UConn football’s instant turnaround under Jim Mora: How did Huskies get to bowl (Chris Vannini@The Athletic) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn football’s instant turnaround under Jim Mora: How did Huskies get to bowl (Chris Vannini@The Athletic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I guess Edsall followed the advise of his financial planner and stayed in FL for 6 months in 2020 so he could claim residency and not pay CT income tax.
This... And then you think about it. I'm not sure what the Connecticut income tax rate is anymore since I'm in Florida but was it 6 to 8%. So he was selling out the program for 60 or 80 thousand dollars. That is insane.

Reaction Score

Alternate access link here <<

-> In an article posted Thursday by The Athletic, Mora touched on some of what players, as he understood it, had been through prior to his arrival.

“This was the first team to cancel football for COVID, right off the bat, and the head coach left for eight months and went to Florida,” Mora said of Edsall, according to The Athletic. “These kids told me they didn’t see him for eight months. They were up here stuck in dorms and working out in pods, eating by themselves and they didn’t have any games.”

UConn held spring practice in February of 2020. Campus shut down along with most of the world upon the arrival of COVID-19 in March of that year and remained virtually empty for months. Very few members of the football program — coaches or players — were on campus until the team reconvened in August in advance of a preseason camp that never took place.

UConn announced on Aug. 5, 2020 — the day for which the first practice was scheduled — that it would cancel its season due to COVID-19. The Huskies did hold practices during the September-November time frame. Games were not played but the program was not shut down. Edsall has long owned a home in Jacksonville, Fla.

Asked Saturday about Mora’s quote, and whether there was anything abnormal about the time Edsall spent away from the program in 2020, Benedict had no comment. <-

Reaction Score

Alternate access link here <<

-> In an article posted Thursday by The Athletic, Mora touched on some of what players, as he understood it, had been through prior to his arrival.

“This was the first team to cancel football for COVID, right off the bat, and the head coach left for eight months and went to Florida,” Mora said of Edsall, according to The Athletic. “These kids told me they didn’t see him for eight months. They were up here stuck in dorms and working out in pods, eating by themselves and they didn’t have any games.”

UConn held spring practice in February of 2020. Campus shut down along with most of the world upon the arrival of COVID-19 in March of that year and remained virtually empty for months. Very few members of the football program — coaches or players — were on campus until the team reconvened in August in advance of a preseason camp that never took place.

UConn announced on Aug. 5, 2020 — the day for which the first practice was scheduled — that it would cancel its season due to COVID-19. The Huskies did hold practices during the September-November time frame. Games were not played but the program was not shut down. Edsall has long owned a home in Jacksonville, Fla.

Asked Saturday about Mora’s quote, and whether there was anything abnormal about the time Edsall spent away from the program in 2020, Benedict had no comment. <-

So there’s that

Reaction Score
It's reasonable to request that people leave his family out of it. You still haven't explained how him being a "nice man" disqualifies him from being attacked for his unprofessionalism.
It doesn’t. Attack away. That’s fair game .His opinions are strong. Reactions are strong.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day DiMauro is working in an antiquated industry struggling to stay relevant. If he makes 45k a year it’s a lot. Most smart people that work in journalism leave after five years because they can have a better quality of life and transfer their skills to far more lucrative roles. Those that stay are deeply passionate at the expensive of other aspects of their life or not that smart. There are plenty of people that fall into the not that smart category in media. DiMauro is Exhibit

I don’t think y’all appreciate how great the life it is, even though the pay is .

I left the field because I was sick of being the lowest paid guy in the room and i was working way too hard. But even as a dude hustling to make $40k with freelance, it is so much fun.

But, as I told a good friend about leaving the business….y’all gonna be homeless you stay in the profession.

Reaction Score
I don’t think y’all appreciate how great the life it is, even though the pay is .

I left the field because I was sick of being the lowest paid guy in the room and i was working way too hard. But even as a dude hustling to make $40k with freelance, it is so much fun.

But, as I told a good friend about leaving the business….y’all gonna be homeless you stay in the profession.

How fun is it to get 45k covering high school sports and being a troll like Di Mauro?

Reaction Score
But it isn’t personal and he is a good a father and a nice man.

It’s very personal when you call people liars. If Mora is simply passing on information he received from the student athletes, then it’s the players that the bc-i d i o t is call liars. Personally, I don’t think its a good look to attack the players.

Reaction Score

I hear where you are coming from. There is a certain novelty to interviewing of being around celebrities, sports figures, decision makers etc. I spent the the first five years of my career in broadcasting, so for me personally that novelty wore off very quickly working nights/weekends/etc for no money. Not to opine too much, but it’s one of the major issues with media. The business models aren’t there to support top talent at all levels. It’s why the product in many scenarios isn’t great. Subpar business models lead to clickbait tactics.

Reaction Score
I hear where you are coming from. There is a certain novelty to interviewing of being around celebrities, sports figures, decision makers etc. I spent the the first five years of my career in broadcasting, so for me personally that novelty wore off very quickly working nights/weekends/etc for no money. Not to opine too much, but it’s one of the major issues with media. The business models aren’t there to support top talent at all levels. It’s why the product in many scenarios isn’t great. Subpar business models lead to clickbait tactics.
Yep. Now I get paid 3+ times and work better hours. Lol

Reaction Score
This should wonders for DiMauro getting access to anyone in the UConn athletic Dept.
Not that DiMauro wants access. He'd rather just fire from the hip with speculation than actually be a journalist who gets info from all relevant people on the story and then write an informative aticle.
He’s not a journalist.He’s a dolt !

Reaction Score
Mike is a good guy and his son and family are terrific people. I get people don’t like his views, and he is a big boy and can stand up to the attacks.

But it isn’t personal and he is a good a father and a nice man.
If you get paid to be a troll then you're not a good person

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin