UConn Football adds Yale (2021) and FIU (2025/2027) to future schedules | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Football adds Yale (2021) and FIU (2025/2027) to future schedules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Alternate access link here <<

>>UConn will play a schedule in its first year of independent football that has Yale at home, Clemson on the road and Wyoming stuck somewhere in the middle. It’s a wild ride. UConn athletic director David Benedict was trying the find the most sensical game remaining on the board. “If it’s a good game, a good experience, there’s a big crowd and the state’s really excited about it, why wouldn’t we play?” Benedict said. “I’d love for us to sell it out.”<<

>>UConn already has FCS Holy Cross on its 2021 schedule. An FBS team can count one win per season toward bowl eligibility against an FCS team and only if it awards athletic aid equivalent to 56.7 scholarships (90 percent of the limit) over a period of a few years. It’s a stupid rule. Yale, which will receive a $285,000 guarantee from UConn, does not give athletic scholarships. Central Connecticut, which will receive $275,000 guarantees for each game at Rentschler in 2022 and 2025, fits that criteria.<<

Reaction Score
The pressure will clearly be on UConn for the Yale game. It will be a very interesting event.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The Boneyard: “UConn football has never and in the past and should never in the future wear red!”
UConn football in the past:
:
96B3F945-49D1-4CFB-A4E3-1423D8F94715.jpg

Reaction Score
Lane has moved on to Ole Miss. Glad to see Yale on the schedule, that used to be our big game at the Bowl. Game usually drew around 30,000 back in the day.
And another 40,000 in the parking lots tailgating and never going to the gane.

Reaction Score
Red? I have to get my eyes checked. I thought that was Syracuse or Illinois in the picture.
UConn use to wear orange to distinguish itself from other area schools like New Hampshire and Yale. Almost called the Orangeman about a century ago.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
UConn use to wear orange to distinguish itself from other area schools like New Hampshire and Yale. Almost called the Orangeman about a century ago.
This can’t be true

edit: had to google it. Wild stuff. I think that picture is more recent than those times though?

it was great of @Butch to let them use one of his old programs from his collection.

Reaction Score
This can’t be true

edit: had to google it. Wild stuff. I think that picture is more recent than those times though?

it was great of @Butch to let them use one of his old programs from his collection.
It is
It's from 1958? I know the blue has changed over the years. The blue was much lighter in the early 70s

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
It is
It's from 1958? I know the blue has changed over the years. The blue was much lighter in the early 70s
The UConn Today article I found mentioned it happening in the 20s.

I’m assuming those are red pants. The inspiration for Bob Diaco’s famous red pants.

Reaction Score
This can’t be true

All I ever had from UConn was that 1924 fob. Wouldn't be surprised if Edsall owns it now.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
FAU.

Very happy with this and should happen every year. Would love to see UConn play at the Yale Bowl.
Me too, my father is probably dancing in heaven after he heard the news

Reaction Score
The UConn Today article I found mentioned it happening in the 20s.

I’m assuming those are red pants. The inspiration for Bob Diaco’s famous red pants.
Are you sure the orange pants are UConn? I imagine those are the captains and Yale traditionally only had 1. Plus I believe Yale always wore white helmets. UConn as the road team would likely where white by the Fifties.

Reaction Score
Looks more like orange to me.

Are you sure the orange pants are UConn? I imagine those are the captains and Yale traditionally only had 1. Plus I believe Yale always wore white helmets. UConn as the road team would likely where white by the Fifties.

>>Although gold has never been part of their official color ensemble, the UConn Huskies wore gold pants almost every season from 1953-63, with blue pants used frequently, too. Why, I'm not sure; unlike Harvard, there was no direct "carryover" from the leatherhead days of khaki-colored pants. UConn last wore tan/khaki in the early 1940s.<<

It’s noted here that the Yale/UConn program that has caused all the questions about the pant colors are actually UConn’s 1957 uniforms - not 1958:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Maybe you’re right. I was going off where UConn and Yale were written on the page

Reaction Score
Actually that is Yale on the left and UConn on the right . Good points Free and DJ. Thanks to Medic for the Gridiron Garb site. interesting history lesson.

Reaction Score
Been to the Yale bowl many, many times. It ain't much. Very old and run down, even with the spruce up a few years ago.

I went to see Harvard blow out Yale at the YB a few years ago. I had forgotten what a miserable place it is to get around in with a crowd of 30,000 plus. To get anywhere (concessions, lavs) you first have to go to that narrow concourse between the upper and lower bowls which is jammed solid, particularly around halftime. What a slog that can be.

Reaction Score
When UConn left the AAC did UConn and the AAC purposely avoid scheduling each other? I see UCF and a few Temple games on the schedule but that's it.

The future schedules are a nice mix of ACC, B1G and other G5. Closer to an ND type schedule. Syracuse, Army and BC several times. No Rutgers games and that was building into a nice rivalry as was Cincinnati.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom