD6-F-EB1-D-4-AD6-B78-B-E5-F07645-A324.gif

Reaction Score
Wow the more I see the game the more I see how arike was really playing dirty at times. Really not like her in the past. Not sure why she’s doing this so often now.

Reaction Score
Remember when I was talking about Ogunbowale taking out the legs of a rebounder going up high for a rebound? Here she’s doing the same kind of thing to a player going up high for a shot.

C141-BD6-F-EB1-D-4-AD6-B78-B-E5-F07645-A324.gif
Who coached her on that????

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Agreed!! Great game by Liv. She did hold her own in the biggest game she will play before March.
She has a game with Baylor and Louisville this season.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I wonder how many people on this board get the reference in that tweet...

Doesn't seem like a big Ariana Grande crowd.
Pete Davidson got it!

Reaction Score
I agree. The nonstop babbling is annoying.

Both of them are great together in the studio, or excellent when only one of them is in the color chair. Put them side by side, it becomes an unmitigated disaster.

Reaction Score
Last year I posted that maybe ND was "playing possum".

"Lose the battle, win the war".

Just seeing what they were up against .

Giving UCONN a "false sense of security".

Beware in the NCAA's...

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score

Beware in the NCAA's...

Certainly it's a possibility, but I just don't think the ND coaching staff is "Art of War"-like cunning in their approach. There are plenty of reasons to "beware the NCAA's" without thinking that. The game was much closer than the final score indicated. Kind of like the ND vs OSU game. The game only started to get out of control midway through the 4th quarter. Until then, ND was still in the game and was hard to shake. For whatever reason, this was the game ND needed as a wake-up call. They will rebound from it and get better. They will also be highly motivated in a rematch, but I think UConn will be even more motivated this year, especially Lou and Pheese, along with their able underclass teammates, who really proved themselves in this game, who are hungry for their first championship.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Of course, ND always gets preferential treatment from the refs. Or so I've read.

No, it only seems like it. Just like UConn always seems to get best recruits.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I still think they were blue. :rolleyes:

They may look blue on TV. The announcer said at the beginning of the game, that UConn was wearing new black uniforms. :)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Beware in the NCAA's...

Every team want's to go undefeated.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
I must be honest here. I never thought that UConn would be ranked #1 at anytime during this season.
This is the second time I've been wrong this year (I thought Boston was a lock to come here).
The Huskies will awake in the morning as the new #1 team in the country. I love it!!! Hey yard, we've got ourselves a team!!! :p
Geno is VERY SPECIAL as is Chris Daily

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
From Charlie Creme via Java man
"Still curious about exactly what went on between Arike and Geno. If these two do meet again in the Final Four that topic is going to be right at the top of all storylines."

Sadly true. More narratives and hyped up controversy instead of comments on and analysis of what's going on out there on the court

Reaction Score
WOW, it didn't take her long to "get it". Only six games. :D
From the neck up ONO gets it too. It'll take her body a little bit longer but when she gets control of it, look out. At the rate she's coming on, by tournament time she could be as big a all around factor as any post player in the country.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom