UConn Football clearing the decks for next Coach? | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn Football clearing the decks for next Coach?

Reaction Score
What improvement has there been on defense? They just allowed 30 to Vandy... come on now.
Vandy has a good QB who was making plays. Besides, 30 points in college football isn’t that much anymore. Thirty points is a bad day for both teams in the B12.

Our guys are making plays, hitting harder and wrapping up better. We are getting better. You have to be realistic about how fast we can go from worst in football to “good”.

Reaction Score
To get a coach who commands $3.5M means you are getting his O and D coordinators and coordinators who work for a $3.5M coach get $750k each. And then there's the rest of the staff.

A $3.5M HC means $3M in asst coach pay.

If UConn is willing to do that and has the resources lined up to do that, color me excited.

From recent reports UConn is all in and money won’t be an issue this time.

Reaction Score
[TD]Joe Moorhead *[/TD]
[TD]Mississippi State[/TD]
[TD]SEC[/TD]
[TD]$2,600,000[/TD]

*Joe Moorhead's current salary:
View attachment 70230
[/QUOTE]

$2.6m at Miss St and currently at $900k but some say he “will not come” if UConn offers between $3-$3.5m a year he’ll definitely consider. It’ll be hard to turn that down when you’re only making $900k. Fingers crossed

Reaction Score
Vandy has a good QB who was making plays. Besides, 30 points in college football isn’t that much anymore. Thirty points is a bad day for both teams in the B12.

Our guys are making plays, hitting harder and wrapping up better. We are getting better. You have to be realistic about how fast we can go from worst in football to “good”.

The 30 scored by Vandy was the most points scored in a game this season this season...

Reaction Score

You do know that Vandy is in the bottom with us sorry teams right? And that sorry team put up 30 points on us. Smh. Spanos is not getting the job bro let it go. If he turned it around without Mazzone then yeah you give him a good look, but this team has gotten better since Mazzone arrived. I would rather give him a consideration over Spanos.

Reaction Score
A.D. Dave has a keen eye for identifying coaching talent. He brought Lashlee in as O.C. & FHCRE destroyed that relationship. (Lashlee's wife not liking the area is a great cover story). He pulled the plug on K.O. & replaced him with Dan Hurley.
This will be his litmus test. He will be unfettered by constraints of boosters, area high school coaches, or the fanbase at large.
I trust D.B. to get this hire right. If he succeeds , he's just doing his job. Failure would be a huge blot on his professional resume & he doesn't want that as his legacy.
Lashlee leaving because of his wife is like Don Brown leaving MD and RE because he wanted to be closer to home.

Reaction Score
You do know that Vandy is in the bottom with us sorry teams right? And that sorry team put up 30 points on us. Smh. Spanos is not getting the job bro let it go. If he turned it around without Mazzone then yeah you give him a good look, but this team has gotten better since Mazzone arrived. I would rather give him a consideration over Spanos.
Again. I’ve said nowhere that Spanos should get the job. He is however, doing a great job making this team presentable. Anyone arguing to the contrary is an imbecile. The difference in performance is dramatic to say the least.

I’m loving Mazzone. No issue there. Not sure why you are saying I’m pro-Spanos. The only thing I’ve said in that regard is that if Spanos can win a few and keep Clemson and UCF close, he deserves a look. I stand by that. He’ll need to really impress in 5+ games to meet that standard.

Reaction Score
Lashlee leaving because of his wife is like Don Brown leaving MD and RE because he wanted to be closer to home.
Lol. It seems everyone who can leaves Randy after the Fiesta Bowl. I think the Fiesta Bowl boosted Randy’s ego a bit too much.

Reaction Score
[TD]Joe Moorhead *[/TD]
[TD]Mississippi State[/TD]
[TD]SEC[/TD]
[TD]$2,600,000[/TD]

*Joe Moorhead's current salary:
View attachment 70230

$2.6m at Miss St and currently at $900k but some say he “will not come” if UConn offers between $3-$3.5m a year he’ll definitely consider. It’ll be hard to turn that down when you’re only making $900k. Fingers crossed

He will turn it down if he can get a gig at P5 school. He would make the same and would likely have better resources and an easier time recruiting.

We need to be more realistic here. His name is being mentioned for other potential openings - he’s going to get offered that money somewhere else - the question is when. Why jump at the first opportunity when there’s potentially a better one out there?

Reaction Score

Vandy's offense entered the game ranked 129th (of 130) in points scored (12.5 points per game) and 123rd in yards per game. They are/were a terrible offense and that QB was under fire for poor play.

Yeah they had played Georgia, but they also had played (and lost) to a 1AA (East Tennessee State) team scoring only 3 points in the process. The 30 points they scored against UConn was a TD better than their previous high (the 24-21 win over Colorado State).

That was a bad Vanderbilt team... and while it was a better defensive performance than UConn had shown earlier in the season (really through the Army game defensively) it was not a great performance.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It’s amazing people would want a DC that’s defense is allowing 39 pts a game(and that’s with team taking their foot off that gas). If this were a P5 team Spanos would be gone by now
No no I read here that he’s the 2nd coming of… joe Moorhead? Any time you can take a nice enough coach with a terrible defense and no wins you gotta take it I guess.

I wish him success in his future endeavors.

Reaction Score
He will turn it down if he can get a gig at P5 school. He would make the same and would likely have better resources and an easier time recruiting.

We need to be more realistic here. His name is being mentioned for other potential openings - he’s going to get offered that money somewhere else - the question is when. Why jump at the first opportunity when there’s potentially a better one out there?
We’ll have to wait and see, no one knows what move he’ll make. At the end of the day we’re just stating our opinions. Moorhead who was once our OC and wanted this HCing job when Edsall first left is not unrealistic… Saban is an unrealistic option. Stop thinking so small of UConn.

Reaction Score

Lol is that the same good Qb that put up a whopping 3 against an FCS team? Keep making excuses for allowing a crappy Vandy team to score 30. Just imagine if Fresno and Army didn’t take the foot off the gas this defense would be allowing 45+ pts a game lol. Crocker could probably do a better job than what Spanos is doing with the defense

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Lol is that the same good Qb that put up a whopping 3 against an FCS team? Keep making excuses for allowing a crappy Vandy team to score 30. Just imagine if Fresno and Army didn’t take the foot off the gas this defense would be allowing 45+ pts a game lol. Crocker could probably do a better job than what Spanos is doing with the defense
It doesn’t have to be completely black and white. I agree that Vandy’s QB was not good at all but the defense has made noticeable progress from our first 2.5 games. Of course, that progress was from the worst imaginable performance to just being semi-competent but I look forward to seeing if we continue to progress through the season.

Reaction Score
In a situation like this, I'm a full blown skeptic of "reports".

As a 20th C. philosopher opined, "Show me the money.".
Chin, 3:04AM? Aren't you done with your service commitment?

Reaction Score
He's in Europe right now, maybe at a hash bar.
He didn't invite us?! Wow, so selfish. There's plenty of hash, Chin!

merlin smoking GIF

Reaction Score
That's what I'm thinking. I trust AD Dave as much as anyone to ID a candidate. And if we're willing to go to $3.5M, use that on the staff. That might help in recruiting the HC. In any event, just putting out $3.5M like it's a magic number makes no sense to me.
Cincinnati has a significantly smaller athletic budget than UConn and will be paying Fickell double that 2.3 mil. If UConn wants to attract a legit FBS coach they need to spend the money. 2.3 gets you an decent FCS HC, but they can afford more. Easily if the BoT wasn't some greedy, hard headed bunch of rich guys that only want to make more money for themselves than actually help any aspect of the school. If they wanted to school to succeed TomKat wouldn't have been essentially forced out.

Reaction Score
It is incredibly sad to see how many people just keep bringing up hiring the interim for a full-time gig. He's the coordinator of one of the worst defenses in the country. Are you kidding me? Have you all really become so resigned to losing that you're ok with that?

DB knows that this is his one and only chance to get it right. He is not going to hire IHC-LS just because he brought in a legit OC as a consultant and is taking his advice.

Please just stop with that over done suggestion. Dave doesn't care about decommits, he doesn't care that the current kids seem to like and respect Spanos. He cares about winning and now has the freedom to make the best decision that he can make for the future of UConn football and college football in our state.

If Spanos gets the interim tag removed that's Dave throwing in the towel and telling the world he is comfortable enough at UConn and has no aspirations to be a Power 5 AD.
Only way I see Spanos keeping the job is if he wins the remaining games. I like spanos and love his fire, but if we can bring in a proven winner, no way we keep Spanos around.

AD Dave has killed it since he took over for Warde. He was shoe strung into hiring edsall because he was affordable after firing of Diaco. I think he will knock it out of the park for HC. But he's career is going to live or die by the assistant pool.

Reaction Score
No no I read here that he’s the 2nd coming of… joe Moorhead? Any time you can take a nice enough coach with a terrible defense and no wins you gotta take it I guess.

I wish him success in his future endeavors.
If this was a P5 team, Randy would not been hired a second time. With that, we would have a coach that would take us to major bowls...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Cincinnati has a significantly smaller athletic budget than UConn and will be paying Fickell double that 2.3 mil.
But that's a raise for a job well done. He was making $2.3M. Why can't we get the next Fickell for $2.3M?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom