UConn-Creighton postgame | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn-Creighton postgame

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
And yet, MSGRET, if Nika would look before throwing the pass, there'd have been no TO in those cases.
She had already started to throw the pass, if she stopped the throw then she would have been called for traveling. A good PG always tries anticipate the player's action, sometimes the player that is receiving the ball is the one that messed up.

Reaction Score
11 points (with 3-7 from three) is a lot better than 2 points for 1-9. I'll take 11 points and 7 assists from Muhl any day.

But nika is scoring 11 points every day. Like I said , if you’re gonna ask KK to score more, ya gotta ask nika too.

Reaction Score
Man that first half was butt ugly. Officiating left much to be desired. And I'm being kind. You know it was bad when Geno went off and got a T.

Second half, reality set in for Creighton. Outscored 42 - 20 in the second half. That 3rd quarter was pure UConn. UConn took the passing lanes away, forced turnovers, controled the boards and sped Creighton. Any 20 point win is a very good win.

Ash is amazing. Constant motion. Knows when to shoot. Plays better defense every game.

Paige did Paige things as did Aaliyah and Nika. It amazes me the phyical pounding Aaliyah takes each game. Yet she is relentless.

Ice, even though she picked up four fouls for breathing near a Creighton player held her own. That was huge while Aaliyah had to sit.

We take the win and move on.
AE needs the game to be called loosely. Where she is challenged is adjusting her physicality to a team that flops and draws fouls. If she is in the game UConn has a chance inside, if she isn't they are in big trouble.

Reaction Score
thank you to MJL243 for posting the replay. When I watched the game in person it looked like Edwards got pulled/pushed to the ground right before halftime, a blatant foul. But when I looked at itagain, especially in slow motion, it looked like Edwards got pulled/pushed to the ground and you see her looking at the ref saying "how is that not a foul?" I would have said much worse. Oh wait, I did. and at the top of my lungs. Fans were booing like mad, and when Geno got the T, the place went nuts. A few times it looked like Nika got clobbered, but again, when I looked at it again, especially in slow motion, it looked like got really clobbered. I think that may have had something to do with our ladies not looking great in the first half. It is hard to show up for a basketball game and end up in a rugby game. Sadly, it seems to be the way the game is moving, grabbing at cutting players, shoving, physical versus finesse. I think the days of the motion offense are over if players can't be in motion.

Reaction Score
I’m starting to get bullish on Ice. I think she’s going to have a big moment before the season is over. Looking forward to what she does next year.
Geno has an issue showing that he has confidence in some players and some players need that before they will play with confidence. He only put Ice in the game after AE got into foul trouble late in the second quarter. The rotations today were something.

Reaction Score
UConn isn't going to play good BB in every quarter with 5 players. A typical team would put players in at that point to change the chemistry but UConn is to short on players to do that so they play good defense until the offense comes around.

Reaction Score
Question for those who watched on TV. I was at the game and didn't have the benefit of an instant replay. The play when Geno got T'ed up, it looked to me from where I was sitting that Edwards was put in a headlock from behind and thrown to the court. Did it look that way on TV? Maybe I'll watch a replay tomorrow.

After the "T" Geno really went after the Creighton coach. I thought he was going to get a second T. Did this make the broadcast? I don't think he was very happy with the way Edwards was getting mugged in the paint.

When was the last time Geno got a T? I think he's mellowing...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The notion that freshmen are expected to play at the level of a seasoned college player is just unreasonable. I think Shade and KK have over-achieved expectations and OMG has that been a blessing? Let's just think where would we be without Shade and KK playing the way they are? We would be competing with Xavier for the bottom space in the BE ratings.
9E21FA1E-E83C-4D62-885E-97D342A51337.jpeg

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
But nika is scoring 11 points every day. Like I said , if you’re gonna ask KK to score more, ya gotta ask nika too.
I believe Geno has asked Nika to be more offensively minded. It is obvious from watching this version of the Huskies...that no one player can do it by themselves. There are too many teams that have developed effective defensive schemes to counteract a team that has a dominant post player or a dominant perimeter player. Some of the top teams have the manpower to stop a team that has a dominant post and a dominant perimeter player. If UConn is going to be successful in the post-season they are going to need contributions from all five positions.

1. Nika while she is doing a herculean job with assists, rebounds, and steals... will need to be more offensively minded so defenses don't sag off of her and make it hard for Aaliyah down low.

2. KK same as Nika...KK is also doing a great job in rebounds, assists, and steals but, her lack of offensive productivity is more obvious than Nika's. Nika will hit the three if open and Nika finishes her lay-ups. KK is incredibly inconsistent from three, her pull-up when she does it, is also inconsistent but the most frustrating thing is her frequent drives into traffic where the bigs are waiting to crush her shot. So, if by chance both Nika and KK are having a bad shooting day the pressure on the rest of the team increases exponentially and even more so on Aaliyah in the paint.

3. Shade just needs to keep doing what she is doing...if she can be counted on to give us 12-15 points, 4-5 rebounds, and contribute in steals and assists that is all we can ask of her this season.

4. Aaliyah is playing like an All-American in my view. She is practically an automatic double-double every game. I pray that she doesn't have a bad game the rest of the way. By the way, we will miss her big-time next season.

5. Paige needs to shoot more, hopefully, we will see more days like we saw today from Paige. She was 9-18 (50%) for 24 points. Her three-point shooting was a little off...2-6. We are going to need Paige to hoist up 20-24 shots per game. Of course, it will be easier for Paige to get into a shooting groove if everyone else is doing their job and Paige is being guarded on one or is facing a zone defense. Additionally, Paige needs to be in constant motion...no standing around. If they are going to put a player on her all night long to try and deny her touches then she should do her best to wear that player down so they will be ineffective on the offensive end. Other than Paige shooting more shots...what can you say about a player who is also playing like an All-American and is doing the things on the court that only she can do?

6. Ice...we need her to be able to give us 10-12 quality minutes, no senseless fouls, defend the paint, block some shots, and make shots in the paint when the guards pass her the ball. We don't need to see a double-double from her though it would be nice but, 6 points, 6 rebounds, 2 blocks would add a dimension to UConn that will be very helpful in the post-season.

7. Samuels...is another player who needs to be counted upon to give us 8-10 productive minutes. She is doing very well with the minutes she has been getting. She has been consistently rebounding, her defense is pretty good and she can and does knock down some threes. If Samuels gives us 4-6 points, 2-3 rebounds, and doesn't turn the ball over too much she will also give UConn what they need in reserve.

8. Bettencourt isn't being called upon to provide much off the bench...but, if you remember from last year there were some occasions where Bettencourt was needed and she did just fine, she rose to the occasion and did much more right than wrong. I think she is still that kind of player if we need her to be.

9. Amari needs to understand that she is 6'5". She was recruited by one of the best programs in the country. She has been playing in practice against one of the best post players in the country (Aaliyah). She is being asked to play big for 5-7 minutes per game...I refuse to believe that she doesn't have that in her. It is time to realize that she can contribute to the Husky's post-season run even if it is for limited minutes.

If we get contributions from everyone, get a little help from our competition, stay out of foul trouble, and not incur any more injuries we have a chance to be the echo of Khalid El-Amin's words during their championship run in 1999..."We are going to shock the world".

Reaction Score
I believe Geno has asked Nika to be more offensively minded. It is obvious from watching this version of the Huskies...that no one player can do it by themselves. There are too many teams that have developed effective defensive schemes to counteract a team that has a dominant post player or a dominant perimeter player. Some of the top teams have the manpower to stop a team that has a dominant post and a dominant perimeter player. If UConn is going to be successful in the post-season they are going to need contributions from all five positions.

1. Nika while she is doing a herculean job with assists, rebounds, and steals... will need to be more offensively minded so defenses don't sag off of her and make it hard for Aaliyah down low.

2. KK same as Nika...KK is also doing a great job in rebounds, assists, and steals but, her lack of offensive productivity is more obvious than Nika's. Nika will hit the three if open and Nika finishes her lay-ups. KK is incredibly inconsistent from three, her pull-up when she does it, is also inconsistent but the most frustrating thing is her frequent drives into traffic where the bigs are waiting to crush her shot. So, if by chance both Nika and KK are having a bad shooting day the pressure on the rest of the team increases exponentially and even more so on Aaliyah in the paint.

3. Shade just needs to keep doing what she is doing...if she can be counted on to give us 12-15 points, 4-5 rebounds, and contribute in steals and assists that is all we can ask of her this season.

4. Aaliyah is playing like an All-American in my view. She is practically an automatic double-double every game. I pray that she doesn't have a bad game the rest of the way. By the way, we will miss her big-time next season.

5. Paige needs to shoot more, hopefully, we will see more days like we saw today from Paige. She was 9-18 (50%) for 24 points. Her three-point shooting was a little off...2-6. We are going to need Paige to hoist up 20-24 shots per game. Of course, it will be easier for Paige to get into a shooting groove if everyone else is doing their job and Paige is being guarded on one or is facing a zone defense. Additionally, Paige needs to be in constant motion...no standing around. If they are going to put a player on her all night long to try and deny her touches then she should do her best to wear that player down so they will be ineffective on the offensive end. Other than Paige shooting more shots...what can you say about a player who is also playing like an All-American and is doing the things on the court that only she can do?

6. Ice...we need her to be able to give us 10-12 quality minutes, no senseless fouls, defend the paint, block some shots, and make shots in the paint when the guards pass her the ball. We don't need to see a double-double from her though it would be nice but, 6 points, 6 rebounds, 2 blocks would add a dimension to UConn that will be very helpful in the post-season.

7. Samuels...is another player who needs to be counted upon to give us 8-10 productive minutes. She is doing very well with the minutes she has been getting. She has been consistently rebounding, her defense is pretty good and she can and does knock down some threes. If Samuels gives us 4-6 points, 2-3 rebounds, and doesn't turn the ball over too much she will also give UConn what they need in reserve.

8. Bettencourt isn't being called upon to provide much off the bench...but, if you remember from last year there were some occasions where Bettencourt was needed and she did just fine, she rose to the occasion and did much more right than wrong. I think she is still that kind of player if we need her to be.

9. Amari needs to understand that she is 6'5". She was recruited by one of the best programs in the country. She has been playing in practice against one of the best post players in the country (Aaliyah). She is being asked to play big for 5-7 minutes per game...I refuse to believe that she doesn't have that in her. It is time to realize that she can contribute to the Husky's post-season run even if it is for limited minutes.

If we get contributions from everyone, get a little help from our competition, stay out of foul trouble, and not incur any more injuries we have a chance to be the echo of Khalid El-Amin's words during their championship run in 1999..."We are going to shock the world".
I think KK needs to STOP shooting 3s for a while. Sh is very inconsistent and we rarely get the rebound. I noticed that most of her 3s are very flat...no arc...and routinely hit the front rim. She needs to keep using her speed for drives to the basket or her passing to find other players in position for better shots.

Reaction Score
With as many minutes as the starters had to play today, I'm concerned with how they'll manage 3 games in 3 days at the BE tournament. And we're likely to face Creighton again in game 3.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
With as many minutes as the starters had to play today, I'm concerned with how they'll manage 3 games in 3 days at the BE tournament. And we're likely to face Creighton again in game 3.
While other teams may go deeper in the bench...the final game of the BE tournament usually has on display two very tired teams with heavy legs being a problem. I don't see Creighton's deeper bench being that much more of an advantage over UConn. I would expect Geno to manage the starter's minutes in the earlier rounds of the BE tournament.

Reaction Score
Nice minutes by Ice. She was a little tentative at first but found her aggressiveness as the game went on.

Wow, only 10 TOs. It seemed like more.

Can someone more knowledgeable than me tell me what, if anything, Creighton was doing that prevented the Huskies from setting screens?
I rewatched the first half to try to answer your question. First, our screens at times were allowing room for the defender to get between the screener and the other offensive player so the defender was deliberately going in front of the screen and not being picked. When the screen was set well, the other back defender jumped out on defense perpendicular to the dribbler in what is a close out position so the dribbler can't continue past the screen. The other thing they were doing was to double Paige as soon as she got past a screen on a dribble when the screen was very tightly set. It worked for a while. They also are very good at allowing enough room between the screener and the screener's defender for the primary defender to slip through in back of the screen. On Paige, it was working for a while as was the doubling and tripling of Liyah as soon as she got the ball low. But, you know what the poet said about the best laid plans ...

Reaction Score
I think KK needs to STOP shooting 3s for a while. Sh is very inconsistent and we rarely get the rebound. I noticed that most of her 3s are very flat...no arc...and routinely hit the front rim. She needs to keep using her speed for drives to the basket or her passing to find other players in position for better shots.
Captain, I agree with you on KK's 3-pointers, but she has to be a little smarter on her drives to the basket. Too often she drives when the lane is clogged and gets swatted on her butt. Drive yes, but be smarter about it. Otherwise a pull up jumper or kick it out. Someone needs to tell KK that she's not 6'2".

Reaction Score
I get why some people are on KK a little. I think KK realized her shot was off a bit, but she still has to shoot when Paige finds her all by herself in the corner.

It's been talked about, but Shade's near double-double was very impressive when you throw in that she scored 15 on mid-volume shooting and she didn't have single turnover. And she played 40 minutes. Her conditioning is impressive. It's not like she takes plays off. She bounces around and just keeps on going like the energizer bunny.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
First half was forgettable. Ice trying to find an open man which meant she was open but didn’t shoot. Instead turnover. Her second half was better but certainly not as good as last two games. Nika moving up on the assists board. Shade a bit iffy on defense in first half but was a real spark in the second half. KK had probably one of her worst games this year.
Ice was not open. If her teammates had been moving, she would not have had to hold the ball so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom