UConn def Cincinnati, post game discussion | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn def Cincinnati, post game discussion

Reaction Score
I went to the game, just got home after spending some quality time at Ted's afterward. Some quick thoughts on the game:

1) Bouknight is a serious talent. His confidence is through the roof for a freshman (especially when he's juxtaposed with Gaffney), it's going to be really fun to watch his progression from year 1 to year 2. I think the odds are slim but I don't think we can necessarily rule out the possibility that he leaves for the draft. Especially if he closes the season with how he's playing right now. Hope to see him back next season.

2) I love Whaley. He might not be the best on-ball defender, but his off-ball defense and hustle is a really underrated contribution to this team. He hustles his balls off, easy to root for a kid like that.

3) The biggest difference between Vital and Gilbert's progression in my opinion: Basketball IQ. Vital always seems to be in the right place at the right time. Watching Gilbert try to routinely drive into the lane against Cincy's rim protectors was quite frustrating. The second biggest difference: Confidence. Vital never seems to get too down, but Gilbert gets a hangdog-look on his face after nearly every mistake. I hope he sticks around next year and learns to adjust to his new role, but I wouldn't be surprised if he left either. Just watching his body language towards the end of the game made me feel for the kid, although it's the right move by Hurley to use him as a sparkplug off the bench.

4) We needed our perimeter players to step up because of how stout Cincy's interior defense is, and everyone stepped up in a big way. Adams, Vital and Bouk were all fantastic.

What an environment in Gampel today. Days like today are why I wonder why TF we play any games in Hartford. Few environments are more intimidating than a jam-packed, raucous Gampel Pavilion. Already can't wait to buy my season tickets for next year. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Does anyone realize how wildly significant that ranking is for Vital? Anyone who thinks he should ever be benched is insane. Yell at him a couple times per game, otherwise, he’s really good. At some point our fans might realize this guy does a 1000 positive things per game for every 4-5 bad plays he makes. He will be sorely missed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Does anyone realize how wildly significant that ranking is for Vital? Anyone who thinks he should ever be benched is insane. Yell at him a couple times per game, otherwise, he’s really good. At some point our fans might realize this guy does a 1000 positive things per game for every 4-5 bad plays he makes. This kid will be sorely missed.
Agreed. He does make some ill advised bonehead plays that get me angry for sure. But there is no questioning his physical toughness and mental tougheness. The guy has tons of heart and fight and he has given this program everything he has had. I can't ask for more. He will be missed. He should get a fantastic Senior Day reception-he deserves it and he has earned it.

Reaction Score
Does anyone realize how wildly significant that ranking is for Vital? Anyone who thinks he should ever be benched is insane. Yell at him a couple times per game, otherwise, he’s really good. At some point our fans might realize this guy does a 1000 positive things per game for every 4-5 bad plays he makes. This kid will be sorely missed.
I love this kid. He's got the heart of a lion. Boatright and Kemba'esque. He plays with passion and fire. He wants to win so bad. He is very talented. As you said, get upset with him a couple times a game, but his positive play and hustle far outweighs the bad. He's been through some of the worst times in UConn history in the past 30 years of this program. He comes back every day working just as hard and giving everything he's got. He will be sorely missed indeed. He's led by example. He's kept his nose clean, done the right things and played his heart out for this program. I will always be a HUGE Christian Vital fan both on the court and in life. I'm glad we can call him a Husky.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I love this kid. He's got the heart of a lion. Boatright and Kemba'esque. He plays with passion and fire. He wants to win so bad. He is very talented. As you said, get upset with him a couple times a game, but his positive play and hustle far outweighs the bad. He's been through some of the worst times in UConn history in the past 30 years of this program. He comes back every day working just as hard and giving everything he's got. He will be sorely missed indeed. He's led by example. He's kept his nose clean, done the right things and played his heart out for this program. I will always be a HUGE Christian Vital man both on the court and in life. I'm glad we can call him a Husky.

Beautifully said. I hope you guys that can be there for Senior Night will go and give Christian a round of cheers and applause like he’d hear if he was playing on one of our best teams. He deserves a hero’s send off after the effort he’s given. Personally, I’d put him on the wall, but I’m a softy.

Reaction Score
Beautifully said. I hope you guys that can be there for Senior Night will go and give Christian a round of cheers and applause like he’d hear if he was playing on one of our best teams. He deserves a hero’s send off after the effort he’s given. Personally, I’d put him on the wall, but I’m a softy.

He's a lion I agree. The Wall no, but it seems like there should be like a hallway wall to start for kids like him. I mean today was pretty much him in so many ways, really all ways. A great first half shooting the ball, some great defense and hard work on Cumberland. A couple bad takes too deep with time on the shot clock. 2nd half a run of bad shots but then the put back off the rebound was monstorous, made most of his FTs. Bad technical not very smart even though he was right. But again the defense on both regulation and OT last seconds were manly. Solid game fun to watch.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
People on the chat just killing CV all day yet as I sit in my seat in Gampel I'm watching a young man who plays 100% every game every play. His defense was unbelievable as well as his rebounding positioning - as usual. People calling him a loser and not capable of playing winning basketball are not only wrong but ignorant. Many ask if he has ever hit a big shot? I remember a young CV hitting 2 free throws to defeat Cuse at MSG. I look at his all time stats and see where he sits in UConn history.
He leads the team in scoring AND rebounding and is ranked in the top 10 of all D1 in FT shooting.
The kid can't help that he was recruited by KO and hasn't played on a winning team.
Without CV there is no victory today
The three he took with less than a minute left was a good shot for him. DH knew that Bouk was going to attract a double team and who else out there was going to take a shot?
Does he make some bad decisions? Sure he does but what player doesn't.
Time to appreciate what he has brought - senior day is coming up
CV BLEEDS HUSKY BLUE

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
People on the chat just killing CV all day yet as I sit in my seat in Gampel I'm watching a young man who plays 100% every game every play. His defense was unbelievable as well as his rebounding positioning - as usual. People calling him a loser and not capable of playing winning basketball are not only wrong but ignorant. Many ask if he has ever hit a big shot? I remember a young CV hitting 2 free throws to defeat Cuse at MSG. I look at his all time stats and see where he sits in UConn history.
He leads the team in scoring AND rebounding and is ranked in the top 10 of all D1 in FT shooting.
The kid can't help that he was recruited by KO and hasn't played on a winning team.
The three he took with less than a minute left was a good shot for him. DH knew that Bouk was going to attract a double team and who else out there was going to take a shot?
CV BLEEDS HUSKY BLUE
Warts all over the place but can’t think of a guy who put out more effort heart blood and tears every night.
Lots of bad decisions over the years but man gonna miss this kid. I feel so bad that he was always asked to do more than he was capable of. He deserved more.

A complete glue guy who bleeds blue. We will miss you CV1.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
If CV left more of himself on the floor he'd be a slab of wood that is used to build the court at Gampel.

This kid is going down as one of my favorite Huskies ever. A legit double double threat every game, who plays awesome D and drills free throws. Does he do some wild stuff on the court sometimes? Yup, but the positives far outweigh the negatives. I also feel like he could have transferred outta here and no one would have blamed him. He stuck it out and tried to win, every night. Great to see.

Reaction Score
CV BLEEDS HUSKY BLUE
Very well said. That's my DUDE. If I was a coach, I'd want multiple of him. This team and program will be better because of him. He's always led by example. He exemplifies HEART, PASSION and TRUE GRIT. He literally bleeds husky blue. His numbers will be up there with some of the greats. He deserves so much more. So thankful we can call him a husky. We can only hope there will be more like him to don the UConn uniform and play with the same passion, heart and pride. Thank you CV!!

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
sorry on fickell watch today.

one potential heart break is enough for one day.

we played like crap and our best player was awful on the road and we almost still won. oh well, on to the next.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
I think Cumberland trying to guard Bauk was a big reason he couldn't get his offensive game going, Vital did a good job of guarding him most of the game but if you watched him struggling to guard Bauk you can see why he had nothing left for offense, he had no legs left after chasing the kid around today.

Reaction Score
sorry on fickell watch today.

one potential heart break is enough for one day.

we played like crap and our best player was awful on the road and we almost still won. oh well, on to the next.

Hate to say it we've played like crap a lot and almost won enough to be in the dance had we done so. Unfortunately this is the first one of about 7-8 we won. Oh and the other teams play like crap a lot vs UConn hate to tell you. Think it's more than your guys playing like crap, it's our guys making you play like crap on O. Just one mans humble opinion!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom