UConn Football 2018 National Signing Day/Press Conference Coverage | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn Football 2018 National Signing Day/Press Conference Coverage

Reaction Score
What I heard in listening to the Randy presser:

-) Randy wanted length along with speed when recruiting the DL and DBs
-) Randy doesn’t give any impression that he feels compelled to fill all the empty roster spots this spring. He even said he would let unused spots roll forward .... surprising.
-) Randy pointed out that our high academic standards are a hindrance to recruiting transfers and grad transfers.(but he wanted it to be clear that he wasn’t complaining about it)

I still think we find a LB before the signing period ends.

See highlight - it was interesting he put that caveat clarification out there to the media in the room.

Reaction Score
Yup.. from 2018 Recruiting Thread:

So much for their crystal ball prediction if they could update all our signees now that would be nice they only have us for 19.

upload_2018-2-7_17-39-45.png

C

Chief00

See highlight - it was interesting he put that caveat clarification out there to the media in the room.

He had to do that - but he said the initial comment because it’s a problem that needs to be fixed!

Reaction Score
Rivals which has all our commits accounted (unlike 247) has the class @ 89 nationally btwn Tulsa and Colorado State. 11th in the AAC ahead of Navy.

I usually don't put too much credence in these rankings but 11th out of 12 in the league made me pause. But I see a lot of potential here. I hope I'm not looking at things through National Flag Blue glasses though.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I usually don't put too much credence in these rankings but 11th out of 12 in the league made me pause. But I see a lot of potential here. I hope I'm not looking at things through National Flag Blue glasses though.

And now 247 has all our recruits in their system and has us at #111 nationally and last in the AAC.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I think our best year ever was around 65 or 70. We've never recruited highly ranked classes

Reaction Score

Look at the 24/7 UConn player rankings. Here are UConn's 3 lowest rated recruits: Lwal Uguak, Elijah Jeffreys, and Kevon Jones.

Uguak shows up as the lowest possible 2*, but he is rated by Canada Football Chat as the #6 recruit in Canada. Jeffreys played QB in high school, and was a Boston Globe All-Scholastic at QB, but will come to UConn as a WR. His track times are 6.65 sec in the 55m and 11.21 sec in 100m at 6'4", 190 lbs. Jones was the Courant Defensive Player of the Year and a unanimous Connecticut All-State football player.

I think all 3 could be major contributors at UConn, but they fell through the 247 recruiting cracks.

Reaction Score
Being ranked so low in the AAC is a little concerning. I trust Randy and his coaching staff (nice to have adult supervision running the football program now), though, we're going to need better recruits to compete in this league. Hopefully, Randy is able to coach these guys up and if we start going to bowl games on a regular basis, then our recruiting should improve.

Reaction Score
Mike Farrell of all people always said Edsall recruits were the toughest to rank because he had his own system that he didn’t share. Also he didn’t offer until he saw the guy in person. Almost nobody does that any more. Where we are (this is me now) you want guys who have not reached their potential so those are way harder to rank. The other thing is Edsall is good at projecting guys. Sherman was a 2 star linebacker from a smallish program in Mass. Lutrus was a 2 star running back. One of the dbacks who played in the NFL after UConn was a 2 star receiver coming out of high school and another was an unrated qb.

Reaction Score
Being ranked so low in the AAC is a little concerning. I trust Randy and his coaching staff (nice to have adult supervision running the football program now), though, we're going to need better recruits to compete in this league. Hopefully, Randy is able to coach these guys up and if we start going to bowl games on a regular basis, then our recruiting should improve.
Agree. Concerned that UConn is not recruiting competitively with it's peers(AAC) and that bowl appearances will be the main catalyst towards better recruiting.

Reaction Score
Look at the 24/7 UConn player rankings. Here are UConn's 3 lowest rated recruits: Lwal Uguak, Elijah Jeffreys, and Kevon Jones.

Uguak shows up as the lowest possible 2*, but he is rated by Canada Football Chat as the #6 recruit in Canada. Jeffreys played QB in high school, and was a Boston Globe All-Scholastic at QB, but will come to UConn as a WR. His track times are 6.65 sec in the 55m and 11.21 sec in 100m at 6'4", 190 lbs. Jones was the Courant Defensive Player of the Year and a unanimous Connecticut All-State football player.

I think all 3 could be major contributors at UConn, but they fell through the 247 recruiting cracks.
These are exactly the kind of people recruited when Randy was here first. Get solid players, Coach them, watch their academics, and build a winner!

Reaction Score
I’d love to land 24 5-star kids but I also remember reading one of the National columnists when Edsall was rehired who said that Edsall’s teams were always better than his players when discussing his recruiting.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Mike Farrell of all people always said Edsall recruits were the toughest to rank because he had his own system that he didn’t share. Also he didn’t offer until he saw the guy in person. Almost nobody does that any more. Where we are (this is me now) you want guys who have not reached their potential so those are way harder to rank. The other thing is Edsall is good at projecting guys. Sherman was a 2 star linebacker from a smallish program in Mass. Lutrus was a 2 star running back. One of the dbacks who played in the NFL after UConn was a 2 star receiver coming out of high school and another was an unrated qb.
There's the Randy method of identifying guys who are 2 or 3 years away from peaking, then there's the University of Texas method of recruiting where they always get guys who peaked in high school. That's why they always have a top 10 recruiting class and finish 6-6.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I’d love to land 24 5-star kids but I also remember reading one of the National columnists when Edsall was rehired who said that Edsall’s teams were always better than his players when discussing his recruiting.
At our peak, we'd recruit from 55 to 75 but play anywhere from 30 to 50. Others may disagree with those numbers slightly.

I'd sell my soul for that right now. Well, not really ... but you understand what I'm saying.

Reaction Score
At our peak, we'd recruit from 55 to 75 but play anywhere from 30 to 50. Others may disagree with those numbers slightly.

I'd sell my soul for that right now. Well, not really ... but you understand what I'm saying.

You could have sold your house instead...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom