UConn drops to #9 in ESPN Power rankings | The Boneyard

UConn drops to #9 in ESPN Power rankings

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1670862327130.png

Probably mostly inertia-based, but maybe a little bit of it is recognition that we held our own for most of the game against the number 20th ranked team.

For Florida State I expect Dorka and Nika to be back. That will help considerably.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not surprised that UCONN dropped in these rankings. And to add another, UCONN dropped 1 spot in the Massey Computer rankings from 2 to 3. Not a significant change given losses on 2 consecutive Sundays. As we get healthy and move through the BE, expect those numbers to climb.

GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
I don't mind UCONN dropping in the rankings. But Voepel's logic that all teams have suffered injuries is illogical. Voepel lists several teams who have lost a player to an injury. But how does losing one player compare to UCONN losing Paige & Ice before the season & then losing Azzi, Dorka, & Nika for several games?? "Injuries are no excuse" is an invalid criticism of UCONN's extreme situation.

Reaction Score
I’ll stand by my feelings in that UConn’s (three Top 10) wins should outweigh their losses; more than any other team in the country. On paper, this should still be a Top 5 team.

Thankfully, no other injury post-Ice Brady has been season-ending (I pray that holds throughout the rest of the season).

A week of rest before the Florida State game is definitely ideal. Looking forward to having a healthy team again before the schedule starts to pick back up.

Reaction Score
I don't mind UCONN dropping in the rankings. But Voepel's logic that all teams have suffered injuries is illogical. Voepel lists several teams who have lost a player to an injury. But how does losing one player compare to UCONN losing Paige & Ice before the season & then losing Azzi, Dorka, & Nika for several games?? "Injuries are no excuse" is an invalid criticism of UCONN's extreme situation.
Show me another team that lost 185 career starts.

Reaction Score
But, this is TYPICAL of Voepel. She does whatever she can to "throw shade" at UCONN. Yeah, Maryland had 4 players Injured, but not 1 of them played more than mop up or a few more minutes per game, thus NOT major contributors to the team this year. And NO Team in the Country has a former Player of the Year out for the season as UCONN does.

BUT... Championships are won in March/April. Some, but not all, of UCONN's walking wounded will be back... and they will give the rest of NCAA WBB fits as the tournaments play out.

GO HUSKIES

Reaction Score
Not surprised that UCONN dropped in these rankings. And to add another, UCONN dropped 1 spot in the Massey Computer rankings from 2 to 3. Not a significant change given losses on 2 consecutive Sundays. As we get healthy and move through the BE, expect those numbers to climb.

GO HUSKIES!!!
The loss column shall show a loss. Maybe a home record may show it was with a depleted team. Expected! Liked NO!
This is stuff for the bulletin board of UCWBB. When the full team is assembled and healthy, they shall have an extra reason to WIN and Win big.

Reaction Score
Let’s not concern ourselves with rankings right now.Let’s just get ourselves healthy and fit.
We learned from the loss in Maryland that we can get some minutes on the floor from our bench without the sky falling.
Even Geno seemed not too grouchy.
Those “extra” players will get better and have some confidence going forward.
There is time for Nika, Dorka & Azzi to return and help the Huskies reconstitute and be loaded for bear for the BE and NCAA tourneys.
We should have enough wins under our belts by then to get a decent bracket placement.
Not too many folks will want to share our bracket.
They should hang one more banner from the rafters.
“Every dog has its day” with a photo of Jonathan.

Reaction Score
Here's the AP Top 25 for Week 6.
I feel annoyed about how UConn got so punished for a fairly close loss while being out so many players (most of whom will be back by March). Just seems a little ridiculous to me. I know the AP doesn't necessarily reflect seeding in the tourney anyway, but still :(

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom