UConn Football adds H/H with UAB (2024/2025) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn Football adds H/H with UAB (2024/2025)

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
This is a two way street and you're going on the assumption that Dave can just pick up the phone and call one of these schools you mentioned and they'll sign up for a series with us. It's nice to want to play them but they need to have an opening and need to also want to play us. All the reasons you gave for Dave to schedule certain teams, applies to the teams you listed as well. I promise you we don't move any needles for P5 or many G5 teams.

Yep. This is why H/H's are crucial - we have a vested interest in visiting the south for recruiting - the reciprocal isn't true.

What we offer is a more competitive game with no buy's - we probably will see a lot of G5 games because of this, especially as the price for buy's increases.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Must you ruin every thread?
Lol, by having an opinion?

In any event, I suspect that we will get more quality home and homes in time. We just transitioned to independent status and COVID played havoc with scheduling. From what I’ve read, heard, and seen, Benedict has found other schools to be pretty receptive to scheduling us. And why not? The name has some brand awareness and for most schools it’s either a sure or plausible win.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If we can get to 3 home games a season against opponents that I actually care about seeing, then Dave can do whatever he wants with the other 3/4.

UAB doesn't make the cut, but on it's own isn't a big deal. We are still transitioning as an independent and it will take time to fill in 12 games far enough in advance to get games the we'd prefer.

Reaction Score
If we can get to 3 home games a season against opponents that I actually care about seeing, then Dave can do whatever he wants with the other 3/4.

UAB doesn't make the cut, but on it's own isn't a big deal. We are still transitioning as an independent and it will take time to fill in 12 games far enough in advance to get games the we'd prefer.
Exactly. This year our home schedule is kind of marginal. But that was to be expected I think. Outside of Purdue and for some odd reason Wyoming nobody gets me excited. Maybe Houston if we are decent. But future years are better. Teams that are interesting. If this works out I suspect they will get better still. I’d love to see us develop a longer range series with BYU and play UMass to end the year. Play them in football Saturday afternoon and hockey at night.

Reaction Score
...there are scheduled home games that look interesting to me..

2022...Cuse, BC, Liberty

2023...Duke, NC State

2024...Army, Temple, Georgia State

And...skip to 2027...Temple, Ole Miss, UNC, Syracuse, Army...

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Lol, by having an opinion?

In any event, I suspect that we will get more quality home and homes in time. We just transitioned to independent status and COVID played havoc with scheduling. From what I’ve read, heard, and seen, Benedict has found other schools to be pretty receptive to scheduling us. And why not? The name has some brand awareness and for most schools it’s either a sure or plausible win.
No, more like p00ping on every thread with gems like:
Dave needs to run things through the fans filter more.

The guy literally has no idea how college football scheduling works, but enters a thread, weeks later, with that nugget.

Reaction Score
Yep. This is why H/H's are crucial - we have a vested interest in visiting the south for recruiting - the reciprocal isn't true.

What we offer is a more competitive game with no buy's - we probably will see a lot of G5 games because of this, especially as the price for buy's increases.
Regarding home and homes and trips for recruiting I created a map with all currently announced road trips. What's interesting is that Uconn doesn't have a trip west of the Mississippi after next year (2022). Probably the only big need is finding a TX H & H series or one-off road game with a high P-5 team in TX. Especially with all the TX recruiting Uconn has done recently and players on the current team ( I counted 12 this year from TX).

1622558491897.jpeg

Last edited:

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Regarding home and homes and trips for recruiting I created a map with all currently announced road trips. What's interesting is that Uconn doesn't have trip west of the Mississippi after next year (2022). Probably the only big need is finding a TX H & H series or one-off road game to a high P-5 team in TX. Especially with all the TX recruiting Uconn has done recently and players they currently have on the team ( I counted 12 this year from TX).

View attachment 67728
Good work there. The TX emptiness is almost certainly ADDave's # 1 to-do list item for scheduling.

CL82

Reaction Score

The guy literally has no idea how college football scheduling works, but enters a thread, weeks later, with that nugget.
Fair criticism. Maybe just respond to it?

CL82

Reaction Score
Regarding home and homes and trips for recruiting I created a map with all currently announced road trips. What's interesting is that Uconn doesn't have a trip west of the Mississippi after next year (2022). Probably the only big need is finding a TX H & H series or one-off road game to a high P-5 team in TX. Especially with all the TX recruiting Uconn has done recently and players on the current team ( I counted 12 this year from TX).

View attachment 67728
This great and well done. Thanks for putting it together.

It seems to suggest a coherent vision of how we view ourselves and our recruiting regions. I wonder whether that is deliberate or just a consequence of who was available and interested. (i.e., Whether it is being shaped by the natural geographic limitation on the schools who would want a H/H with UConn.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This great and well done. Thanks for putting it together.

It seems to suggest a coherent vision of how we view ourselves and our recruiting regions. I wonder whether that is deliberate or just a consequence of who was available and interested. (i.e., Whether it is being shaped by the natural geographic limitation on the schools who would want a H/H with UConn.)
True, It makes you wonder and seems to show that if DB is throwing darts at a map he's certainly aiming East. Saw a similar map done by BYU since they're national. But with Uconn the more schools I added I noticed the pattern. Probably filling in a spot or 2 in central or western PA or 1 in NJ would look appropriate.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Regarding home and homes and trips for recruiting I created a map with all currently announced road trips. What's interesting is that Uconn doesn't have a trip west of the Mississippi after next year (2022). Probably the only big need is finding a TX H & H series or one-off road game to a high P-5 team in TX. Especially with all the TX recruiting Uconn has done recently and players on the current team ( I counted 12 this year from TX).

View attachment 67728
This is awesome, thanks for putting this together Blades.

I’m flabbergasted the Houston game is a one off. Really don’t get why they’d agree to play in EH this year and not even bother with a return game. I mean we aren’t a power house by any means but playing just a road game here and not even bothering with the return game really doesn’t make any sense to me

I think in TX, we could target UTSA, UNT, Rice, MAYBE SMU, and Texas State as H/H series of realistic possibilities. TCU plays only 3 non conference games as part of the 9 game Big XII schedule and plays @ SMU in even years for their annual rivalry game, I’d say the odds of getting them to agree to a game in CT are slim. TTU and TX I don’t see it happening at all. Baylor has played some really random H/H series in the past (Buffalo anyone?) but those days are gone IMO.

This may sound insane but I’d like us to play Tulsa again. It’s a close enough drive from Dallas that parents of the TX kids could come see us play and its also a winnable game. They’d likely come to the Rent for a H/H and that’s the last AAC win we had. They’ve got a future 4 game series with Army so they’re clearly not afraid to come east for games.

I’d like to see us play GA Southern in a series too. Great fan base and Statesboro is a cool college town. Winning history and they fill that place up.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
True, It makes you wonder and seems to show that if DB is throwing darts at a map he's certainly aiming East. Saw a similar map done by BYU since they're national. But with Uconn the more schools I added I noticed the pattern. Probably filling in a spot or 2 in central or western PA or 1 in NJ would look appropriate.

BYU has a different pitch - they're literally spreading their gospel, so widening is a focus.

If you add in a couple of TX games, this is literally exactly how out schedule should look. I think if you looked at a P5 (especially one not in the northeast) you would be floored at how much more local it ends up being - we're more an outlier (and BYU even moreso).

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Boston College - H/H 22/23
Syracuse - H/H 22/25
Purdue - H/H 21/25
Indiana - H/H 26 (cancelled return game)
NC State - H/H 22/23

North Carolina - H/H 26/27
Duke - H/H 23/24
Wake Forest - 24/28
Maryland - H/H 23/26
Temple - H/H 24/26 & 27/28
So that’s 11 home games over 8 years - not impressed. That’s 1.37 P5 home games per year thus far including 2 with AAC powerhouse Temple. Thanks for proving my point.

Reaction Score
So that’s 11 home games over 8 years - not impressed. That’s 1.37 P5 home games per year thus far including 2 with AAC powerhouse Temple. Thanks for proving my point.
I inadvertently left the Ole Miss H/H out (I’m sure they have some casual “fan appeal”)... can you redo the math?

Reaction Score
I agree with pepband. This is about scheduling a game we can get. Chgiefcand his cronies lobbied for the Big East for basketball. The price is that every other sport will face challenges putting together a schedule. Baseball plays in a league with 5 high school level teams. Football is independent and I give Dave credit for putting together solid schedules. Yeah, we play Holy Cross who were have played on and off since we upgraded. We play local 1aa teams. We’d have done it sooner but those games didn’t count until recent rule changes. It’s good for us good for them. Look at BYU’s home schedule especially late in the season. Look at Army. It is tough to schedule. Once conference games get in full swing.

As far as Edsall, he has pretty much remade this team from the hot mess Diaco left behind. Diaco recruited 1aa players but unlike basketball you can’t replace 2 guys and become competitive. Whether it has been successful or not remains to be seen but scheduling teams in 2028 is not that high on his agenda.
Just for the record, I did not lobby anyone for the Big East. I did share with the board the information before it was announced.

Reaction Score
I inadvertently left the Ole Miss H/H out (I’m sure they have some casual “fan appeal”)... can you redo the math?
Good point! Up to 1.5 P5 home games per year. (12 games/8 years). Chief would like to see 2 -3 home P5’s a year. Let’s say 2.5 as goal.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good point! Up to 1.5 P5 games per year. (12 games/8 years). Chief would like to see 2 -3 home P5’s a year. Let’s say 2.5 as goal.
That's 5 P5 opponents per year. 4 may be more doable. But if we can get 5, we better fence in the state.

Reaction Score
That's 5 P5 opponents per year. 4 may be more doable. But if we can get 5, we better fence in the state.
I just clarified my last post to make consistent with my other posts in the thread - I was referring to the number of P5 HOME games.

Reaction Score
...there are scheduled home games that look interesting to me..

2022...Cuse, BC, Liberty

2023...Duke, NC State

2024...Army, Temple, Georgia State

And...skip to 2027...Temple, Ole Miss, UNC, Syracuse, Army...
Think 2024 through 2026 needs work.

Reaction Score

Have you ever heard of “Customers” or “Ticket Revenues”? Yes, you should listen to your customers in any business. They are the ones who pay the bills, when things are working properly. Did you know we had a $40M annual AD deficit?
Chief has had a fairly successful business career, and I suggest you stay in the pepband and contribute that way.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom