UConn Early Signing Day Thread/Info for 12/20/17-12/22/17 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn Early Signing Day Thread/Info for 12/20/17-12/22/17

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

So he says that we can't compete in recruiting with teams like Wake Forest, even in 2027. But then elaborates on his example player to find out that the kid just wanted to get away from home and not go to school across the street from where he grew up.

Okay, Jacobs. He always finds a way to remind me why I've never liked him all that much...

Reaction Score
So he says that we can't compete in recruiting with teams like Wake Forest, even in 2027. But then elaborates on his example player to find out that the kid just wanted to get away from home and not go to school across the street from where he grew up.

Okay, Jacobs. He always finds a way to remind me why I've never liked him all that much...

That's not what he said - he did not include Wake Forest in that commentary:

>>At Cheshire Academy, defensive back Josh Jobe signed with Alabama. At Xavier-Middletown, quarterback Will Levis signed with Penn State. At Hamden Hall, tight end Luke Schoonmaker signed with Michigan.

When those schools and coaches like Nick Saban and Jim Harbaugh get involved, one could argue UConn has no shot. Not in 2017, not in 2007, not in 2027. It would be a sound argument<<

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
That's not what he said - he did not include Wake Forest in that commentary:

>>At Cheshire Academy, defensive back Josh Jobe signed with Alabama. At Xavier-Middletown, quarterback Will Levis signed with Penn State. At Hamden Hall, tight end Luke Schoonmaker signed with Michigan.

When those schools and coaches like Nick Saban and Jim Harbaugh get involved, one could argue UConn has no shot. Not in 2017, not in 2007, not in 2027. It would be a sound argument<<

Fair enough. But then why end the article with:

"On a day when UConn kept up with the Joneses, it couldn’t keep up with the kid from down the street."

Reaction Score
Fair enough. But then why end the article with:

"On a day when UConn kept up with the Joneses, it couldn’t keep up with the kid from down the street."

To each his own interpretation but I think he was just pointing out that despite best efforts by UConn (as laid out by Bothroyd's coach) some kids are just going to leave the State. "The hunt for talent continues."

Reaction Score
Some people just don’t get that there are kids who want to go away for college. That is especially true if you live next door. My nephew was recruited as a soccer player in a real similar situation and chose to walk on at another school. Reason: the second one was 150 miles from home. He just wanted to experience college away from home not across the street.

Reaction Score
Noon Press Conference:

Gavin Keefe‏ @GavinKeefe 54s55 seconds ago
UConn coach Randy Edsall: The thing that's amazing is we got better today because we're more athletic now than we were before… We're faster than we were before."

Jim Fuller‏ @NHRJimFuller 1m1 minute ago
10 of the 19 players to sign with #UConn this morning attended camp so there is familiarity with coaching staff

Mike Anthony‏ @ManthonyCourant 32s 33 seconds ago
Edsall: We rely on our evaluations, not anyone else's. We know what it takes to play in our systems.

Gavin Keefe‏ @GavinKeefe 25s 26 seconds ago
Edsall will look to sign seven more players by February.

Jim Fuller‏ @NHRJimFuller 29s 29 seconds ago
Eli Thomas counts as part of this year's #UConn recruiting class

Ed Daigneault‏ @EdDaigneault 48s 48 seconds ago
Edsall is a big fan of early period: "it's like the best Christmas present you can have. Knowing we have 19 guys locked in is huge."

Jim Fuller‏ @NHRJimFuller 2m 2 minutes ago
Randy Edsall is fan of multiple sport athletes, something this recruiting class at #UConn is full of

Mike Anthony‏ @ManthonyCourant 1m 1 minute ago
"I want kids who want to work, who don't think they're entitled to anything." -Edsall

Mike Anthony‏ @ManthonyCourant 3m 3 minutes ago
Edsall likes to scout players alone, not with an assistant by his side. "There are questions I'll ask that maybe my coaches won't ask."

Mike Anthony‏ @ManthonyCourant 57s 58 seconds ago
on Kevin Jones, Edsall said, "Very athletic. To see how he's developed over the last year, you see a guy more confident. He's playing running back, linebacker, plays basketball. Tremendous athlete."

ThisIsUConnCountry‏ @MattSchonvisky 4m 4 minutes ago
"There are more players here now in CT than when I was here previously. They grew up when we were here previously and had success." - Edsall on why CT has grown as a place for recruiting #UConnFootball

Gavin Keefe‏ @GavinKeefe 2m 2 minutes ago
Edsall on Capital Prep's Oneil Robinson II, who's from Hartford: "Oneil is a really good kid. When you go and sit down with him and his family and his mom, you can see where he gets it from. ... He's been raised the right way."

Jim Fuller‏ @NHRJimFuller 3s 4 seconds ago
Randy Edsall on #UConn signee Travis Jones of Wilbur Cross: "There is nobody who is going to handle him 1 on 1."

Mike Anthony‏ @ManthonyCourant 46s 46 seconds ago
Edsall says DL Travis Jones weighs close to 350 "but you'd never know it" because of what an athlete he is. "Great personality, good kid to be around," Edsall said. Edsall decided a month ago that Jones would play defense, not offense, and Jones preferred D.

Ed Daigneault‏ @EdDaigneault 37s 37 seconds ago
Edsall said the Huskies have seven spots to fill, specifically 2 OL, 2 DBs, RB, DE and LB.

Mike Anthony‏ @ManthonyCourant 40s 40 seconds ago
Edsall on QB Krajewski: "He can throw the ball very, very well, can make all the throws. he's a smart young man, a guy that can move in the pocket and do things from escapabilty standpoint that we like."

Mike Anthony‏ @ManthonyCourant
Edsall on Krajewski and Orlovsky: "Dan wouldn't like this, but I thought he was a better prospect than Dan was coming out of HS. We were only going to take one quarterback and we got the one we wanted."

Ed Daigneault‏ @EdDaigneault 30s 31 seconds ago
Edsall on character: "I want to be around talented people, but I want to be around talented good people."

Mike Anthony‏ @ManthonyCourant 12s 13 seconds ago
Edsall on learning about recruits from social media habits: "Every time you hit those buttons, the perception of you is being put out there by you." Edsall said there were several players UConn passed on due to character issues.

Ed Daigneault‏ @EdDaigneault 21s 22 seconds ago
Edsall: "In our situation right now, we can't make a mistake. We're not afforded that opportunity, this year, next year and probably one more year after that." Why he judges a lot by recruits' social media posts.

Jim Fuller‏ @NHRJimFuller 34s 34 seconds ago
#UConn coach Randy Edsall: :In our situation we can't make a mistake (in recruiting)."

Gavin Keefe‏ @GavinKeefe 29s 30 seconds ago
Edsall says he values building relationships with his players. "You don't remember the wins, you remember the relationships."

Daniel Connolly‏ @DanielVConnolly 13s 14 seconds ago
Edsall says he likes seeing current players interacting with alumni: "That's what's been missing here for six years."

If Steven Krajewski is 90% as good as DannyO, I'd be happy.

Reaction Score

I feel really good about this group. I think for sure the defense will take a step forward. The offense showed signs of life this past season. It should definitely be a more exciting brand of football.
I’m a big fan of secondary play and these guys, if I’m not mistaken, are all 6 ft or better and are aggressive-Not to mention good weight for high school seniors. Add to this good coaching and the UConn weight program, this group can be special. The back end of our defense will be filled with long athletic guys that can contest passes and tackle aggressively.

Reaction Score
I really like what I see of the guys in the trenches in this class. Kevon Jones also really intrigued me. Sounds like a really hard worker and I can see him being a contributor after spending a few years in the strength program. I can easily see him moving down to D End.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom