UConn finishes perfect season with national championship in Field Hockey | The Boneyard

UConn finishes perfect season with national championship in Field Hockey

Reaction Score
A mid-major school taking down a B1G school in two sports in one day!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Basketball, Field Hockey, Soccer. If this university had a decent football team it could conceivably be seen as the major sports institution in the country.
Some of the California teams dominate in track, tennis, volleyball, and swimming. USC has 127 national championships, including 104 under the NCAA.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Congrats to the Huskies! Their first perfect season and only the 6th team to do so.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Some of the California teams dominate in track, tennis, volleyball, and swimming. USC has 127 national championships, including 104 under the NCAA.
Bah. All Bagatelles. We're talking UConn here.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Bah. All Bagatelles. We're talking UConn here.
Soccer??? Not this year. (I don't follow, but both my schools, RU and Arizona, made the dance, both bowing out in the 2nd round).

Per Wikipedia UConn is around 47th in team championships, with 22; that's 2 positions ahead of Arizona's 21. UCLA, Stanford and USC all lead with over 100, then Penn State's 83.

Even just considering sports, in general, UConn is good, no doubt. But the "powerhouse" status is probably a bit away as an all sport school. Yes, better football would help.

It could be worse - I love Rutgers and they have enjoyed some modest athletic success in WBB, Women's Soccer and wrestling, in particular, but I will grant you that UConn is ahead. Arizona - over-all - has a well balanced athletic department. Successful in almost everything, sporadically very successful. Softball, Baseball both have Nattys, volleyball is usually in the NCAA's (not this year), women's soccer has been good of late, golf, swimming and gymnastics have all had good runs.

Reaction Score
Soccer??? Not this year. (I don't follow, but both my schools, RU and Arizona, made the dance, both bowing out in the 2nd round).

Per Wikipedia UConn is around 47th in team championships, with 22; that's 2 positions ahead of Arizona's 21. UCLA, Stanford and USC all lead with over 100, then Penn State's 83.

Even just considering sports, in general, UConn is good, no doubt. But the "powerhouse" status is probably a bit away as an all sport school. Yes, better football would help.

It could be worse - I love Rutgers and they have enjoyed some modest athletic success in WBB, Women's Soccer and wrestling, in particular, but I will grant you that UConn is ahead. Arizona - over-all - has a well balanced athletic department. Successful in almost everything, sporadically very successful. Softball, Baseball both have Nattys, volleyball is usually in the NCAA's (not this year), women's soccer has been good of late, golf, swimming and gymnastics have all had good runs.
27th*.

UConn is a close to being powerhouse. That's why Edsall was successful in the first place here. Can he do it again? Yes. We have more team national championships than half of the Big Ten. UMD is 4th in the Big Ten. They have 29 team titles.

Reaction Score

NCAA water polo is dominated by California schools. California schools have have always been either the national champion or the runner up for both men and women ever since the NCAA started having water polo championship tournaments. Of course, not many major schools outside of California offer the sport.

NCAA Women's Water Polo Championship - Wikipedia

NCAA Men's Water Polo Championship - Wikipedia

Mens water polo NCAA championships - started in 1969

California - 14
Stanford - 10
UCLA - 10
USC - 9

Women's water polo NCAA championships - started in 2001

UCLA - 7
Stanford - 5
USC - 4

Last edited: