UConn football coach Jim Mora on what it will take for his vision of the program to become a reality… | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn football coach Jim Mora on what it will take for his vision of the program to become a reality…

Reaction Score
Benedict has to address it and confirm his vision of the program. Mora will leave and find another program that will sign on to his terms. He may love the University but he'll can find others. He is hot, and he will be part of talk for coach of the year even with a .500 team, first year, imagine that!! He's great on all fronts, visible with media and we've been a basement program, now on the perceived rise. He knows how to make it work, and we need to keep him. He's so positive for the school, look how he's viewed in all eyes. Find a way!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I remember about a decade and a half ago, speaking with some admins about men's lacrosse (and hearing why we couldn't add the sport) and in large part, total participation (for title IX balancing) was potentially a larger problem than the additional scholarships.

We have a lot of capacity for additional female, non-scholarhip athletes (we could add 15-20 in track & field alone and match it with other sports), we just need to put the investment in to find female athletes to add as non-scholarhip participants.

I don't know what the cost would be but we are decades past time to find out.

Reaction Score
It's really time to get to the bare minimum of sports so that we can devote resources to the sports that matter. Obviously, we need to keep Title IX considerations, but moves need to be made.
I hate to go against anyone with the name Shizzle Televizzle and I know that most will disagree with me, but I have a problem with this approach. The college experience is about being inclusive, not exclusive. My friends who rowed crew and played tennis were just as important to the college experience as the football and basketball players. I loved playing college baseball even though it wasn’t a money-making endeavor for my university. Where do we draw the line?

Reaction Score
Last week I asked this august body if we should be thinking contract extension with Mora.

The consensus here was that Mora would stay here for the long haul out of the goodness of his own heart and to build a legacy.

Well, now that we have this quote we know that isn’t true.

The school has to do something to match his commitment or this is in his view a total waste of his time.

He is just not going to stay here while his coaches get hired away each year and his recruiting visits are on a Dollar Tree budget.
on one hand yes but it’s not UConns fault he was desperate for this job and didn’t research it before accepting it. Hell he didn’t use an agent. Still he is right

Reaction Score
Benedict has to address it and confirm his vision of the program. Mora will leave and find another program that will sign on to his terms. He may love the University but he'll can find others. He is hot, and he will be part of talk for coach of the year even with a .500 team, first year, imagine that!! He's great on all fronts, visible with media and we've been a basement program, now on the perceived rise. He knows how to make it work, and we need to keep him. He's so positive for the school, look how he's viewed in all eyes. Find a way!

Silly goose. I would bet that Mora and Benedict are in cahoots.

This is calculated.

Reaction Score
… and his recruiting visits are on a Dollar Tree budget.

I need to find the most recent number i saw but UConn has not historically nickeled and dimed the actual football recruiting budget. I don’t think this is the root of any concern.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I hate to go against anyone with the name Shizzle Televizzle and I know that most will disagree with me, but I have a problem with this approach. The college experience is about being inclusive, not exclusive. My friends who rowed crew and played tennis were just as important to the college experience as the football and basketball players. I loved playing college baseball even though it wasn’t a money-making endeavor for my university. Where do we draw the line?
Rowing and tennis don't pay the bills. Basketball and football do. The line is the NCAA minimum. We are not a P5 or Ivy League school. We can't afford to have 21 sports and compete in all of the ones that matter. There wouldn't need to be a lot of cuts but there would need to be a few.

Reaction Score
Last week I asked this august body if we should be thinking contract extension with Mora.

The consensus here was that Mora would stay here for the long haul out of the goodness of his own heart and to build a legacy.

Well, now that we have this quote we know that isn’t true.

The school has to do something to match his commitment or this is in his view a total waste of his time.

He is just not going to stay here while his coaches get hired away each year and his recruiting visits are on a Dollar Tree budget.
Anyone who thinks Mora will hang around because he’s a sweet guy is sorely mistaken. He’s an economic animal like the rest of us. As much as we hate to say it, UConn football is not a destination job. Sorry.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
I need to find the most recent number i saw but UConn has not historically nickeled and dimes the actual football recruiting budget. I don’t think this is the root of any concern.

Benedict, made him aware of the whole situation..IMO he's laying ground work to take a P5 job..

Reaction Score
I need to find the most recent number i saw but UConn has not historically nickeled and dimes the actual football recruiting budget. I don’t think this is the root of any concern.

I disagree.

I’m only going by what came out of Jim Mora’s mouth.

He specifically mentioned recruiting visiits.

It couldn’t be more clear.

Reaction Score
We gotta find the context here. HCJM and AD Dave Benedict no doubt hashed out the entire situation of what Mora was getting involved with. We're not even through season 1 yet so I'm thinking he has no complaints. It's all part of the grand plan for HIM to come here and lift UCONN Football to where we want it to be. Might as well start asking for $$ now while the goings good.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Nice info Medic!

One caveat: considering our local recruiting territory we should be higher than (then) peers in Ohio (Cincinnati), Florida (USF), etc solely on travel required to where many players are playing HS ball.

Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks Mora will hang around because he’s a sweet guy is sorely mistaken. He’s an economic animal like the rest of us. As much as we hate to say it, UConn football is not a destination job. Sorry.

I think he wants it to be his destination. He’s trying to make it a better place.

If you guys actually follow college football you know that the better college coaches will always use this tactic to get what they want. Or they leave.

This is just the first time a UConn FB coach did it this publicly.

Edsall used to have to go hat in hand to Burton to get money for his projects.

Reaction Score
on one hand yes but it’s not UConns fault he was desperate for this job and didn’t research it before accepting it. Hell he didn’t use an agent. Still he is right
Desperate?? Do you think maybe the other schools didn't see him as an interested coach? Maybe the AD had a open mind and ask the question, "would you consider being our coach". Didn't have any reason to not consider him, it was a great find and maybe Benedict did something others wouldn't consider.

Reaction Score
Benedict, made him aware of the whole situation..IMO he's laying ground work to take a P5 job..
I disagree.

I’m only going by what came out of Jim Mora’s mouth.

He specifically mentioned recruiting visiits.

It couldn’t be more clear.

He mentioned a lot of things in 1:46. He referenced the whole university/recruiting experience needs to keep getting better. Spending close to $500k on recruiting for just football is not a “Dollar Tree” budget in comparison to other peer schools.

Reaction Score
In terms of roster size, I'd way rather invest in players 1-22 than anything beyond 85.

Reaction Score
Football Budgets.
Texas 147 million
Michigan 139 million
Ohio State 132 million
Notre Dame 120 million
Liberty. 45 million (2017)
UConn 17.2 million (2019)
Central Ct. 313K (2017)
I suggest the high rollers mentioned above have BIG DONORS paying allot of the freight. Not saying anything the majority on this board do not already know.
State not riding to the rescue in MOP.

Reaction Score
He mentioned a lot of things in 1:46. He referenced the whole university/recruiting experience needs to keep getting better. Spending close to $500k on recruiting for just football is not a “Dollar Tree” budget.

Sure it is. Just look at what peers are spending.

Only 30% of the total budget goes towards football.

How many athletic scholarships does UConn offer? What percentage of the total scholarships is football?

Get real. That’s pathetic. We are a tough sell for recruits. You can’t make up ground sending brochures and emails.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Nah. He could've had one of those if he wanted. His initial comments were about not having to deal with politics and boosters and ridiculous expectations. Now he's setting the expectations.

Looking at that list of top 55 recruiting budgets, UConn's overall recruiting budget is decent, but the share for football is in the bottom five. If Mora got another $300K just for football, that would put UConn on par with most of the PAC12. I think that's doable.

Reaction Score
Nah. He could've had one of those if he wanted. His initial comments were about not having to deal with politics and boosters and ridiculous expectations. Now he's setting the expectations.

Looking at that list of top 55 recruiting budgets, UConn's overall recruiting budget is decent, but the share for football is in the bottom five. If Mora got another $300K just for football, that would put UConn on par with most of the PAC12. I think that's doable.

It’s a fairly old article too. It just shows how little the school was doing for program back then.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
For the purpose of full disclosure:

I have a hunch that I'll hit Powerball on the next drawing (if only one winner, the lump sum payout after taxes will be close to half a billion dollars).

If I do, anything Mora believes he needs to compete for a national title will be covered.

And will will have a men's lacrosse program (and restore many programs that were dropped over the past couple of decades).

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Shouldn’t someone be asking what the point is though? You spend 3 million+ per year more on football, just to retain some coaches and maybe upgrade some things here and there, but it’s all just more debt for the university unless it leads to an ACC invite.

If he’s gonna threaten to leave over that, we should probably let him.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Shouldn’t someone be asking what the point is though? You spend 3 million+ per year more on football, just to retain some coaches and maybe upgrade some things here and there, but it’s all just more debt for the university unless it leads to an ACC invite.

If he’s gonna threaten to leave over that, we should probably let him.
If that's the attitude we should join the Patriot league.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom