UCONN Fan Base | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN Fan Base

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Here's the confusing part. I went to XL at noon to buy a ticket next to friends who own 207 D. The woman said the entire section was unavailable. So I bought one seat in 206. When the game began, not only did I sit beside my friend but the 15 rows behind us had about 10 people in them. Why???

Some stupid reason like sections that are reserved for mini-packages and not available as single seats even when it's past obvious they aren't being sold in packages.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Sorry but the University bought into this a long time ago pushing out the "real fans"........even when the kids were back home for breaks this place had some noise back in the day.....now Joe Suit doesn't bother going because it's not the thing to do.......

It's true. Lew big timed the loyal fans and they stopped coming.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
You know I'm normally of the same opinion, but a couple times a year the students show up big time. I'll never forget being in the student section last year for Cuse on Game Day.

Reaction Score
You know I'm normally of the same opinion, but a couple times a year the students show up big time. I'll never forget being in the student section last year for Cuse on Game Day.

I was at that game too. It was my first and only time at Gampel but all I kept thinking was that I couldn't imagine a better atmosphere than what we had that day. It really felt like the crowd willed us back into that game.

The rub is that it's easy to get the fanbase riled up for a game like that. Is College Game Day going to come back to Storrs for Uconn/Memphis?

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Is College Game Day going to come back to Storrs for Uconn/Memphis?
That's really the issue I guess, but I think it was more about both Cuse and UConn having (on paper for us, unfortunately) having strong teams and the rivalry in general. Really going to miss that next season.

Reaction Score
That's really the issue I guess, but I think it was more about both Cuse and UConn having (on paper for us, unfortunately) having strong teams and the rivalry in general. Really going to miss that next season.

The reason they picked that game for gameday was because UConn was preseason #4, Syracuse was preseason #5, and UConn were defending champs.

Reaction Score
I find it truly shocking that more people aren't spending their hard earned money to watch a 30 point victory in person. WHERE ARE THEIR PRIORITIES??!?!

Reaction Score
I find it truly shocking that more people aren't spending their hard earned money to watch a 30 point victory in person. WHERE ARE THEIR PRIORITIES??!?!

This is the bottom line.. UConn may be an elite basketball program but it's not an elite fan base. We did the hard part on the court but we still can't seem to match it in the stands. There are a lot of fan bases that would drop $10 to see their 8-2 team play an inferior opponent. I get why it wasn't a huge crowd but you gotta do better than that.

Do we have reasonable excuses? Sure. Crappy weather, a big NFL game lots of people were up watching the night before, an awful opponent. But great programs thrive when the fan base exceeds the performance of the team. At best, UConn fans match it and at worst we embarrass ourselves. You can't tell me high profile recruits like Boatright weren't looking up that those entire empty sections last night and wondering "why?" You come to this school after a title run and you don't expect a scene like this a year and a half later.

We started this season in as much of a headlining fashion as possible with an exciting win over Michigan State under a dynamic new head coach. It could have been a rallying point for the program heading into the first home game at Gampel. And we didn't even come CLOSE to drawing 10,000 fans for that game. This team has done a very good job under KO and sadly the fan support has been unfitting for a team with national championship players still on the court.

Reaction Score
I haven't season tickets for BB in quite a few years. Until they change they way they sell the tickets, the won't get my cash. Do have 4 seats for football though.

Reaction Score
Let's all just go to Games. Out of staters ... In state. Stop the excuses. We certainly can find the passion again (and the YOUNG UConn stakeholders have to get into it).

I think Kevin Ollie deserves our faith that he is going to get this thing back to a competitive level.

Reaction Score
I agree with silk city - it's not the fact that the fans themselves aren't up to par, it's just that UConn has a smaller fanbase than other blue bloods like KU, UK, UNC, etc., and even larger schools like Cuse, UL, Michigan, etc. I was at the Final Four two years ago and the turnout was absolutely embarassing. The excuse then was that the athletic programs had experienced so much success (women's championships, BCS games, men's final fours, etc.) that folks didn't want to spend their hard earned dime to travel across the country. This year the excuse is that the team is mediocre, and ineligible for the tournament. Next season, I'm sure there will be a new excuse. I'm not blaming anybody in particular - some programs just have large fan bases than other and that's the way of the world. But conferences like the ACC and B1G notice the small turnout at bowl games, the student section at the final four that was 75% empty, and the 10,000 empty seats at the XL last night. Blame Herbst and Manuel for all the problems if you want, but the fan base also leaves a lot to be desired.

Reaction Score
One thing that I have always loved about crowds at a few schools like Duke and Indiana I believe is that they have sections for students all the way around the court. If you ask me that is much better than students at both ends. It makes it much livelier around the entire court and its louder. Students at games are much better than the 40-70 year olds hanging out quietly watching. They don't have to do this for all games but big games this year like Louisville and Syracuse. Fans do help teams no matter what you say.

Personally, I am going to four games this year. Washington, Louisville, Rutgers, and The Providence games I believe. I would love to go to every single game but as I said before I am only 15. I don't have a car to go anywhere I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom