Men - UConn Fall Baseball 2021 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Fall Baseball 2021

Reaction Score
Something unusual has happened. A UConn baseball fall roster has been posted on the UConn athletics website. While it may have happened before, I just can't remember when. Usually a UConn baseball roster isn't posted on the website until sometime during the winter.

If I counted right, there are 47 players currently on the fall ball roster.

One additional freshman then previously reported on the recruiting thread is on the roster. Joe Carrea, a RHP from New Jersey.

Kenny Campbell is back for another go at UConn baseball. I was thinking he had graduated.

Todd Petersen was reported over the summer to be in the transfer portal. Guess nothing happened there, as he is listed on the fall ball roster.

Zach Donahue is also back on the 2021 fall ball roster after not being on the spring roster last season.

Most surprising player not on the fall ball roster is Will Lucas. Andy Hague is not on either, but I was under the impression that he was moving on after graduating from UConn.

Here is the roster as it currently appears on the UConn Athletics website:

2021 Fall Baseball Roster
#FULL NAMEHT.WT.B/TPOS.YEARHOMETOWN
34Brady Afthim6-0180RHPFr.Windham, ME
15Hector Alejandro6-1225RHPSo.Waterbury, Conn.
13Phoenix Billings6-1191INF/OFSo.Madison, Conn.
30Chris Brown6-3221INFSo.Trumbull, Conn.
8Zach Bushling5-7176INFSr.Lake Isabella, Calif.
37Kenny Campbell6-3211RHPR-Sr.Brick, N.J.
Joe Carrea6-2RHPFr.Cranford, N.J.
24Cole Chudoba6-2200RHPGr.Oxford, CT
38Garrett Coe6-6256LHPSo.Lakeside, Conn.
Ramsey Collins5-11185RHPFr.Oakton, Va.
22Ian Cooke6-1215RHPFr.New Milford, CT
21Reggie Crawford6-4235LHP/1BSo.Frackville, Pa.
9Casey Dana6-4215OF/INFGr.Montgomery, N.Y.
6Zach Donahue5-10153INF/OFR-Fr.South Windsor, CT
43Matt Donlan6-3213CR-Jr.Guilford, Conn.
53Thomas Ellisen6-4190RHP/INFFr.Kimberly, WI
23Sam Favieri5-11206RHPSo.Ridgewood, N.J.
7Christian Fedko5-10175R/RINFSr.Gibsonia, Pa.
12Kevin Ferrer5-9199R/ROFR-So.Pawcatuck, Conn.
54Jackson Ferrigno5-11170INFFr.Farmington, Conn.
42Pat Gallagher6-0196RHPSo.Leominster, Mass.
5Matt Garbowski6-0210C/INFFr.New Fairfield, CT
44Ben Huber6-32451B/LHPGr.Pendleton, S.C.
2Ryan Hyde6-1189CSo.Berlin, Conn.
50Devin Kirby5-10220RHPSr.Ukiah, Calif.
48Mason Kolean6-3180LHPR-So.Clarkston, Mich.
45Curren Larson5-8155RHPJr.Irvine, Calif.
39Bobby McBride6-2193RHPSo.Brewster, N.Y.
4Korey Morton6-1177OFSo.Norwalk, Conn.
20Brendan O'Donnell6-2228LHP/1BSo.Hull, Mass.
1Bryan Padilla5-10200INFSo.Brooklyn, N.Y.
32Mitchell Pascarella6-0191RHP/INFFr.Lakewood, N.Y.
52Jack Petersen6-3195INFFr.Sandy Hook, CT
27Todd Petersen6-6206INFSo.Newtown, Conn.
49Austin Peterson6-6234RHPSr.Chesterton, Ind.
25Craig Pihlkar6-5225RHPFr.East Northport, N.Y.
40Braden Quinn6-3210LHPFr.New Fairfield, CT
26T.C. Simmons6-0187OFR-Jr.El Cajon, Calif.
10David Smith5-11181INF/OFR-So.Collegeville, Pa.
51Leo Socci5-9184RHPSo.Stamford, Conn.
Enzo Stefanoni-RHPFr.Darien, CT
3Zach Stephenson6-0170OFFr.Mansfield, Mass.
47Erik Stock6-0211RHP/UTSr.Virginia Beach, Va.
18Jack Sullivan6-0180RHPFr.Carmel, N.Y.
31Jimmy Wang6-3224R/RRHPR-Jr.Beijing, China
36Justin Willis5-8202RHPSr.West New York, N.J.
11Joe Wozny6-1210RHPFr.Lake Grove, N.Y.
What happened to the grad transfer from Univ. of Scranton, Connor Harding? I don't see his name on the list either.

Reaction Score

Nice! Sam Favieri comes in at No. 20 on this list of NECBL prospects from Perfectgame.org. It was obvious that early in the spring season for UConn that Favieri was getting a decent look from the coaching staff in games before he got hurt and missed a chunk of the season.

This summer for the Mystic Schooners, Favieri appeared in 7 games, started 4 of them, and threw 22.1 innings and compiled a 2.41 ERA. He had 17 strikeouts and gave up 10 hits. As with many young pitchers, he does have problems with control, as he also gave up 17 walks in those 22.1 innings.

I would guess from having started those 4 games for Mystic this summer that Favieri very well might be a possible contender to be a midweek starter for UConn next spring. I'm thinking that UConn will want to go with younger pitchers in the midweek role next season to give them experience, given that the 3 prospective leaders for the weekend starting rotation (Austin Peterson, Pat Gallagher, and Reggie Crawford) are all guys who very well might be spending their last season in Storrs. I'm also thinking that the three pitching transfers into the UConn program (Chudoba, Larson, and Stefanoni) will likely be used in relief roles so that they will be available for weekend conference games.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking of going out to the exhibition games. I'm assuming, as it's a free game (and because there wasn't any when I went to a doubleheader at the end of the season) there won't be any food right?

Reaction Score
Nice! Sam Favieri comes in at No. 20 on this list of NECBL prospects from Perfectgame.org. It was obvious that early in the spring season for UConn that Favieri was getting a decent look from the coaching staff in games before he got hurt and missed a chunk of the season.

This summer for the Mystic Schooners, Favieri appeared in 7 games, started 4 of them, and threw 22.1 innings and compiled a 2.41 ERA. He had 17 strikeouts and gave up 10 hits. As with many young pitchers, he does have problems with control, as he also gave up 17 walks in those 22.1 innings.

I would guess from having started those 4 games for Mystic this summer that Favieri very well might be a possible contender to be a midweek starter for UConn next spring. I'm thinking that UConn will want to go with younger pitchers in the midweek role next season to give them experience, given that the 3 prospective leaders for the weekend starting rotation (Austin Peterson, Pat Gallagher, and Reggie Crawford) are all guys who very well might be spending their last season in Storrs. I'm also thinking that the three pitching transfers into the UConn program (Chudoba, Larson, and Stefanoni) will likely be used in relief roles so that they will be available for weekend conference games.
Back in '19, I caught a reglar season HS game featuring Cohen and Favieri. Just on what I saw from the mound, Cohen had a bit more rip to his pitches than Favieri, but he was a bit more intense on both good and bad pitches whereas Favieri was a bit more in control with his pitches and his head. Of course, it's been 2 years since then...

Reaction Score
The UConn baseball fall roster on the UConn Athletics website is down to 45 players. LHP Mason Kolean, who transferred in from Bowling Green and sat out last season, and Todd Petersen are no longer listed on the roster.

Reaction Score
The UConn baseball fall roster on the UConn Athletics website is down to 45 players. LHP Mason Kolean, who transferred in from Bowling Green and sat out last season, and Todd Petersen are no longer listed on the roster.

I hope they are both able to find somewhere to play, if that's their preference. Given our number, more will be gone before February when they either figure out there is no spot for them or they are cut.

Reaction Score
I hope they are both able to find somewhere to play, if that's their preference. Given our number, more will be gone before February when they either figure out there is no spot for them or they are cut.

Before the pandemic, the spring season roster limit for NCAA Division 1 baseball was 35 players. It was adjusted last season, not sure if that will be the case this coming season. UConn in the last several years has had a 3 or 4 player "taxi squad" of players who were redshirting, but not officially on the 35 player spring roster, but still considered part of the team. At any rate, yes, several more players either leaving the team on their own or getting cut is in the cards assuming the 35 player roster is again in effect for the spring season.

Reaction Score

Wow, just wow

Interesting. Kenny Campbell no doubt has a lot pitching rust since he hasn't appeared in all that many games over the last few college baseball season. I was initially puzzled why UConn would pick up a grad transfer who had not played in the two college seasons before he arrived in Storrs, but the above video clip just might help explain why.

Campbell was with Lafayette College prior to UConn, but missed his last two seasons with Lafayette due to a torn UCL. Last spring Campbell appeared in 3 games for UConn, all of them in March. While he did not allow an earned run, it wasn't as if he seemed to be all that impressive, as in 2 innings he gave up 4 hits, 2 wild pitches, a balk, and 1 walk while throwing a lot of pitches. By the end of the season, I was figuring Campbell would not be back with UConn baseball. But like I said, he very well might have been working off the rust.

While I don't recall hearing anything, considering that Campbell did not pitch in a game after March 27, I'm guessing he may have come up with another injury. At any rate, Campbell ended up playing summer when he joined the Fond du Lac Dock Spiders of the Northwoods League in mid July, well into the summer season. Over 7 appearances and 13.2 innings, he had a 4.61 ERA. Once again, perhaps he was working off the rust from basically not having pitched the previous 3 college seasons (2 innings from this spring really doesn't count for anything). At any rate, we'll see how the rest of fall ball goes for him.

Reaction Score

With getting their names mentioned in being in the pitching rotation for the Friday exhibition game, I'm guessing Sullivan and Faviieri have made a good impression so far during fall ball scrimmages and practices.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom