UConn football program, fighting recent losing trend, sets sights on higher level | The Boneyard

UConn football program, fighting recent losing trend, sets sights on higher level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thank you for sharing that. It put a lot out there.

Reaction Score
The first step for us, is the most cost effective one. Hire the right coach, with the right staff. You can't buy history and tradition, but you can get the right leader to put this operation in the best position to compete.

And, you had better come up with better selling points than that! So boring. "Come here and play for UConn, you'll get a degree and you can be 1st Round Draft Pick like Donald Brown".

Is that what we are getting now?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Just piffle. Nothing that can be taken seriously with the current HC.

Reaction Score
If I were a blue chip recruit or any kind of recruit, and some coach gave me a pitch like that, I would think that I was being recruited by a school that didn't care that much about winning football games.

Reaction Score
It's an interesting read, but the one part i quibble about is the history. None of the kids being recruited remembers the Yankee Conference, none of them remember the SEC not being king of the hill, none of them remember Oregon pre-2K, etc. History for recruits is the last few years and the fact that we can't sell our history is not because we can't point to what we did in the 60s and 70s; it's because we have done nothing this decade.

Reaction Score
In college football its all about the Head Coach. . . . . . and UConn is currently ill-equipped for success.

Reaction Score
It's an interesting read, but the one part i quibble about is the history. None of the kids being recruited remembers the Yankee Conference, none of them remember the SEC not being king of the hill, none of them remember Oregon pre-2K, etc. History for recruits is the last few years and the fact that we can't sell our history is not because we can't point to what we did in the 60s and 70s; it's because we have done nothing this decade.

And instead of being rewarded for our BE Champs and playing in the Fiesta Bowl we were excoriated by the media and dumped by our coach. Following up with 2 stinkers and expansion snubs doesn't do much to quiet: the naysayers. We need to change the dynamic in the near term.

Reaction Score
More important than the coach, its all about winning, the league, post season, potential for draft, etc.

The NY Times article is right on........a very difficult recruiting job got more difficult. You're not playing teams in the ACC, or the BIG, and no definite bowl tie ins that would excite any athlete or parent.

UConn could miraculously go 36-0 (in my hopes/dreams) the next 3 years, and still end up in the Pinstripe Bowl.

We couldn't out recruit former BE teams "on an equal footing"....... I don't care who the coach is, does anybody realistically think better local/regional talent will choose the BE over ACC/BIG?

Does anybody realistically think a coach with a "sexy resume" will look to come to BE/UConn to enhance his resume?

Cincinnatti got Tuberville only because they have been and will continue to be good. I don't think they are selling the idea to recruits of being in the BE for the duration. Tuberville didn't buy into the BE for the duration either.

Reaction Score
"it'll increase the talk of expanding because of demand. I'm not looking to wait 10 years before we do it."

I guess I'm the only optimist that will focus on his statement that the stadium will be expanded within the next ten years? I know there's mixed opinions on whether it's a good idea yet, but looking at the recent conference additions it seems like stadium expansion will be a necessity if we want to move to the ACC or B1G.

Reaction Score
With all due respect to the writer this is a classic no- article. It's written as if Pasqualoni is going to be the coach for the next 1,000 years.
A dynamic coach can turn all of this around. Once you get a recruit in that facility & on campus you need someone who can close a sale. Sad that WM/SH/McHugh/trustees have decided to "play it safe" & "go by the book"

Reaction Score
We are in a world of hurt if were stuck in the big east and don't get an invite to a power 5 conference in the next two years. The boneyarders will be the only people at the rent to watch Tulane and Memphis, and good luck recruiting against the BiG and ACC schools all around us.

We could hope to get lucky and find that next great young up and coming coach and hope he stays at least four years. I'm talking Urban Meyer at Bowling Green good.

Reaction Score
What the article implies is we need a "name" head coach to attract the recruits. Then winning can attract the next wave. While winning and attendance are spuring expansion, meanwhile, on a parrallel track, our academic and research platform is elevated to AAU status. We are then a prime candidate for the next wave of expansion and realignment. But back to coaching. Names are iffy things. For every Tuberville there's a Wandstadt. Frankly, let's hope for a new OC next year, a turnaround year for PP and a bowl game. Given our current circumstance, that's better than wishing for failure so we can get a new coach.

Reaction Score
What the article implies is we need a "name" head coach to attract the recruits. Then winning can attract the next wave. While winning and attendance are spuring expansion, meanwhile, on a parrallel track, our academic and research platform is elevated to AAU status. We are then a prime candidate for the next wave of expansion and realignment. But back to coaching. Names are iffy things. For every Tuberville there's a Wandstadt. Frankly, let's hope for a new OC next year, a turnaround year for PP and a bowl game. Given our current circumstance, that's better than wishing for failure so we can get a new coach.

Ya think there is speculation about getting a new OC after the wonderful 3 points scored in the 2nd half of BE games. that is imperative, if they expect the attendance to go up in the future. It goes without saying that success brings the fans to the games. GDL is not the key to that success.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
GDL is not the key to that success.

GDL is just a symptom. P is the cause. I think that Cuse fan has it nailed. P is going to name himself the playcaller.

Reaction Score
You can emphasize academics all you want but this football program needs energy and the head coach had better get that end of the sales pitch to a new level or he and GDL will become legendary in Connecticut and not in a good way. P looked too comfortable in his postgame interview after Cinci. Looked like being bowl ineligable for the second year wasn't that disapointing. Maybe having a Coach who is happy where he's at isn't that good a thing after all. Our audition for Big Boy football starts next season. We'd better make some noise. PP and GDL are on the clock.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
"Greg Schiano did the same thing at Rutgers. Think about Rutgers football before Schaino got there and where it is now. If I'm a UConn fan and I see that happening to Rutgers, I have to believe that it can happen for UConn, too."

It's incredible how far we've fallen in national perception in the P era.

Being compared to pre-Schiano Rutgers now. God almighty.

Reaction Score
"It's incredible how far we've fallen in national perception in the P era.

I was thinking that same thing. It made me shiver.

Reaction Score
The Addazio hire fries my . Perfect fit. Warde fiddles while UConn football burns to the ground. He lacks the guts or sense to make a strong move. He's hoping KO works out and that can carry his rearend so he can play the role without getting anything done.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
"Greg Schiano did the same thing at Rutgers. Think about Rutgers football before Schaino got there and where it is now. If I'm a UConn fan and I see that happening to Rutgers, I have to believe that it can happen for UConn, too."

It's incredible how far we've fallen in national perception in the P era.

I believe the correct response would be, "Great Googly Moogly."

WTF is also acceptable.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
How far has UConn fallen in the national perception? You really think anyone outside of CT is impressed with UConn's body of work so far? I think people expected UConn to be terrible when they moved to D1A, sort of like the Duke football of the BE - and it didn't happen. So it was a nice story. But it should all be kept in perspective. UConn has gone bowling - a bunch of mid tier bowls. Great. A BCS bowl with a 4 loss team and the nation cried about the injustice of such an undeserving team getting in. And then proceeds to get blown out by OU. A win at ND. In overtime against a mediocre Irish team that sees its coach fired shortly thereafter.
I'd love to see UConn become great, don't get me wrong. But you have to be in a lofty place before you can fall far, and if you think the nation has ever been impressed with UConn football, I couldn't disagree with you more.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
How far has UConn fallen in the national perception? You really think anyone outside of CT is impressed with UConn's body of work so far? I think people expected UConn to be terrible when they moved to D1A, sort of like the Duke football of the BE - and it didn't happen. So it was a nice story. But it should all be kept in perspective. UConn has gone bowling - a bunch of mid tier bowls. Great. A BCS bowl with a 4 loss team and the nation cried about the injustice of such an undeserving team getting in. And then proceeds to get blown out by OU. A win at ND. In overtime against a mediocre Irish team that sees its coach fired shortly thereafter.
I'd love to see UConn become great, don't get me wrong. But you have to be in a lofty place before you can fall far, and if you think the nation has ever been impressed with UConn football, I couldn't disagree with you more.

During the Edsall years, I think most knowledgeable college football respected UConn's body of work in such a short period of time.

Nobody in the SEC or B1G was going to say UConn was a great team, but I think everyone knew we were solid.

Regardless of where we fell on the national scale in the Edsall years it was typically solid/average. Now, after two 5-7 seasons, you would think we are one of the worst programs in FBS by the way people talk about UConn.

It's a small thing, but I remember Herbstreit picking UConn over Michigan 3 seasons ago on College Gameday. Now, that's one guy and one (wrong) prediction, but I think if you would have told UConn/the country in 2002 that a respected analyst would have been picked UConn over Michigan in Ann Arbor, I think you would have been called crazy.

We fought for respect the past decade and I think we won most fans over. However, the past two seasons have seemingly erased all that equity.

Reaction Score
During the Edsall years, I think most knowledgeable college football respected UConn's body of work in such a short period of time.
Agreed.

Nobody in the SEC or B1G was going to say UConn was a great team, but I think everyone knew we were solid. Take that Stevie Superior and the Gamecocks.
Regardless of where we fell on the national scale in the Edsall years it was typically solid/average. Now, after two 5-7 seasons, you would think we are one of the worst programs in FBS by the way people talk about UConn.

It's a small thing, but I remember Herbstreit picking UConn over Michigan 3 seasons ago on College Gameday. Now, that's one guy and one (wrong) prediction, but I think if you would have told UConn/the country in 2002 that a respected analyst would have been picked UConn over Michigan in Ann Arbor, I think you would have been called crazy. No doubt UConn was crashing the party.

We fought for respect the past decade and I think we won most fans over. However, the past two seasons have seemingly erased all that equity.

Great observations. Paul Pasqualoni from the second he was hired has undone all the good that UConn had put together since 2002. Too bad, not his fault, he never was the right guy for the job but got stuck in it.

Reaction Score
I spent the afternoon asking my friends around the country what their take on UConn football is. Surprising to me the opinions were a lot more positive than I imagined so I stand corrected on what i thought national perception of the program was. People generally seemed. To think of it as s program on the rise but was hurt by bring in a weak Big East, and almost everyone felt that recruiting was taking s hit over the last 3 years due to conference realignment and uncertainty in the college landscape - not necessarily due to either coaching staff.

Only one person I asked flat out disliked PP. A few felt PP was ok but doomed because he won't part ways with GDL - big surprise.

Overall the feeling was that UConn's future looks bleak more so by conference affiliation than anything else.

I made sure my "survey" was conducted with non-UConn fans. Just food for thought. I'm sure everyone has groups of their own with widely varying opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom