OT: - UConn considering to purchase EO Smith | The Boneyard

OT: UConn considering to purchase EO Smith

Reaction Score
Does anyone know what happened in the discussions to purchase EO Smith? Most recent articles I pulled were from 2016, but talks seem to have died down. Anyone know where we stand on this? I’m curious because this is prime real estate and we are constantly looking to expand UConn’s footprint (i.e Storrs Center).

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Mansfield couldn’t find its ass in the shower with both hands.

They asked UConn to consider buying the site and then decided to table it when a group of people complained because they’re from Mansfield and it is their God-given right to screw things up without giving it a moment’s thought.

Reaction Score
Mansfield couldn’t find its ass in the shower with both hands.

They asked UConn to consider buying the site and then decided to table it when a group of people complained because they’re from Mansfield and it is their God-given right to screw things up without giving it a moment’s thought.

This is why we can’t have nice things. I so badly want Storrs to be a college town like Ann Arbor, Athens or Burlington. And it could be one day if the residents of Mansfield would wake up and get out of their own way. That land could be used in so many ways to upgrade our profile to fit in with the so called P5 schools. Also seems like the perfect spot for a future on campus football stadium whenever our contract at the rent runs out.

Reaction Score
This is why we can’t have nice things. I so badly want Storrs to be a college town like Ann Arbor, Athens or Burlington. And it could be one day if the residents of Mansfield would wake up and get out of their own way. That land could be used in so many ways to upgrade our profile to fit in with the so called P5 schools. Also seems like the perfect spot for a future on campus football stadium whenever our contract at the rent runs out.
Apparently, that's what they don't want.

We'll be at the Rent for a long time.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If hell freezes over and UConn builds a football stadium on campus, it won’t be on the E.O. Smith grounds.

Mansfield is perpetually worried about UConn building anything and how it will affect a portion of town that only exists because UConn built something in the first place. If you read the reasonings for putting the E.O. Smith negoatiations on the shelf, it’s a masterclass in little minds with little concerns making a lot of noise.

Reaction Score
If hell freezes over and UConn builds a football stadium on campus, it won’t be on the E.O. Smith grounds.

Mansfield is perpetually worried about UConn building anything and how it will affect a portion of town that only exists because UConn built something in the first place. If you read the reasonings for putting the E.O. Smith negoatiations on the shelf, it’s a masterclass in little minds with little concerns making a lot of noise.

Well I hope those parents only represent current students and not future ones. At some point they’ll have to realize that UConn expansion is good for the town.

In regard to an on campus stadium, if not EO Smith grounds, has there been any speculation as to where they COULD put it?

Reaction Score
We won't see private development outside of campus unless or until Storrs is incorporated as a municipality apart from Mansfield.

Reaction Score
Well I hope those parents only represent current students and not future ones. At some point they’ll have to realize that UConn expansion is good for the town.

In regard to an on campus stadium, if not EO Smith grounds, has there been any speculation as to where they COULD put it?
Only university plot big enough to accommodate a stadium is the corn field behind Mansfield Supply which has the commuter lot at the top of the hill.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Only university plot big enough to accommodate a stadium is the corn field behind Mansfield Supply which has the commuter lot at the top of the hill.
...and the Separatist Tract over behind Freitas, and Horsebarn Hill.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Keep in mind that UConn was going acquire EO Smith in exchange for building a new HS over at Mansfield Depot. It was a great deal for the town. It is a shame that they can't keep their heads out of the their butts long enough to see it.

Reaction Score
When I first watched Making of a Murderer I thought it took place in Mansfield.

PoInt being if it wasn’t for UConn Mansfield would be known for a bunch of weird whacko crap in woods

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
Mansfield would be nothing without University money. All involved with meddling in University affairs are an absolute disgrace.

Reaction Score
University of Georgia's Sanford Stadium is squeezed right in the middle of campus. Plenty of room in Storrs. But it is nice to have plenty of extra parking. The state should just take 1235 Storrs Road by eminent domain. Or state of emergency.

Reaction Score
Mansfield Morans. If you don’t like the university in your backyard move to Willington, Bolton, Tolland, Andover, Ashford...
Who are the Morans? Are they a family that controls the town?

Reaction Score
Who are the Morans? Are they a family that controls the town?
The Morans of Mansfield
j-photo-u1

Reaction Score
Thank god for that. I can actually get to the Rent. I can’t image 20K people trying to get in and out of Storrs on game day.
So what you are implying is that UConn's fan base isn't as committed as those of traditional football schools. I think that's part of the problem here.

Reaction Score
So what you are implying is that UConn's fan base isn't as committed as those of traditional football schools. I think that's part of the problem here.
No, what I am saying is I can’t imagine 20k people trying to get to UConn, Storrs for a football game. The infrastructure is just not in place to support that type of traffic. The Rent is at the perfect location to get the most people to the games.

Reaction Score
No, what I am saying is I can’t imagine 20k people trying to get to UConn, Storrs for a football game. The infrastructure is just not in place to support that type of traffic. The Rent is at the perfect location to get the most people to the games.
I agree that the Rent is a much more accessible location. But not having an on-campus stadium is a factor which hurts UConn. Even if traffic is a bear to get in and out of Storrs, the distance is not. People drive hours, days to get to games for big time programs. People leave UConn games to beat the traffic. That has always been a problem in CT. Think about the distances people drive in Florida and Texas and how minor a little traffic problem should be in our tiny state of CT.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom