UConn:Design,Build & Manage New Rink | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn:Design,Build & Manage New Rink

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I gotcha. But let’s hope. Honestly 35000 seems about the right size. Overbuilding for the sake of overbuilding as lots of people do just seems silly to me whether it’s hockey rinks or houses. 3200 in a 3500 seat arena seems like s packed house. The same crowd in a 7500 seat arena seems sparse.

Throw in a section for SRO and you're over 4k

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Throw in a section for SRO and you're over 4k

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Either some planned in SRO or room to bump the bleachers to get to 4k. Once UConn breaks through and makes some post season noise, this will be a popular sport on campus.

Reaction Score
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Either some planned in SRO or room to bump the bleachers to get to 4k. Once UConn breaks through and makes some post season noise, this will be a popular sport on campus.
It could be next year assuming good health and no major defections.

Reaction Score
According to Morgan Hall (Director of Hockey Ops), the new arena is 2700 seats + 300 SRO. He said this at an alumni event on Friday before the UMass game

Reaction Score
2700, half being students, will be a pretty intimidating environment.

A guy can dream that we can get an old-school wooden roof like Appleton, Gutterson or Ingalls and make the place roar. But that probably won’t happen.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Why? Are they more intimidating than full time kids?

Reaction Score

A guy can dream that we can get an old-school wooden roof like Appleton, Gutterson or Ingalls and make the place roar. But that probably won’t happen.

Places like Appleton can not be replicated. IMO is it one of the best college hockey arenas around.

Reaction Score
Why? Are they more intimidating than full time kids?

It is obvious from context that the students would be werewolves. Academic status is a red herring.

Reaction Score
The question I have is how many rinks. The one in the stadium. But is there a also a practice only rink or even a practice only half rink? That would be a great addition. An outdoor skating area for the public would also enhance the experience and the campus.

CL82

Reaction Score
An outdoor skating area for the public would also enhance the experience and the campus.
Like the one we tore down?

Reaction Score
Sure you can. Do you see it there anymore?
The tore down the building. They removed the the rink. You don't tear down a sidewalk or things at surface level.

CL82

Reaction Score
The tore down the building. They removed the the rink. You don't tear down a sidewalk or things at surface level.
Duly noted but would you ever actually say they tore down the building and removed the rink? Wouldn't you say they tore down the rink? It's like saying they tore down the baseball stadium and removed the field. It seems pedantic.

Reaction Score
I like the arguing Over technicalities but I think they built walls around the rink that was there if I am not mistaken.

Reaction Score
I like the arguing Over technicalities but I think they built walls around the rink that was there if I am not mistaken.
I thought the same thing. We used to have our intramural hockey games there when it just had a roof. It was cold for the fans but the ice was great as there wasn't much to stop the wind except for the boards.

Reaction Score
I thought the same thing. We used to have our intramural hockey games there when it just had a roof. It was cold for the fans but the ice was great as there wasn't much to stop the wind except for the boards.
Very late at night too. FN cold.

Reaction Score
What year for intramurals? Played there 88-91. There were a lot of good games actually. Technically no hitting I think but some of the most physical games I have ever played. Lol. Late at night, freezing cold most times. Agree ice was as good as it gets!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom