UConn-DePaul postgame thread (merged) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn-DePaul postgame thread (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on tonight’s game:
  • You always expect a fast-paced, back and forth game whenever the Huskies face the Blue Demons. UConn’s execution was a little bit sloppy tonight. I’ll chalk that up to a few extra days off for the Huskies, or perhaps it’s the Chicago deep-dish pizza which, as any Italian knows, is not really pizza.
  • Paige with a quiet 30 pts tonight. ;) That step through, reverse layup by Paige on the run, against two defenders was an absolutely remarkable shot that probably didn’t surprise a single fan of Paige Bueckers. Paige’s added strength this season is readily apparent with all the “AND ONE’s” she continues to pile up.
  • Aaliyah with yet another double-double, in the first half….:cool:
  • Evidently, there is another Kate Clarke who plays for DePaul and has GAME. I did not remember her at all from the first DePaul game, probably because she didn’t start then, scoring just 6 pts on 2/7 shooting. Good young player. Hopefully she’ll remain at DePaul, resisting the urge to head to greener pastures.
  • Some reasonably good PT from Ice & Q is encouraging. Geno needs to keep running them both out for key PT off the bench for the rest of the BE season, including the conference tournament, getting them as prepared as possible for The Big Dance.
  • I enjoy a comfortable UConn win as much as anyone. But I must say that I hate the fact that Aneesah Morrow is now playing in the SEC. Her battles with Aaliyah were “must see tv” and a great testament to the strength of the Big East. OK, I’ll get off my high horse now….
I was stunned when I looked up and there was the number 100 next to UCONN. It didn't feel that way. For a while, it seemed that we either got a score from Paige or Edwards, or we wound up on defense. I know there were some decent "other" points spread around, but I am still waiting for the game when ASH or Q or KK hit back to back shots from deep. In other words, I am waiting for one ( or more ) of them to get " red hot" in a big game. Once that happens, we can beat most anyone. My favorite alignment today was Inez and the four freshman. See you at the Villanova game.

Reaction Score
Paige and Aaliyah were awesome. Nika KK and Ash were steady and ready. Ice and Q had some good moments and no bad ones. Inês looked like she had fun out there, and Amari contributed a full palm pancake block.

I don’t know how far this group can go in the tournament. But I think they won’t disappoint. If they win 2 games I’ll be happy. If they win 3 I’ll be ecstatic. If they win 4 I’ll be over the moon. Whatever they do, it will be a team effort as usual, and that’s the thing UConn will always do.

Reaction Score
I'm no expert or a doctor and this is just my opinion but it seems to me Amari isnt healed all the way. She runs and moves like she still has a back problem. Now i know they wouldnt let her play if she was in danger of damaging herself further but maybe her back is just weak or something but she isnt moving like she used to. Might be why she only gets to play a little bit every game.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I thought everyone looked good. Paige and Liya may be as good a duo as there is in the nation. Both played at an All-American level.

Nika made a variety of shots, KK played and shot better, and Ash shot well, despite a rare missed FT.

Ice looked good again, as did Q.

We beat the expected point spread. That's always good.

Reaction Score
Few Thoughts:
*Mostly a fun game despite the few times I've screamed at the TV and scared my neighbors :)
*Paige is a bit like Maya in the sense that every game she'll do something that you'll go wow, did you see what she just did...
*Loved how aggressive Paige was in this game. 3-point shooting was not working so she was going to the basket and drawing fouls.
*AE: was a woman playing against girls :) she is so strong and skilled. A pleasure to watch! I feel bad for her every game because she is hit all the time and the refs whistle only some of those.
*Ash: a solid game. perpetual movement and energy. hopefully she will get back to be the dead eye shooter from 3 she was few games ago.
*KK: Solid game by her. was very aggressive on defense and was able to find some seams in DePaul defense for some of her forays to the basket.
*Nika: had a pretty good game. 8 assists, solid offense.
*Ice: does not look any more like a liability even when playing against a fast team who screens and cuts a lot. Her growth is visible by her not forcing things.
*Q: another player with a solid game. 7 points and fighting for rebounds.
*DePaul is an interesting team because they do a lot of good things on offense and defense, but this kind of fast-paced game is a very bad idea against a team like UConn.
*It was amazing to see Paige in the end of the game doing her best to answer all requests for autographs and picture. She is a Tresure!

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
I'm no expert or a doctor and this is just my opinion but it seems to me Amari isnt healed all the way. She runs and moves like she still has a back problem. Now i know they wouldnt let her play if she was in danger of damaging herself further but maybe her back is just weak or something but she isnt moving like she used to. Might be why she only gets to play a little bit every game.
I mentioned to my wife that I didn't think Amari looked "right" running up the floor.

What I've learned over the years watching UConn is that we never really know particulars about physical issues until the kids graduate.

Just wish them all the best.

Reaction Score
1000009239.jpg

Reaction Score
Nice win on the road. Paige did her thang out there. Some great moves out there. Aaliyah continues to cement her legacy with the program and if she goes to the W draft, improving her stock. Nika always impressive. KK, Shade, Q, and Ice, continue to play well, especially Q and Ice. Ice had some solid defensive stops and solid box out segments while on the floor. Solid win and now on the to the next game.

Reaction Score
At 76 I don't have too many lucid moments but I came up with a few thoughts after UConn beat DePaul:
1. I was really pi--ed when Geno took out Ines with 7.9 seconds left and put Paige back in the first 1/2! It wouldn't have hurt if she played the last 1 1/2 minutes of the 1/2!
2. With a 76 - 49 lead in the beginning of the 4th quarter I would have liked to see more bench players less starters to give those 5 more of a rest with two games coming up then the Big East Tournament leading to the NCAA's!
3. Paige and Aaliyah never cease to amaze me with their 110% effort and fantastic skills!
4. Nika is one of my all-time favorite Huskies! Going back to her early freshman year no-one would have ever imagined she'd be near the rare air of Sue Bird, Renee Montgomery, Morah Jefferson, Crystal Dangerfield, Jen Rizzotti, and Diana Taurasi as an assist marvel!
5. Like Paige and Aaliyah above Nika goes like the energizer Bunny Of WBB! Yes she makes mistakes, but I admire her belief in herself that nothing is outside her reach, all is possible! Even the impossible passes!
6. I feel terrible for Doug Bruno, a great coach and even better person, who doesn't have the horses this year and they only play one way, uptempo, and it gets DePaul beat up!
7. A lot of refs work 4 to 5 games a week in at least 2 time zones and they suck big time! How can the NCAA's allow this incompetence game-in-and-game-out? Especially Dee Kantner who will do something during her games to make sure everyone knows she's refereeing the game! She sure demands the attention!
8. I hate to say this but I hope both Aaliyah and Nika move on to the WNBA so UConn can get the the players they need for the next several years! Sarah Strong, Kaitlin Chen are just 2 possibilities! Those 15 roster spots are precious!

Reaction Score
1. I am seeing improvement and confidence from Ice and Q. Foul trouble or injury will make them have to play more minutes. We will need them to go far in the Dance.
2. Ines could get more minutes to rest the starters. The frantic pace Geno likes to play wears the starters out. You can see it in their legs. It could be the reason our 3-point shooting is a little off. Ines knows the offense and is a good defensive player.

Reaction Score
I hate to be the killjoy on a day that UConn scored a century and Paige made some moves not see in Chicago since MJ...

but:

Spring of 2024, UConn is a good, very decent team, but not a great team and certainly not a final-4 team.

-Shooting from distance of late has been erratic -The half court offense (at times)seemed less
effective the DePaul's
-There really is no bench
-Other than Aaliyah, there is no substantial hight...Ice
did well at times but continues to be a fouling
machine.
-The freshman starters still seem worn down.

None of this is news, we've been talking about it all season. I can't predict how far they will go, but a significant number of other teams seem more ready.
Are you a ND fan?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Once you get to the postseason you only have to win by one. There is no bonus for style points. With Paige and Aaliyah playing so well, you’d have to think the Huskies have a chance, no matter who, or how big :rolleyes: the opponent is

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Nice win! I find it amazing that they scored 104 points, and really didn't play their A game. There were a couple of stretches where they didn't score any, or very few points. Is DePaul that bad?
DePaul is next to last in the BE, so yeah, they are not good.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Is it just me? I am always unimpressed by Doug Bruno teams because they play an easy style for good teams to handle. A half loaded UConn crushed them twice this year. They gave a good UConn team a scare once i believe. He is probably a great guy, but his relative mediocrity would have had him gone from the men’s program years ago. I know he is an “institution”, but DePaul seems to be one of those schools that has far less interest in national competitiveness , for better or worse, in women sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom