UConn drops to #9 in ESPN Power rankings | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn drops to #9 in ESPN Power rankings

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I feel annoyed about how UConn got so punished for a fairly close loss while being out so many players (most of whom will be back by March). Just seems a little ridiculous to me. I know the AP doesn't necessarily reflect seeding in the tourney anyway, but still :(
Do you really think the UConn team that played yesterday is a top ten team? I believe that is the barometer being used for the rankings.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
As of today, the team of Ines, Lou, Aubrey, Caroline, Amari, Aaliyah, and Ayanna is #9. I’m ok with that. :) As players return, the ranking will change, as they always do.

Im really hoping the rank, and forced time sitting on the bench, has enraged Nika. I gotta see that.

Reaction Score
As of today, the team of Ines, Lou, Aubrey, Caroline, Amari, Aaliyah, and Ayanna is #9. I’m ok with that. :) As players return, the ranking will change, as they always do.

Im really hoping the rank, and forced time sitting on the bench, has enraged Nika. I gotta see that.
Ohhh…I think that she is already enraged. :D I caught a glimpse of her on the bench next to Paige at the MD game. She had the “Nika” look on her face as she was shaking her head in disbelief.

Reaction Score
Rankings are irrelevant at this time of year. Let's get healthy and back on track. Then we'll see what happens in March.
Not exactly. They mean little in terms of end of year seeding, but they can serve to motivate. I hope the girls find some reassurance from this one.

Reaction Score
I feel annoyed about how UConn got so punished for a fairly close loss while being out so many players (most of whom will be back by March). Just seems a little ridiculous to me. I know the AP doesn't necessarily reflect seeding in the tourney anyway, but still :(
22 TURNOVERS, ALL STARS SITTING ON THE BENCH. That's the reason for the rankings drop. But the reserves played in an inspired fashion until they ran out of gas.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
22 TURNOVERS, ALL STARS SITTING ON THE BENCH. That's the reason for the rankings drop. But the reserves played in an inspired fashion until they ran out of gas.
Most voters don’t watch all of the game or, most likely, even look at box scores. They go by the win-loss record and probably strength of schedule. I think the Huskies’ strength of schedule, and the fact the two losses are on the road to ranked teams, is keeping them in the top 10

Reaction Score
I understand what you're saying. I'm coming from the position of hey, if you can play strong an almost full strength MD team (who did beat ND, even if at the buzzer) and you're playing with your "reserves", I personally feel like that means UConn is still a top team. Not in the top 5, obviously, I'm not saying they should be there. It was said a dozen times, at least, in the chat that basically no one else but UConn could come out and play like this with all these end of the bench players being asked to play almost the full game.

Logically I can understand dropping a spot or two, but it doesn't mean that emotionally I'm not a bit annoyed. That's all.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Not exactly. They mean little in terms of end of year seeding, but they can serve to motivate. I hope the girls find some reassurance from this one.
I'm playing the devil's advocate here but do you, or anyone else here, think that the coaching staff and/or the players are motivated by any rankings? I believe that they are only motivated by the goals established at the beginning of the season by Geno and are the same goals every season.

Reaction Score
I’ll stand by my feelings in that UConn’s (three Top 10) wins should outweigh their losses; more than any other team in the country. On paper, this should still be a Top 5 team.

Thankfully, no other injury post-Ice Brady has been season-ending (I pray that holds throughout the rest of the season).

A week of rest before the Florida State game is definitely ideal. Looking forward to having a healthy team again before the schedule starts to pick back up.
The one week "rest" with include fall semester finals so no mental rest. These players are working two jobs so you have to admire their grit. The extra week is a needed rest bit for all teams.

sun

Reaction Score
I'm playing the devil's advocate here but do you, or anyone else here, think that the coaching staff and/or the players are motivated by any rankings? I believe that they are only motivated by the goals established at the beginning of the season by Geno and are the same goals every season.

Tennessee.

Reaction Score
Not really at this time of year. The Committee takes injuries into consideration when seeding.

Reaction Score
Top 8 (NET) is the only ranking that matters until the final decision by the selection committee

Reaction Score
Good point. But it is worth noting that the polls suggest that, despite the loss, coaches and sportswriters think UConn is still the better team. And so does everyone on the BY. I know it’s not worth much to know that the world has a high opinion of oneself. But if the team takes anything from this, I hope it’s positive.

Reaction Score
I don't mind UCONN dropping in the rankings. But Voepel's logic that all teams have suffered injuries is illogical. Voepel lists several teams who have lost a player to an injury. But how does losing one player compare to UCONN losing Paige & Ice before the season & then losing Azzi, Dorka, & Nika for several games?? "Injuries are no excuse" is an invalid criticism of UCONN's extreme situation.
The answer of course is, that no team in the country (even in my memory of prior years) has suffered the loss of so many quality players. I know there are certain Boneyarders who, every year become enraged at the (admittedly) frequent hyperbole about our bench sometimes being a potential top 10,20,30 team. However, let’s say every team in the country had only five players. Is there any doubt, given a normal preseason and beginning of the season practice schedule, that a team comprised of Paige, Azzi, Nika, Ice, and Dorka (all healthy) would be a top contender (probably the top contender) in that scenario?
Going even further, let’s add one reserve to this “injured player team” and add our other clearly injury compromised player, Caroline Ducharme to the mix as well! There is simply no way that any team in recent memory could come close to fielding an “all injury team” that would approach that team on paper! Throw in the obvious advantage of our coaching staff and the true magnitude of our losses become very clear!
Of course, (as I’m sure will be pointed out) none of this really matters in the real world of wins, losses, bracketology, and most importantly, the health and happiness of our beloved team. Just another example of ESPN’s reflexive, at this point, dimininution of all things UConn! Voepel knows no other team in the country has come close to suffering the impact of injuries like we have, yet flippantly remarks that they have!
I suppose, in the end, I’ll have to be satisfied with he sure and certain knowledge that Geno and company, will continue to obliterate ESPN’s petty little jibes and put downs, by overcoming all obstacles and (much to their consternation) showing up at the final four with a chance to win it all once more!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom