UConn doesn't have to be perfect | The Boneyard

UConn doesn't have to be perfect

Reaction Score
It's not going to look pretty early on. It rarely does and it feels like we go through the same comments in November year after year. The coaching staff is tinkering with different plays, combinations, players, etc. I like seeing the newbies getting a ton of playing time in the second half. It's an advantage to be up 30 at the half to be able to do that, and I think it gives our freshmen a head start on making that sophomore leap. Some folks need to relax when leads get cut under 40 against top 25 competition in the 4th quarter or the team goes seven minutes between buckets late in the game. This formula has worked for three decades and 11 national championships. No point in changing it now.

Reaction Score
Safe to say after two games we can say that the offense needs to catch up with the defense. That was especially true tonight against Cal. The defense looked really good most of the time, while the offense still relies, IMHO, on not enough of those one-extra-pass plays for which UConn is so well known. We all hope that offense will come, and soon, but it's not there yet.

Reaction Score
without Lou, short-to-intermediate-to-longer term, we will see some real cracks in that defense. she did a lot of things that never showed up on the scoreboard. When Z was in, they tended toward a zone, but she brings her own special qualities. Megan can certainly play a competent man-to-man defense, and, while she hasn't yet got unwound on offense, knows where to move. Still, we are about to appreciate just how much Lou means to this team.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
At 6’6” Z certainly adds size and the ability to block and/or alter shots on the defensive end. The one thing I hope she changes, and soon, is her penchant for swinging downward when attempting to block shots. She picked up 4 fouls tonight and was close to fouling out. If Lou is out for an extended period of time, Z will undoubtedly start and play more minutes. She needs to limit fouling in order to be effective.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
If any of the first six players missed a number of games we would see just how much they mean to the team.

Reaction Score
without Lou, short-to-intermediate-to-longer term, we will see some real cracks in that defense. she did a lot of things that never showed up on the scoreboard. When Z was in, they tended toward a zone, but she brings her own special qualities. Megan can certainly play a competent man-to-man defense, and, while she hasn't yet got unwound on offense, knows where to move. Still, we are about to appreciate just how much Lou means to this team.

Lou was on fire. Forget the threes; she was everywhere, disrupting, driving, running, at a level that promised everything for her team. Her joy was our joy.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Lou was on fire. Forget the threes; she was everywhere, disrupting, driving, running, at a level that promised everything for her team. Her joy was our joy.

I'm watching that last night and thinking who is this person!? She has decided she is all in on every aspect of the game. It could change things for Katie Lou. She could morf from potentially one of the elite UConn players to one of UConn's great. Heal fast California. You're needed.

Reaction Score
Irony is that the real loss right now is Batouly. Megan can be the first in on the small wing/backcourt. But who backs up the big wing/forecourt? Kyla just hasn't shown enough yet, but it may well fall to her. She actually did a credible job near the end of the first half of last year's Baylor game, but hasn't flashed like that since.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Pat Summitt had a saying, "Offense sells tickets, defense wins games, rebounding wins championships". No wonder the woman won over a thousand games.

Interesting point that Geno made on the latest installment of the Geno show. Good offense can beat good defense. That was very surprising and I wonder if he being particularly contrary for the fun of it.

Reaction Score
Interesting point that Geno made on the latest installment of the Geno show. Good offense can beat good defense. That was very surprising and I wonder if he being particularly contrary for the fun of it.
No, I'm sure Geno meant it.

Geno's friend Jack Ramsay once told me (name dropping alert!) that good offense should be able to beat great defense every time. What I think he meant isn't that the offense should score, but rather at least get off a credible shot.

Besides generating a turn-over, great defense is first about taking away the best angles and then about limiting a shooter to her not-best shot.

Last edited:

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Good point, Bags. Lou, with her long arms and anticipation, was particularly effective at the top of that zone. Who would have thought to put her there? Well, yes, Geno. Maybe we'll even get to see a 1-3-1 this season. UConn has the personnel for it and I'm sure Geno has Bob Huggins' phone number.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
The offense always knows what they're going to try to do, the D has to play a guessing game.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm watching that last night and thinking who is this person!? She has decided she is all in on every aspect of the game. It could change things for Katie Lou. She could morf from potentially one of the elite UConn players to one of UConn's great. Heal fast California. You're needed.
Lou was an understudy to this player:

920x920.jpg

Reaction Score
He was talking about the men's game, where the players are longer and faster.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
UConn is playing at a grade of B, when they raise that grade to B+ and above....look out. Once the offense get in sync, and they start hitting the layups and 3's, they will really be unstoppable. I am enjoying the ride, but I am anxious too, because I know they are an amazing team.

Reaction Score
Pat Summitt had a saying, "Offense sells tickets, defense wins games, rebounding wins championships". No wonder the woman won over a thousand games.
Didnt Tennessee out rebound Uconn by 18 and still lose the NC one year! I think it was 2003 or 2004 NC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No, I'm sure Geno meant it.

Geno's friend Jack Ramsay once told me (name dropping alert!) that good offense should be able to beat great defense every time. What I think he meant isn't that the offense should score, but rather at least get off a credible shot.

Besides generating a turn-over, great defense is first about taking away the best angles and then about limiting a shooter to her not-best shot.
And if your offense keeps getting good shots but they just arent falling should it really be called good defense?

Reaction Score
With Lou sitting out this hopefully helps Azura relax a little so she just plays her game. If she becomes a little more patient with herself everything else will fall into place. Megan has all the tools needed to be great. IMO she can play the 4 when needed. Batouly and Megan seem like they are close in height. Megan is physical, quick, high bb iq, good handle and speed that would give her an advantage! IMO Megan makes Sophmore leap half way through the year! Lou being out helps her too! That being said I hope Lou is back quickly because she has been playing great! Three steals in 1st Q and double figures by the time she was injured! Sprains really do suck! I went up for a rebound and came down on someones foot. Two months in a cast and 2 weeks after that to get back on the court. Hope to see you soon Lou!

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
Not if the coaches did well with the scouting report.

That's certainly a valid point, for the game as a whole. Game plan, tendencies, scorers to watch out for and the like.

It's the play-by-play unknown I was referring to.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I hope UConn’s rebounding comes around, then. It certainly hasn’t been impressive yet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom