UConn football program, fighting recent losing trend, sets sights on higher level | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn football program, fighting recent losing trend, sets sights on higher level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Some of you sound ridiculous right now. How have 2 5-7 seasons undone all that we've done since 2002? Of course national perception is better than you think, Boots, because you seem to think the country thinks we're Indiana in football. P's winning percentage here would make him the most successful coach at Indiana in 20 years and one of their most successful in school history. How do 2 5-7 seasons make us Indiana? I think some of you do a better job keeping our good years in perspective than keeping our "bad" years in perspective. Northwestern hasn't won a bowl game in over 60 years. Sure, we've hit a rough patch, but it's not like we turned into Old Rutgers overnight.

Reaction Score
"Greg Schiano did the same thing at Rutgers. Think about Rutgers football before Schaino got there and where it is now. If I'm a UConn fan and I see that happening to Rutgers, I have to believe that it can happen for UConn, too."

It's incredible how far we've fallen in national perception in the P era.

Being compared to pre-Schiano Rutgers now. God almighty.

That Rutgers quote was a head scratcher. Does this guy realize that we came from 1AA and accomplished more in a decade than Rutgers has in their entire miserable existence?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
How have 2 5-7 seasons undone all that we've done since 2002?

I find myself again reaching back to a scene from the old Newhart show where Dick is interviewing the owner of the world's smallest horse.

"How do you know it's the world's smallest horse?"
"Just look at him!"

How has P undone all our progress? Did you see the Temple game? USF? WMU? ....

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I find myself again reaching back to a scene from the old Newhart show where Dick is interviewing the owner of the world's smallest horse.

"How do you know it's the world's smallest horse?"
"Just look at him!"

How has P undone all our progress? Did you see the Temple game? USF? WMU? ....

Then UCD carefully whispers into Waquoit's ear, "Good job in not mentioning to MattP about road victories at Maryland and Louisville....otherwise, he wouldn't believe us!!!" :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that I thought UConn is perceived as akin to Indiana in football. But with all the Big East ripping that has gone on over the years I was surprised UConn was getting as much respect as I got in my feedback. It's not as though the Huskies have been dominating the league. Let me say I was pleasant surprised.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Some of you sound ridiculous right now. How have 2 5-7 seasons undone all that we've done since 2002? Of course national perception is better than you think, Boots, because you seem to think the country thinks we're Indiana in football. P's winning percentage here would make him the most successful coach at Indiana in 20 years and one of their most successful in school history. How do 2 5-7 seasons make us Indiana? I think some of you do a better job keeping our good years in perspective than keeping our "bad" years in perspective. Northwestern hasn't won a bowl game in over 60 years. Sure, we've hit a rough patch, but it's not like we turned into Old Rutgers overnight.

Agreed. This blame PP for all our problems is absurd. He's been coaching with Edsall's players. Have they underperformed, especially on offense? Yes. But they shouldn't have won at Louisville either based on talent. I think it will improve.

I hated the PP hire, not because I didn't think he could coach, but because he's an old retread and I wanted somebody exciting. The program needed energy and enthusiasm even more than it needed competence. Losing a high scoring game still exites the fans. Losing while failing to score any TDs in the second half in almost every game is just boring as hell. The worst sin PP has comitted is that he made the team boring, and we cannot afford that. We need to make news. We need to be on the ESPN highlights as much as possible.

Reaction Score
Then UCD carefully whispers into Waquoit's ear, "Good job in not mentioning to MattP about road victories at Maryland and Louisville....otherwise, he wouldn't believe us!!!" :rolleyes:

Sorry Dan but.......

image.jpg

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Sorry Dan but.......

View attachment 1932

No reason to facepalm. I was commenting on the fact that Waquoit brought up three games this year to drive home his point. I was pointing out which games he conveniently left out.

Am I arguing that it was a successful season? Hell f#$king no. But I agree with MattP in the sense that it didn't destroy a program. Even Jesus would agree with that...(and then he would spite me for writing "Hell f#$king no" in bold italics)...

Reaction Score
Agreed, UConn is a difficult place to recruit, but the right coach can recruit. Our current coach is just not the right guy for the job. Selling UConn on academics borders on the ridiculous. You can sell UConn as a program that is on the rise, and especially as a program in the East that has the support of the entire state behind it. I defy any school that can claim that located in the East.

Reaction Score
Agreed, UConn is a difficult place to recruit, but the right coach can recruit. Our current coach is just not the right guy for the job. Selling UConn on academics borders on the ridiculous. You can sell UConn as a program that is on the rise, and especially as a program in the East that has the support of the entire state behind it. I defy any school that can claim that located in the East.

Selling UConn academics to some is not ridiculous (I think SH would agree):

2014 QB Recruit Andrew Ford:

I'm very high on UConn at this point in the process and everything the University stands for academically and athletically," said Ford, who is 6-foot-3 and 190 pounds. "I'm positive that if the talks continue to go the way they have so far, UConn would be a tough school for me to turn down."

Penn State, UVA, PItt, MD, Northwestern and Virginia all interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom