UConn Football .. there are a lot of things to look forward to seeing this season.. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn Football .. there are a lot of things to look forward to seeing this season..

Reaction Score
According to 247 who gives those stars, our class is currently ranked 126 this year. Last year it was 106, '17 was 101, and' 16 was 99. This year's recruiting was significantly worse than the prior three years.
They don’t count the transfers and Juco players in the rankings. By adding JUCOs and transfers it brings our rank down because you get points for everyone you recruit from 2 star up. So the pure number of recruits matter. Look st Navy and Army as an example. They have very few 3, 4. 5 star players but they are both ranked much higher than us. What you really have to look at for quality is the “avg of stars” rating. Using this we are closer to the middle of the AAC pack.
I think we have a stronger freshmen class this year than last but we have a very good transfer and JUCO class.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
what you really have to look at is who you are beating for players and who you are losing players to. by that ongoing metric things aint getting better anytime soon.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
what you really have to look at is who you are beating for players and who you are losing players to. by that ongoing metric things aint getting better anytime soon.
Whaler facts like this are so negative better keep them to yourself or people will have a sad.

Reaction Score
When we added experienced players at QB and receiver/RB it was the key to having success this season. It replaced graduation losses on offense with players that will not have to get bigger stronger faster etc to be productive. They need to jell on the field but with an experienced O-line in addition to Mensah and Dixon they should have a chance. The staff did a decent job here considering where we are win/loss wise right now.

Reaction Score
Our top rated recruit (0.8451) chose us over Illinois, Cincinnati and Virginia Tech. His final two were us and Tech. Considering where we came from I think that's a pretty good pick up.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Our top rated recruit (0.8451) chose us over Illinois, Cincinnati and Virginia Tech. His final two were us and Tech. Considering where we came from I think that's a pretty good pick up.
Hmm pretty good. How about the rest of the class? How about schools that beat us out for guys?

Reaction Score
Don't understand the "intentional inability to understand". 85 scholarships need to be filled. Quality and quantity are needed. Some rankings are sum of quality * quantity; others are just average of quality.

Alabama gets both quality and quantity so difference doesn't matter much. A UConn has trouble getting both quality and quantity. In 2019 the quantity was low being only 15. Any metric with quantity in it will be relatively low for UConn vs. any metric using only quality.

UConn 2019 needed some "more mature" players so HCRE2.0 has taken at least 5 "transfer" type recruits. Lowers any metric where quantity of recruits is used (and doesn't count transfers) but not where only quality is used.

Quality is good, quality with quantity is even better. 2019 average quality for 15 guys is good. 5 transfers which appear to each be quality guys is also good.

5 remaining scholarships if given to short term new transfers get much needed quantity of older kids for 2019, if can't accomplish and don't give any to current non scholarship players have for additional quantity in 2020 recruits.

I'm actually amazed at the quality of the recruits (on good side for those who need to have it spelled out) given how poorly HCRE2.0 coached in 2018 and the total lack (per his words) of concern about winning in 2018.

Reaction Score
We still have some positives for our UConn football program..

1- we definately recruited kids that I think could make an immediate impact this fall with Jucos as well as a QB who I think might surprise a lot of you.. the QB comp will be good to see.. may the best man win..
2-the freshman that played last year are now sophomores with a year under their belt and more experienced equals better playing
3-Giufre is still here and will continue what he’s taught to the offense and Oline., and he’s done a decent job .. he’s had experience in the NFL with the Colts as the OL assistant coach from 2013-2017
4- Our new strength and conditioning coach is making a huge improvement with the team
5-Coach Spanos as our defensive coordinator brings his NFL experience from the Steelers and Redskins to coach our defense and we should see a huge improvement come fall..

I know Dunn leaving threw us all for a loop this morning .. there is not much we can do .. we are stuck in the AAC so we need to move on from the complaining.. will we get the top recruits?? Probably not .. but . I’m still believing Edsall can turn this around. Any Coach that gives 150000 of his salary to try to keep a coach on his staff tells me something about the man.. I’m in until this year plays out. Let’s see what Edsall does this year before we bail completely on the program..
I'm with you bro... It's extremely hard to see it (from the eyeball tests we had in the first 2 seasons), BUT, one thing that sticks out in my mind is how Edsall got results with this program the first time around. Unlike the past, he's got stuff to work with now... I believe he can do it.. I just hope we start seeing things this coming season.. We must show a pulse... Right now, that's all I need to see....

Reaction Score
According to 247 who gives those stars, our class is currently ranked 126 this year. Last year it was 106, '17 was 101, and' 16 was 99. This year's recruiting was significantly worse than the prior three years.

Who cares...? Let's say that UConn got 7 players (1 a 5 star, the other are unknown <1 from Vermont, 1 from New Hampshire, 1 from Alaska, 1 from Japan, 1 from Korea and 1 from Estonia.> and ECU got 7 5 star players from Texas, ECU would be rated higher than us, but let's say that the class won the AAC. The recruiting class won't be adjusted to make us #1.

Reaction Score
The proof of decent recruiting is in the pudding....after eight straight seasons at below .500, having a winning season would mean that recruiting is moving in the right direction.

Some will say that moving up to 5-7 is an improvement...I'd say that it is an incremental improvement and what should be demanded.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The proof of decent recruiting is in the pudding....after eight straight seasons at below .500, having a winning season would mean that recruiting is moving in the right direction.

Some will say that moving up to 5-7 is an improvement...I'd say that it is an incremental improvement and what should be demanded.

what happens when they dont win 5?

Reaction Score
Don't win 5...the coaches and program are stagnating.

Like the Foreign Legion's demand..."March or die"...It's win or die
for the football program...going 10 years straight with losing seasons is difficult to bounce back from.

No incremental improvement....tough decisions must made.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Don't win 5...the coaches and program are stagnating.

Like the Foreign Legion's demand..."March or die"...It's win or die
for the football program...going 10 years straight with losing seasons is difficult to bounce back from.

No incremental improvement....tough decisions must made.

Maybe there is a living coach that can win 5 games with this roster...but I’m not sure I’d bet on that.

Reaction Score
They probably said the same of Duke...who had a horrible run of losing seasons...including eight seasons of less than two wins.

Duke, before Cutcliffe, had won just 10 games in 8 seasons.

He has taken them to six bowls, an ACC championship match and final national rankings in two years...the first in 50 years.

Duke is no football power, for sure, but improved from where they were.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They probably said the same of Duke...who had a horrible run of losing seasons...including eight seasons of less than two wins.

Duke, before Cutcliffe, had won just 10 games in 8 seasons.

He has taken them to six bowls, an ACC championship match and final national rankings in two years...the first in 50 years.

Duke is no football power, for sure, but improved from where they were.

I get that you are this weird guy who is completely disconnected from reality with this bizarre need to lecture us... but what the hell does Cutcliffe have to do with this team.

It’s not frigging magic. Cutcliffe got better players at Duke because he’s.... David Cutcliffe.

Reaction Score
Sooo...

You have a bizarre need to lecture on the hopelessness...I point out a similar situation that got better.

You say it's not magic...that Cutcliffe got better players... because "he's David Cutcliffe".

huh?

Cutcliffe does work hard...and has, since 2008, three players make the NFL draft.

You are right..it is not magic..it is not a name...it is recruiting a more competitive team.

I get it that you have given in to the hopelessness of the situation...and maybe for good reason.

I think that five wins is a must or there needs to be a coaching change.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Sooo...

You have a bizarre need to lecture on the hopelessness...I point out a similar situation that got better.

You say it's not magic...that Cutcliffe got better players... because "he's David Cutcliffe".

huh?

Cutcliffe does work hard...and has, since 2008, three players make the NFL draft.

You are right..it is not magic..it is not a name...it is recruiting a more competitive team.

I get it that you have given in to the hopelessness of the situation...and maybe for good reason.

I think that five wins is a must or there needs to be a coaching change.

The thing being that I’m actually a UConn fan so wasting my time talking about UConn makes sense.

You may as well say they need to go 11-1.

They were about 60 points worse than their opponents last year and the roster is potentially worse. They would be vastly improved if they lost by 2 touchdowns everyweek instead of 8.

Reaction Score
Incremental improvement, I guess...losses by two TD's instead of 8.

But I still think that if a cloud of malaise still hangs over the program at the close of next year, an infusion of energy is needed.

There is a lot of similarity between Duke then and UConn now...basketball schools, horrible football record (Duke's was worse over time, comparatively).

The difference...a coach that breathed some life into the program and had Lazarus actually stumbling around.

And, yeah...I'm not a UConn guy nor am I from the northeast. I am a football guy who has watched football from many teams and regions for a long lifetime. It is my interest..a general more than specific fandom.

When someone plays "gatekeeper" to stop a conversation, I understand that is their only answer to a cogent point.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Incremental improvement, I guess...losses by two TD's instead of 8.

But I still think that if a cloud of malaise still hangs over the program at the close of next year, an infusion of energy is needed.

There is a lot of similarity between Duke then and UConn now...basketball schools, horrible football record (Duke's was worse over time, comparatively).

The difference...a coach that breathed some life into the program and had Lazarus actually stumbling around.

And, yeah...I'm not a UConn guy nor am I from the northeast. I am a football guy who has watched football from many teams and regions for a long lifetime. It is my interest..a general more than specific fandom.

When someone plays "gatekeeper" to stop a conversation, I understand that is their only answer to a cogent point.

nobody is playing gatekeeper you just talk out of our arse.

i dont know anything about your team but lemme tell ya blah blah blah

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
what happens when they dont win 5?
Well for me, a little uptick in my consumption of alcohol on game days. For away games I find myself taking the dog for long walks afterward. Kind of clears my head a bit.

Reaction Score
I have watched UConn football...and it is more than youth...more than lack of talent...

It is also a disorganized defense...and that is layed on coaching.

Kids out of position, kids confused at the snap about responsibilities..

Iron that out in spring and preseason camp.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom