UConn Favored in AAC Coaches Poll, Nurse Favored for POY | The Boneyard

UConn Favored in AAC Coaches Poll, Nurse Favored for POY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Interesting that Geno voted for USF ahead of Temple, unlike the majority of the other coaches.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
To be clear, this is the American Athletic Conference, not the NCAA. :)

In any case, great- now the season can start!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
To be clear, this is the American Athletic Conference, not the NCAA. :)
In any case, great- now the season can start!
Still bogus IMO. Gabby and Napheesa being named 2nd team all AAC is the equivalent of handing out participation trophies, before the season starts, so as to make everyone feel good about themselves.
Name 4 players in any conference better than KLS, Kia, Gabby, & Napheesa.

Reaction Score
I'm a bit stunned that Kia was picked as the preseason POY. I consider her a solid player but not nearly the player that would earn All League honors. This isn't meant to bash Kia but I expect at least two players on the Huskies roster to exceed her performance wise this year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm a bit stunned that Kia was picked as the preseason POY. I consider her a solid player but not nearly the player that would earn All League honors. This isn't meant to bash Kia but I expect at least two players on the Huskies roster to exceed her performance wise this year.
Which two? If UCONN has two players "exceed" Kia's performance never mind the conference they might be candidates for All-American honors.

Reaction Score
UConn has 4 players in the 1st and 2nd teams.

Preseason Player of the Year
Kia Nurse, Jr., G, UConn

Preseason All-Conference First Team
Katie Lou Samuelson, So., G/F, UConn
Kia Nurse, Jr., G, UConn
Kitija Laska, So., F, USF
Alliya Butts, Jr., G, Temple*
Feyonda Fitzgerald, Sr., G, Temple
Kolby Morgan, Jr., G, Tulane

Preseason All-Conference Second Team
Zykira Lewis, Sr., G, UCF
Napheesa Collier, So., F, UConn
Gabby Williams, Jr., G, UConn
Alicia Froling, Jr., F, SMU
Leslie Vorpahl, Sr., G, Tulane

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Thanks Kaizen! To echo Buzzboy's comment - I would think both KLS and Gabby will exceed Kia in performances as far as raw numbers, but if Kia ends up playing a lot of PG, her contributions won't be as obvious. I would expect that by the end of the season, at least 3 of UCONN's starters will be on the All Conference First team. Having said that, that particular "honor" in the American conference is not exactly one that I think any of the players care about. I think it's more fodder for fans to debate...

Reaction Score
I'm a Kia Nurse fan, but this took me a little bit by surprise since I always associate the POY with a player that's a real scorer. Kia is a multi-dimensional player and certainly worthy of acclaim - we'll see how things go this season. Frankly, I think she might have the most competition from KLS.

Reaction Score
Of course, these really aren't "teams", cause 1st "team" has 6 players, and women haven't played 6 to a side in decades. :) And both 1st and 2nd team are too guard rich.

So, if we're really making the hard decisions, with 2 guards, 2-3 "wings" and, if only 2 wings, a center, I'm thinking that if by the end of the year Natalie would merit mention somewhere on those lists as the 5, it would be a very, very interesting year for UConn.....

Reaction Score
bags27 beat me to it; I was going to note that there are 6 listed on the "First Team", and I don't see anything denoting that two tied for one position.

It should also be noted that there was only ONE unanimous choice for the first team...Butts from Temple. I find it shocking that any coach in the league could leave either Nurse or Lou off of their first team ballot, especially considering that Nurse was picked for PrePOY. I'm guessing that at least one coach out there just doesn't appreciate the UConn way of doing things, OR this is an extension of the lets-give-everyone-NOT-UConn-a-vote-as-long-as-we-can-get-away-with-it effect.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the POY is because of her greater experience. And with five member 1st and 2nd teams, first and second team honors are pretty darned close.

Reaction Score
bags27 beat me to it; I was going to note that there are 6 listed on the "First Team", and I don't see anything denoting that two tied for one position.

Right at the bottom.....

Ties are not broken; a tie in voting resulted in six players receiving first team honors

HGN

Reaction Score
Still bogus IMO. Gabby and Napheesa being named 2nd team all AAC is the equivalent of handing out participation trophies, before the season starts, so as to make everyone feel good about themselves.
Coco, I think the conference and coaches wanted to name someone, anyone , other than UCONN players for All 1st Team ALL Conference Honors. They could have easily named four(4) Huskies on the 1st Team. But they wanted to honor other Conference players with 1st Team Selections. Plus , they want other teams in the AAC to be considered for the NCAA Tournament. So they had to get the names and teams out there and get a little pub.

JMHO.

Reaction Score
Which two? If UCONN has two players "exceed" Kia's performance never mind the conference they might be candidates for All-American honors.
Really, You don't think That KLS and Gabby and even Napheesa couldn't exceed what we've seen from Kia???? You can't see, based on what they've done on the court previously, that there is at least potential IF NOT out and out expectations that they are going to exceed Kia in on court performance. Although there is reason to think no freshman coming into Storrs could really contribute to make a massive difference over established stars, didn't Khalid make a monster role in the men's 1999 National Championship so would it be the craziest thing when a somewhat shorter but highly talented freshman point guard like Ms. Dangerfield even POSSIBLY exceed Kia???? I wouldn't bet on that but for you to make it sound so out of the realm of reality that anyone but KIA be the POY type player on this team is wrong. If she's the best player on this team, I think UConn will struggle mightily this year. I absolutely do not accept that she is!

Last edited:

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Kelsey Mitchell, Shatori Walker-Kimbrough, Jessica Shepard and Nia Coffey

Makayla Epps, Diamond DeShields, Ashja Jones and Victoria Vivians

Myisha Hines Allen, Bianna Turner, Leticia Romero and Alexis Peterson

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Did they pick a FOY? I think that decision would be Crystal clear.

CtZWGblW8AAm1fP.jpg

Reaction Score
Kia's already proven that she can handle herself well on the world stage... Clearly those who voted for her are aware of that... This shouldn't turn into a "Who deserves it more" or "Who will do better"... Just be happy they picked a Husky and stop complaining about it... seriously lol...

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Surely you are kidding.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Alexis Jones, Nina Davis, Kristy Wallace, Alexis Prince, Lauren Cox, Kalani Brown, Beatrice Mompremier.

Sorry, is that more than 4?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Alexis Jones, Nina Davis, Kristy Wallace, Alexis Prince, Lauren Cox, Kalani Brown, Beatrice Mompremier.

Sorry, is that more than 4?
Yes it is & sorry
Alexis Jones not better than Kia Nurse
Nina Davis not better than Gabby based on minutes played- Check the numbers.
Kristy Wallace not Better than KLS
Alexis Prince not better than Napheesa Collier.
Other than that......

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Kelsey Mitchell, Shatori Walker-Kimbrough, Jessica Shepard and Nia Coffey

Makayla Epps, Diamond DeShields, Ashja Jones and Victoria Vivians

Myisha Hines Allen, Bianna Turner, Leticia Romero and Alexis Peterson

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online