UConn Field Hockey 2018 | The Boneyard

UConn Field Hockey 2018

Reaction Score
UConn beats another ranked team, #15 Stanford 3-0.

Nancy really seems to have the program right now at the level Geno operates. Doesn't matter who graduates. They will still be a team that competes for Final 4's and Championships every year. They will lose some games here and there but its great to see in these uncertain times to have another program consistently operating at such a high level.

Reaction Score
UConn beats another ranked team, #15 Stanford 3-0.

Nancy really seems to have the program right now at the level Geno operates. Doesn't matter who graduates. They will still be a team that competes for Final 4's and Championships every year. They will lose some games here and there but its great to see in these uncertain times to have another program consistently operating at such a high level.

Thankfully, field hockey is one sport at UConn that is not in dire need of an athletic facility upgrade.

Much has also been commented on in these Boneyard threads in the about how the ACC is by far the dominant conference in NCAA field hockey. However, this dominance is not to the extent that non power conference teams in field hockey are not highly competitive in the sport. Along with UConn's three recent field hockey championships, Delaware picked up a field hockey championship a couple of years ago as well. Other non power conference teams have been quite competitive as well.

I was really worried that with all the talent that was gone from last year's team and with only 5 returning starters that this would be a bit of a rebuilding year for Nancy Stevens and her club. It is quite refreshing and reassuring to see UConn field hockey go off to Illinois and win a road game and a neutral site game against two top 15 teams. It may be a rebuilding year, but Stevens and her staff seem to be doing it and remaining quite competitive.

Of course, when comparing Stevens and Geno, they have something else in common, as they both graduated from West Chester University in Pennsylvania. One of those odd things that I'll never forget, as I have had family members living in West Chester, Pennsylvania since the early 1980's. It's nice to be reminded of a UConn connection when I go there on vacation to visit.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wandered by the field today while on campus... nice home schedule from a name recognition perspective.

Michigan
Michigan State
Quinnipiac
Temple
Maryland
Princeton
Villanova
Liberty

Reaction Score
Thank God for Nancy Stevens. I may be saying that a lot this fall. Fall sports used to be a symbol of strength for our athletic program leading into the main course men's and women's hoop.

Reaction Score

I flipped on the video to this game very briefly last night. Just as I did, the Huskies scored their fourth goal of the game. Nice timing for me, for once.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Fall sports used to be a symbol of strength for our athletic program leading into the main course men's and women's hoop.
So I guess you could say they'd be a symbol of might to the foe?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So I guess you could stay they'd be a symbol of might to the foe?

Yes! And I would also say field hockey and women's hoop are right now our shining cities on a hill!

BTW Nancy Stevens is literally doing the opposite of what Rey Reid and Len T did. She is only getting better as a coach in her later years. Once upon a time she couldn't beat a UNC or Maryland to save her life or make the title game. But she kept pushing and pushing and pushing and finally broke through the door and is not shutting it anytime soon. Good for her.

Reaction Score
FYI...

#1 UCONN @ UMass Field Hockey game today on ESPN+ at 6 PM ET.

Reaction Score
Final 3-0 UConn field hockey over Syracuse. Funny thing, I was able to watch the last few minutes of the video feed of this game, however, I could not get the UConn-Arkansas women's soccer game to play. From what I can tell, they are using the same platform to play.

Reaction Score
Fellow Big East field hockey program Old Dominion has nine national championships and 31 NCAA tournament appearances to its credit. In recent years the bottom had fallen out of ODU field hockey, having not made the NCAA tournament for the last four years. Things are changing, as ODU field hockey is having something of a rebirth this season. This past week they were No. 21 in the rankings, and today ODU had a bit of a statement win in beating No. 8 Virginia on the road. ODU is now 6-0 on the season. No doubt they will be making a big move up the rankings. UConn plays ODU on the road in a Big East match up on September 21.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom