UConn Confirms; Jana Out for 23-24 Season | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn Confirms; Jana Out for 23-24 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We really needed her help. I just want Paige, Nika and Aaliyah to have a healthy team to help them go out the right way. They deserve it. If we dont win it all then so be it, I just want a full team to either win together or lose together.

Reaction Score
Man what a huge bummer. I was looking forward to watching her play this year after getting that little extra time last year adjusting and learning. Sending her quick and proper healing vibes.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Man what a huge bummer. I was looking forward to watching her play this year after getting that little extra time last year adjusting and learning. Sending her quick and proper healing vibes.
Yep it seemed like everything was clicking for her.

Reaction Score
Me too Charlie. I think I'm going to take a break from the yard for a few days. I'm devastated. SMH :(
I agree with you, but I can't help myself, I have to see what's going on. My seeing Jana play this year will be delayed by her injury. I did not think she was a freshman with little experience. She was polished and held her own in the FIBA games she played in, scoring and defending well. Her father was her coach since she was little and she had a BIG head start in BB because of it. She also would have grown another inch or two this season and would have been our 5 as a freshman and for years to come, What a pity we won't see her start in Uconn games. I predict she will be an AA in coming years. HANG IN THERE JANA!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
She was going to have a major role. This is a huge loss. Don't kid yourself. So now we have two post players, if they stay healthy. UCONN just can't have a good year. Not one. This throws cold water on the idea that we will finally have a healthy season. There will be more, I fear. It seems that we are fine only until the games begin. Keep your expectations under control. This is a total bummer.
1 Aaliyah
2 Ayanna
3 Ice
4 Amari

Reaction Score
The same could be said for these international trips programs are completing over the course of the summer. Is it worth going overseas for "team building"?
The coaches see a big benefit in the ten additional practices they are allowed before departing for their international trip. Plus it affords a team an opportunity to play in front of a team member’s friends and family if the team has an international on its roster. UConn goes to Croatia for Nika. UCLA will visit Munich (Bessoir’s hometown) and Berlin (Sontag’s hometown). I’m sure there are plenty of other examples.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Come On Please GIF by VERZUZ

Reaction Score
1 Aaliyah
2 Ayanna
3 Ice
4 Amari
The front court is still strong, but I don't really consider Aaliyah or Ayanna prototypical post players............it's Amari and Ice and I'm not sure of Amari's physical condition at this point..............are we certain that she will be at 100% for the start of the new season?

Reaction Score
The coaches see a big benefit in the ten additional practices they are allowed before departing for their international trip. Plus it affords a team an opportunity to play in front of a team member’s friends and family if the team has an international on its roster. UConn goes to Croatia for Nika. UCLA will visit Munich (Bessoir’s hometown) and Berlin (Sontag’s hometown). I’m sure there are plenty of other examples.

There are a lot of examples because a lot of teams are doing it. My point however is if one wants to have FIBA events eliminated, then international tours should get the same scrutiny. They're also outside of the regular season and playing a different set of rules that some consider more physical. Team building can also be done on campus.

Those who have seen my posts know I'm for FIBA competitions and international tours. They can be great experiences for these players. I find it confusing when I read posts where international trips are justifiable but FIBA competitions aren't. They're similar situations to me.

Reaction Score
Thats a reasonable estimate. Although it can be less- Cam Akers (running back LA Rams) returned to action in less than 6 months.
I was surprised to learn of the NBA players who have had Achilles injuries in recent years (Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant, Klay Thompson). Breanna Stewart had one although it wasn’t a complete rupture apparently.
Didn’t David Ortiz as well?

Reaction Score
Wish Jana a full recovery. What a tremendous blow to your program.

I feel like maybe I saw this somewhere.. has there been a look-see into the strength and conditioning program? I say it not in an accusatory way, but in a curious way. You all have been plagued with injuries for years.

Reaction Score
Wish Jana a full recovery. What a tremendous blow to your program.

I feel like maybe I saw this somewhere.. has there been a look-see into the strength and conditioning program? I say it not in an accusatory way, but in a curious way. You all have been plagued with injuries for years.
Perhaps it has more to do with the type of player UCONN recruits. UCONN more consistently than anyone else recruits high motor kids with elite work ethics. Geno has no tolerance for players who take a more lackadaisical approach to the game. In today's 24/7 high school bball environment, I have to think these hard working kids are more prone to injury due to overuse. The high school landscape needs to change.

Reaction Score
The front court is still strong, but I don't really consider Aaliyah or Ayanna prototypical post players............it's Amari and Ice and I'm not sure of Amari's physical condition at this point..............are we certain that she will be at 100% for the start of the new season?
Different shades on the same theme, but I tend to think of our players by position, or at least what they are most likely to play, not whether they are a true post or not. IMO we had two 5's we expected to be quite good, one was likely to be the starter and the other the principle backup. Those were Jana and Ice, and now one is gone.

Yes we have another 5 in Amari who I hope will be very good, but based on two disappointing years I can't honestly expect it, although learning she may have played much of last year with a nagging injury that was dealt with this summer, gives me more hope than I previously had.

The 4 position is covered in so many ways. An All American level starter in Aaliyah and a proven star substitute that should be more available this year at the 4, namely Aubrey, who had to be more of a wing last year out of necessity. Aubrey's performance at the 4 her first two years was far better than Ayanna's last year for example, Ayanna probably would have to make a dramatic improvement to just stay in the rotation.

She may very well do that, but the bar for playing time at the 4 is extremely high with a proven great 1-2 punch, before even considering Caroline, Ice or Amari being used there, or Ayanna blossoming into a star. As long as she doesn't start, Aubrey could play about half the game providing great backup play at both the 3 and the 4.

But now that scenario is dependent on Ice being ready to start at the 5. If she isn't we might have to move Aaliyah to the 5 and start Aubrey at the 4. That takes away much of Aubrey's ability to help on the wing, means Aaliyah plays most of the season out of position at the 5, and means we now need backup 4 minutes from say Ayanna or Caroline. Note a bad situation, but not nearly as good as it could have been either.

Reaction Score
Hope she gets through the surgery quickly and is ready to hit it hard next season. I feel awful for her. She was very excited to play.

The way I look at it, she was going to fill a big role along with AE and Ice. That's okay, she can fill in for AE after this years National Championship comes back to Storrs!

All this being said, hoping for a HUGE jump from Amari and AP. Both have the talent, just need to make it happen on the court. I still think AP could be a BEAST if she can get it all together.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I have not read all of the posts so my bad if this was mentioned. But is it worthwhile to play in these off season tournaments? I know that they love playing ball not only for themselves but for country. Whether it’s international or USA basketball. Sometimes chilling out around the pool, beach or just taking extra foul shots may be a better thing.
You do realize that Jana’s injury literally occurred after she had missed a foul shot, so...Even though there was live action, she was stepping back from the line when she went to the floor. The same action that could happen while retrieving any missed extra foul shot.

Reaction Score
You do realize that Jana’s injury literally occurred after she had missed a foul shot, so...Even though there was live action, she was stepping back from the line when she went to the floor. The same action that could happen while retrieving any missed extra foul shot.
It was just a comment. Nothing more!

Reaction Score
Can’t properly express my reaction when I heard about Jana’s injury, profanity being forbidden on the BY board.
I hope Jana will be able to come through the surgery/healing/rehab process and return next season ready & able to do what she appears to LOVE doing.
She seems to have the personal drive & strength of character to go with her talent that is a prerequisite for joining this “Band of Sisters”.
It almost seems like some coven of witches somewhere ( Knoxville, South Bend?) have laid a curse on our beloved Huskies.
The only thing we know that these Amazons won’t do is quit.
Supposedly, whatever doesn’t kill us makes us stronger.
Geno & Company must all be a bunch of Hulks by now!

Reaction Score
Can’t properly express my reaction when I heard about Jana’s injury, profanity being forbidden on the BY board.
I hope Jana will be able to come through the surgery/healing/rehab process and return next season ready & able to do what she appears to LOVE doing.
She seems to have the personal drive & strength of character to go with her talent that is a prerequisite for joining this “Band of Sisters”.
It almost seems like some coven of witches somewhere ( Knoxville, South Bend?) have laid a curse on our beloved Huskies.
The only thing we know that these Amazons won’t do is quit.
Supposedly, whatever doesn’t kill us makes us stronger.
Geno & Company must all be a bunch of Hulks by now!

I wish Geno can get a big commitment from one of the players at the fifa games. They had quite a few good players.

Reaction Score
Wishing Jana a successful surgical procedure, and recovery. It is unfortunate that this injury has occurred, but Jana‘s friends/family, coaches and teammates will rally around her. Rehabilitation will be hard, but she can, and will do it — she appears to be a fighter. And, she will be back stronger than before.

Boneyarders, sometimes the road to success can be a dangerously long, winding, even treacherous uphill battle. But once the journey is completed and the goal is achieved, we are better able to understand the ”nuances“ of the journey. Stay strong! Remain hopeful and faithful!

Reaction Score
Perhaps it has more to do with the type of player UCONN recruits. UCONN more consistently than anyone else recruits high motor kids with elite work ethics. Geno has no tolerance for players who take a more lackadaisical approach to the game. In today's 24/7 high school bball environment, I have to think these hard working kids are more prone to injury due to overuse. The high school landscape needs to change.
These players play so much, workout so much, they do a lot. I think they love the game but rest is so important. With Jana, she was representing her country. One of the highest honors, can't blame, fault or point towards anyone. But injuries aren't even happening in game anymore, it's offseason and that's not good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom