UConn-Duke postgame thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn-Duke postgame thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Seriously??? She is 6'2" or something like that. She wants to be a PF and not a C... We have a C in Jana or Ice... Sarah is a player...if she plays front line, that's always been considered a "big" around here.
No! UConn already has Caroline who is 6'2" tall and she is not counted as a big. They need someone who can stop the other team's tall post player from dominating in the lane.

Reaction Score
And when that happens Geno will get criticized for either not having them prior prepared or the criticism will be he should have put in someone else other than the person he put in or he should have done it earlier . . . :)

I’m really veyr surprised at the overall tone of this thread. I thought there would be more elation as to how great this team has performed rather than relief and future reservation (ie,e if we play like this . . .). every team says that - same with South Carolina after Indiana. Same with UCONN 2 years ago when they beat UCF inthe2nd Round game.

Kara Lawson is a prideful Defensive coach. This stuff that UCONN "can't play like this vs their next opponent. .." well imo ofc they won't. USC has a superstar - they want an open game too. But when you against team like Duke - and you don't have a high powered offense - then ofc if Duke is playing with energy - they can influence the game to be played like this.

But -- we're UCONN! Six players out of which a few are very high impact players and we're in the E8!!!!!!!!!!!! This is an amazing win that we’re in the E8! Couldn’t be more proud of this team and off-topic how about the men!!! Really proud to be a UCONN fan. . . :)
Thank you for this!

Reaction Score
Listen, a win is a freaking win. I'm super proud of this year's team, regardless of the outcome on Monday. This reminds me of Serena winning the AO while pregnant. Maybe a bad comparison, but we are literally playing and winning without our best shooters and defenders in Fudd, Griffin, Doucharme, and Jana El Alfy (has not played a single minute in a Uconn uniform, but you know what I mean).

Regardless of Sara Strong's decision, I hope we get a center in the transfer portal. We don't know how El Alfi's injury will impact her game, but we need plan B, and fast.

Reaction Score
Everyone was tired, I saw a real tired shoulder droop from Nika in the 4th...

Apologies for being dismissive of the coaching...but I knew when to take Edwards out...the last 2 or 3 minutes of the 2nd quarter...even the announcers expected it.

Arnold had a fine game; made some big plays.
Ice was ok.
Ice did what was necessary... NICE JOB COVERING FOR Aaliyah! More Monday Night: rebounds, defense, points.

Reaction Score
We've been on Sarahs list since the beginning. Emily Rodriquez, Lara Somfai and Sarah Strong have us on their short lists. I was told that Lara is the best of all 3 and has potential to be super. I hope we get all 3.

Lara isn’t in the same class

Reaction Score
as I mentioned in chat, end of third quarter reminded of a game years ago, D's freshman year in the tourney. we led Notre Dame by about 15 with a few seconds left in the half. Cruising. Then we commit a turnover and ND scores a 3 just before buzzer. Gives the a little momentum and they are only down 12 as they talk in the locker room at halftime. They proceeded to blitz us in the second half and knocked us out of the tourney. Here we gave up 5 points at end of third, including a 3, a turnover and a final 2. Gave Duke confidence, we can come back once again, and they were down 15 instead of 20. Down 20 entering the fourth, a team figures its over. Down 15, tough but we can do this.

Reaction Score
No! UConn already has Caroline who is 6'2" tall and she is not counted as a big. They need someone who can stop the other team's tall post player from dominating in the lane.
OK... if that's how you see it. Yes, Caroline is 6'2"... BUT she has never been confused with a "big." I, and All of UCONN Nation HOPE that Caroline will return to the court, but the way things have gone with her multiple concussions, we really can't take that to the bank. Sarah Strong is tall and "STRONG" ...she provides a very stable frame to help muscle her way in to the basket or to keep other team's bigs out. And, Sarah can hit the outside shot.

Clearly we have different opinions of Sarah. I admit I have never seen her play in person, but there is plenty of film on her. And, through out these past few months, ... IF I recall correctly... she has been considered a "Big" by almost everyone on the BY.

Yes, we need someone to go up against the other team "BIGS"... that's where Jana comes in. She seems to be moving really well in the short snippets we see of her during UCONN games. I believe she is making a great recovery and will be ready to play. Again, if we trust the coverage of her, she will be a very good #5 for the Huskies...but Paige can't be the answer at the #4, and Caroline is not going to be the battler in the paint that Sarah can provide.

We'll see. Got more pressing business at hand... Elite 8!!!!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Precisely, maybe you can give out some C's and D's if it was against Jackson State, but this Duke team can play defense and it showed.

Ash had an off night, and it was Edwards turn to commit some stupid fouls. Paige outplayed her season averages, KK had 5 steals and 12 points, and Nika went 3/6/8/4 and held the other teams biggest weapon in check. No one shot well.

To win from this point forward, no one can have an off night, no one can get in foul trouble, and turnovers have to be limited to 12 or less. Possible, but unlikely.
They had 13 last night.

D6D56369-4EB6-4920-B97E-8EDDC3111E9F.jpeg

Reaction Score
It looked like Paige was really tired the second half. Hope she gets some good rest.
She did look exhausted and it showed in her late shooting. Pardon if this has been discussed, but I don't understand why Geno did not play Ice earlier in the game and Q for at least a few minutes. I'm sure Paige did not want to come out of the game, but she and others could have sat for a few minutes just before a TV timeout was due to stay a bit fresher late in the game.

Reaction Score
If that's serious, I'd love to hear some of your jokes. :D

Ash spaces the floor and plays consistent defense. Ice is just lost out there for long stretches of time, and she lacks confidence. If Geno could play the 5 starters for 40 minutes each, he would.
Guess you missed the context in my reasoning for a line up change.
We've seen Ice play well in segments. But I guess that's not to be talked about or highlighted. Shade and Ice were both effective in our win over Duke. Spacing means nothing when you face a team that can actually take advantage of 2nd and 3rd chances.
Again it was about wrinkles and rotations.

Reaction Score
Who will he put in? I guarantee you that if Geno puts in Q or Ines, it will be a deer in the highlights condition. And I like both players, but not in a game situation like the last two.
False. Duke just played 9 players against us. No way there bench is that deep. You coach kids for their roles and you live with a mistake the same way you live with your starters who make mistakes. Q provides a 3 point threat that is why you play her for limited minutes.

Reaction Score
Each game in the tourney is its own unique journey. Duke plays a much different style than say USC. Most of the time, it's a war of attrition & not free flowing playing them. However, UConn came through with a win. Would you rather they looked pretty & lost? Of course not.

There are always positive and negative takeaways. It's a matter of perspective as to which to focus on. UConn has reached the Elite Eight. As far as I'm concerned, everything from here on out is gravy. I'm looking forward to a great evening of basketball Monday night. LSU/Iowa, followed by the acronym game, USC versus UConn. It doesn't get much better.

I do have one criticism and I believe it's valid. UConn has squandered the last possession of the quarter/half the last 3/4 times when they've had the opportunity. It doesn't make much sense to me to have Paige dribble the clock down, only to have her pass the ball to another. Why not let Nika control the ball and set screens to free Paige up so she can either shoot, facilitate or drive with around 5 seconds to go. It may not seem like a big deal, but to me, it is the equivalent of a turnover. Every possession matters in the postseason, and outcomes hinge not only on pivotal plays at the end, but on squandered opportunities.

Lastly, I hope Ashlynn regains the form/confidence she had in the first two games. It will be necessary facing USC.

Reaction Score
False. Duke just played 9 players against us. No way there bench is that deep. You coach kids for their roles and you live with a mistake the same way you live with your starters who make mistakes. Q provides a 3 point threat that is why you play her for limited minutes.
Dawne Staley plays a deep bench too. This helps make SC an attractive destination for recruits- the odds of being buried on the bench and not getting playing time are lower.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Ugly, ugly, ugly. More than that, this is a team whose players seem to be out of gas.the best conditioning in the world foes not prepare them for playing the whole game without a break.
I have to believe the bect team will be ready to simply wear them out. Geno can do as he did in this game, keeping the starters in until they absolutely have to come out, or he can substitute more liberally, hoping to keep the legs fresh. There are risks to either. I think I would rather see the more players and less exhaustion.
Instead of "ugly, ugly, ugly" I would say it was "gritty, gritty, gritty". The team gave absolutely everything it had last night in getting that win. It was an outstanding effort and I am very proud of them.

Reaction Score
Good grind win. They won, bottom line. After watching all of the games yesterday I still like the chances against USC. Duke beat Ohio State and we survived. After hearing all the hype about USC I think UConn can give them a run. Defense will be the obvious key. UConn didn’t get the credit that they deserve for their defense Of Duke. Of course they were tired! The ‘expectation’ that is on them is what was so exhausting. Give them a break.

I thought Ice played well. Just wish she would have shot the ball. I’m looking forward to seeing Nika shut down Juju. She forced lots of bad shots yesterday. Paige will come to play. You can bet on that.

Reaction Score
I am still shocked, but yet thankful, that Duke did not press us from the start of the game. When Duke got within 2-5 points and they started pressing, I was like "we didn't learn anything from that Ohio State game" We dodge a bullet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom