UConn football’s instant turnaround under Jim Mora: How did Huskies get to bowl (Chris Vannini@The Athletic) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn football’s instant turnaround under Jim Mora: How did Huskies get to bowl (Chris Vannini@The Athletic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

This is very personal for him. Why? Is it because we won the football game or the fact that UConn Basketball (w+m) and Hockey (w+m) are nationally ranked and are trending up? Another fact, a new coach and staff took a one win team and is now in a bowl. What a butt hurt little dope. We should all ask him when BC’s bowl game is.

Reaction Score
This is very personal for him. Why? Is it because we won the football game or the fact that UConn Basketball (w+m) and Hockey (w+m) are nationally ranked and are trending up? Another fact, a new coach and staff took a one win team and is now in a bowl. What a butt hurt little dope. We should all ask him when BC’s bowl game is.

Better to just not engage him. We know how pathetically bad BC sports are. People have tweeted it to him all the time. It's better to just pretend he doesnt exist.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I have heard, and this sort of confirms for me, that Edsall felt like the school basically abandoned football when it left the AAC. Especially when they did it without getting his input. He just basically quit on them the way he felt they quit on him. I’m not defending him. Just reporting what I was told.

I love Mora though. The guy can absolutely coach. He had every excuse in the book tailor made:
1. Didn’t have “his guys.”
2. Lost his DC 2 weeks before the start of the season
3. Lost his starting qb in the first half of game .
4. True frosh backup qb.
5. Skill positions decimated by injuries
And on and on. He took none of them and just went out and won 6 games including a ranked team and our arch enemy.
Mora telling DB during their weekend interview getaway that "I will never concede a football game".

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
There is no defending him if that is true though as if he quit because of that you resign or retire and don’t to what he did which is sign another contract with said school and quit while under contract.
didn't quit taking a pay check.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Dimauro is an A Z Z. What a jealous m f e r .

He is calling Mora a liar. He is calling the players liars. Watch this escalate.

This should wonders for DiMauro getting access to anyone in the UConn athletic Dept.
Not that DiMauro wants access. He'd rather just fire from the hip with speculation than actually be a journalist who gets info from all relevant people on the story and then write an informative aticle.

Reaction Score
A different perspective of the same situation. Whether he should have stayed in Storrs and guided repair of the damaged ship in person or left for FL and supervised from afar is an opinion. If there were any players on campus I feel that the HC should have been there. I don't know the dynamics of the situation so it is hard to judge. The article was from May of 2020 so the issues with the 2021 season were not in play at the time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A different perspective of the same situation. Whether he should have stayed in Storrs and guided repair of the damaged ship in person or left for FL and supervised from afar is an opinion. If there were any players on campus I feel that the HC should have been there. I don't know the dynamics of the situation so it is hard to judge. The article was from May of 2020 so the issues with the 2021 season were not in play at the time.

Mora gave the players point of view so I believe that he may have been doing all of the required work with the athletic department and coaches to not be fired then but didn’t communicate with the players during that time period.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That's a good find. So none of this is a secret. Apprently nobody cared enough about the program to raise an eye at the time.

Reaction Score
I dealt with di Mauro once ona tangentially related sports issue. He wrote a column about how somebody (a local sports figure)was being treated badly by a local agency. He never called to get the agency’s side. He didn’t do the research necessary to no the facts. He didn’t even actually talk to the guy allegedly being mistreated who was working with us, and was ticked at the article because he figured if the facts came out he would look bad. DiMauro Presented as facts things that were completely erroneous. It was just totally made up.

Reaction Score
That's a good find. So none of this is a secret. Apprently nobody cared enough about the program to raise an eye at the time.
The article is from May 2000. UConn closed the campus in mid March and players weren't expected on campus until July so Edsall being remote in May was expected and not a problem. It does become a problem IF after the 2000 season was cancelled in early August Edsall went to Florida for months when the players were on campus working out in pods.

Reaction Score
Connecticut's travel restrictions at that time were the strictest in the country. If we travelled for an away game, we would then have needed to quarantine upon return.

As an independent, all games were under contract and we could have been liable for costs of any individual game that was canceled because of our being unable (due to state restrictions) to play that game.

It wasn't coincidental that Notre Dame played a conference schedule that year.

I'm very confident that the story I was told, that cancelling the entire season was the only feasible answer financially, was correct.
Restrictions were not as strict as Massachusetts. In general they were more strict in northeast states but CT wasn’t that bad overall.

Reaction Score
what I want to know about Edsall is whether or not he was allowed to contact the team at all once the season was cancelled.

If he was and the team was allowed to engage in some type of action then he should have been fired immediately for dereliction of duty. The AD had to have known. This would have been "for cause" but I am not a lawyer.

If he wasn't allowed to engage then he abided by the rules and its not his fault. Going to Florida as opposed to holing up locally in CT looks bad but that's all, it looks bad, nothing more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
He’s a deeply pathetic husk of a man. If that’s his son in his Twitter pic, I feel bad that he’s growing up with Mike as a role model
Mike is a good guy and his son and family are terrific people. I get people don’t like his views, and he is a big boy and can stand up to the attacks.

But it isn’t personal and he is a good a father and a nice man.

Reaction Score
If he was and the team was allowed to engage in some type of action then he should have been fired immediately for dereliction of duty. The AD had to have known. This would have been "for cause" but I am not a lawyer.

Not assuming or stating any knowledge, just thinking out loud. If I am AD Dave, do I want a battle with RE when we also have the Ollie lawsuit on page one. It’s possible DB was not happy and thats why he acted quickly The following year. Whether RE was onsite or or not, one win was all we were capable of. Considering how quickly the ship has turned, I am happy with DB‘s judgement. Look at how many ranked teams we have. DB is doing some thing right.

Reaction Score
Not assuming or stating any knowledge, just thinking out loud. If I am AD Dave, do I want a battle with RE when we also have the Ollie lawsuit on page one. It’s possible DB was not happy and thats why he acted quickly The following year. Whether RE was onsite or or not, one win was all we were capable of. Considering how quickly the ship has turned, I am happy with DB‘s judgement. Look at how many ranked teams we have. DB is doing some thing right.
I will counter that AD Dave could have said something in the press but I get your point about lawsuits and the rest

Reaction Score
Mike is a good guy and his son and family are terrific people. I get people don’t like his views, and he is a big boy and can stand up to the attacks.

But it isn’t personal and he is a good a father and a nice man.

I don't know if he's a good man or father. I do know he's completely unprofessional and not very good at his job.

Reaction Score
My father is a good man and was never a cheap shot artist.
It’s twitter and sports. He knows what he is doing, and he can handle the reaction. Attack, email and flame away.

Just saying going after his son and wife and trying to offend him because he trolls UConn is out of line.

Leave fam out of it.

Reaction Score
It’s twitter and sports. He knows what he is doing, and he can handle the reaction. Attack, email and flame away.

Just saying going after his son and wife and trying to offend him because he trolls UConn is out of line.

Leave fam out of it.

It's reasonable to request that people leave his family out of it. You still haven't explained how him being a "nice man" disqualifies him from being attacked for his unprofessionalism.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Leave fam out of it.
I've never said a word about his family.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day DiMauro is working in an antiquated industry struggling to stay relevant. If he makes 45k a year it’s a lot. Most smart people that work in journalism leave after five years because they can have a better quality of life and transfer their skills to far more lucrative roles. Those that stay are deeply passionate at the expensive of other aspects of their life or not that smart. There are plenty of people that fall into the not that smart category in media. DiMauro is Exhibit A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom