UConn Early Signing Day Thread/Info for 12/20/17-12/22/17 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn Early Signing Day Thread/Info for 12/20/17-12/22/17

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Quick observation. First, this was a testament to the coaches and the staff throughout the department being prepared with both the recruits and the Alums coming together.

2nd (the speculative part). If you look at the group as a whole and divide into 3 groups:
1-Very Impressive 2-Solid 3-Development or ???
To me the largest group is #1 with at least 1 guy at each position and the potential for a NASTY group at DB and LB in a couple of years. The next largest group is #2 and #3 coming last with a few guys who either look a couple years away physically or the competition was hard to evaluate or just the film kind of spotty.

Again, a lot of speculation but I'm confident our coaches accomplished much of what they set out to do. A few of the poachers may not like the ESP but I think it's good for the athletes and programs like ours. Hope they keep it.

Last edited:

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
What an awesome idea to get former players to do scouting reports for the signing days. Haven't really watched much of Dan O's commentaries but they've all over my Twitter feed the past few weeks. He's really good and deserves a shot somewhere. I know he has a podcast coming soon but he'd be great as an analyst for the NFL or for ESPN for college stuff. Really proud of him and how he's handled himself throughout his career and now post football career

Reaction Score
Noon Press Conference:

Gavin Keefe‏ @GavinKeefe 54s55 seconds ago
UConn coach Randy Edsall: The thing that's amazing is we got better today because we're more athletic now than we were before… We're faster than we were before."

Jim Fuller‏ @NHRJimFuller 1m1 minute ago
10 of the 19 players to sign with #UConn this morning attended camp so there is familiarity with coaching staff

Mike Anthony‏ @ManthonyCourant 32s 33 seconds ago
Edsall: We rely on our evaluations, not anyone else's. We know what it takes to play in our systems.

Gavin Keefe‏ @GavinKeefe 25s 26 seconds ago
Edsall will look to sign seven more players by February.

Jim Fuller‏ @NHRJimFuller 29s 29 seconds ago
Eli Thomas counts as part of this year's #UConn recruiting class

Ed Daigneault‏ @EdDaigneault 48s 48 seconds ago
Edsall is a big fan of early period: "it's like the best Christmas present you can have. Knowing we have 19 guys locked in is huge."

Jim Fuller‏ @NHRJimFuller 2m 2 minutes ago
Randy Edsall is fan of multiple sport athletes, something this recruiting class at #UConn is full of

Mike Anthony‏ @ManthonyCourant 1m 1 minute ago
"I want kids who want to work, who don't think they're entitled to anything." -Edsall

Mike Anthony‏ @ManthonyCourant 3m 3 minutes ago
Edsall likes to scout players alone, not with an assistant by his side. "There are questions I'll ask that maybe my coaches won't ask."

Mike Anthony‏ @ManthonyCourant 57s 58 seconds ago
on Kevin Jones, Edsall said, "Very athletic. To see how he's developed over the last year, you see a guy more confident. He's playing running back, linebacker, plays basketball. Tremendous athlete."

ThisIsUConnCountry‏ @MattSchonvisky 4m 4 minutes ago
"There are more players here now in CT than when I was here previously. They grew up when we were here previously and had success." - Edsall on why CT has grown as a place for recruiting #UConnFootball

Gavin Keefe‏ @GavinKeefe 2m 2 minutes ago
Edsall on Capital Prep's Oneil Robinson II, who's from Hartford: "Oneil is a really good kid. When you go and sit down with him and his family and his mom, you can see where he gets it from. ... He's been raised the right way."

Jim Fuller‏ @NHRJimFuller 3s 4 seconds ago
Randy Edsall on #UConn signee Travis Jones of Wilbur Cross: "There is nobody who is going to handle him 1 on 1."

Mike Anthony‏ @ManthonyCourant 46s 46 seconds ago
Edsall says DL Travis Jones weighs close to 350 "but you'd never know it" because of what an athlete he is. "Great personality, good kid to be around," Edsall said. Edsall decided a month ago that Jones would play defense, not offense, and Jones preferred D.

Ed Daigneault‏ @EdDaigneault 37s 37 seconds ago
Edsall said the Huskies have seven spots to fill, specifically 2 OL, 2 DBs, RB, DE and LB.

Mike Anthony‏ @ManthonyCourant 40s 40 seconds ago
Edsall on QB Krajewski: "He can throw the ball very, very well, can make all the throws. he's a smart young man, a guy that can move in the pocket and do things from escapabilty standpoint that we like."

Mike Anthony‏ @ManthonyCourant
Edsall on Krajewski and Orlovsky: "Dan wouldn't like this, but I thought he was a better prospect than Dan was coming out of HS. We were only going to take one quarterback and we got the one we wanted."

Ed Daigneault‏ @EdDaigneault 30s 31 seconds ago
Edsall on character: "I want to be around talented people, but I want to be around talented good people."

Mike Anthony‏ @ManthonyCourant 12s 13 seconds ago
Edsall on learning about recruits from social media habits: "Every time you hit those buttons, the perception of you is being put out there by you." Edsall said there were several players UConn passed on due to character issues.

Ed Daigneault‏ @EdDaigneault 21s 22 seconds ago
Edsall: "In our situation right now, we can't make a mistake. We're not afforded that opportunity, this year, next year and probably one more year after that." Why he judges a lot by recruits' social media posts.

Jim Fuller‏ @NHRJimFuller 34s 34 seconds ago
#UConn coach Randy Edsall: :In our situation we can't make a mistake (in recruiting)."

Gavin Keefe‏ @GavinKeefe 29s 30 seconds ago
Edsall says he values building relationships with his players. "You don't remember the wins, you remember the relationships."

Daniel Connolly‏ @DanielVConnolly 13s 14 seconds ago
Edsall says he likes seeing current players interacting with alumni: "That's what's been missing here for six years."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Krajewski is the most exciting commit to me. With him and Washington, we now have two REAL QBs on the roster for the first time maybe ever?

When I say real I mean true prototypical QBs who can make all the throws that you could envision one day growing into NFL prospects. We have had decent QBs over the years who got the job done, but besides Dan O all have had some sort of inherent limitation (funky throwing motion, weak arm, bad instincts) - Frazier, Lorenzen, Shirreffs - all good in their own ways but all lacking something, and you could tell this from the jump, it was inherent. Don't see that with these guys.

Could they end up being Boyle? Yes, but we at least have a few horses in the race now and not just one.

Reaction Score
As a more casual follower of UConn football recruiting; what do you guys think of this class?

Or, how does this recruiting class improve upon what Mr. Red Pants did here?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
As a more casual follower of UConn football recruiting; what do you guys think of this class?

Or, how does this recruiting class improve upon what Mr. Red Pants did here?

My initial feel for the class is that the coaching staff put a priority on speed. In all of the clips and commentary that were included during today's events, you heard the word "speed" mentioned numerous times by Orlovsky, Obi, Krug, and Brown. And that pretty much fits with the old Edsall philosophy of "speed first, size second".

Having said that, there are a couple of seemingly ready-to-play fellas on the lines as well. Jones looks and sounds like he's the real deal. And we picked up a couple of nice looking OLs that might threaten to crack the 2-deep in their first year. I also like what I've seen from the linebackers and I'm almost certain we will see one or two of them crack the 2-deep as freshman.

In terms of how it compares to Mr. Red Pants; he always seemed to me to have the opposite philosophy of "size first, speed second." Well, we saw how well that's worked out for us...

Reaction Score
My initial feel for the class is that the coaching staff put a priority on speed. In all of the clips and commentary that were included during today's events, you heard the word "speed" mentioned numerous times by Orlovsky, Obi, Krug, and Brown. And that pretty much fits with the old Edsall philosophy of "speed first, size second".

Having said that, there are a couple of seemingly ready-to-play fellas on the lines as well. Jones looks and sounds like he's the real deal. And we picked up a couple of nice looking OLs that might threaten to crack the 2-deep in their first year. I also like what I've seen from the linebackers and I'm almost certain we will see one or two of them crack the 2-deep as freshman.

In terms of how it compares to Mr. Red Pants; he always seemed to me to have the opposite philosophy of "size first, speed second." Well, we saw how well that's worked out for us...

Awesome write up!

Thanks for your answer.

Reaction Score
Yes. I decided to not raise the issue as this is a feel good day, but that messaging was odd, to say the least. Also, Dillon Harris can't sign as he will be at LCC next year.

FWIW he didn't see the field in the LCC playoffs (or at least the stat sheet).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
What an awesome idea to get former players to do scouting reports for the signing days. Haven't really watched much of Dan O's commentaries but they've all over my Twitter feed the past few weeks. He's really good and deserves a shot somewhere. I know he has a podcast coming soon but he'd be great as an analyst for the NFL or for ESPN for college stuff. Really proud of him and how he's handled himself throughout his career and now post football career

I have a coworker from Michigan who is a big Lions fan. He started following Dan O a few years ago and constantly tells me how good Dan O is on Twitter with his football knowledge.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Can someone give a quick summary to make sure I'm on the right track? How many commits didn't sign today, two? Any surprises?

Reaction Score
Can someone give a quick summary to make sure I'm on the right track? How many commits didn't sign today, two? Any surprises?

No surprises - 1 no sign (Maloney from NY).

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Edsall had a press conference and I'm sure 50% of his answers will piss you off for no reason.

Reaction Score
Noon Press Conference:

Gavin Keefe‏ @GavinKeefe 25s 26 seconds ago
Edsall will look to sign seven more players by February.

Ed Daigneault‏ @EdDaigneault 37s 37 seconds ago
Edsall said the Huskies have seven spots to fill, specifically 2 OL, 2 DBs, RB, DE and LB.

No TE? I know TE isn't a big part of Lashlee's offense, but I thought we'd still bring one in. Maybe we'll just be 4 wide all the way down the field and if we need a tight end in short yardage or goal line situations we'll just use a spare tackle.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom