UConn Competition Gets Team NIL Deal - Fair? (Merged) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn Competition Gets Team NIL Deal - Fair? (Merged)

Reaction Score
It seems the "boosters" are involved in a lot of these deals. I think Uconn has the right approach in helping to partner NIL sponsors and my bet is they will outpace teams like SC in NIL money overall. The opportunities are just so much greater at Uconn, or at least they have been. When the TV money is in the hundreds of millions of dollars ( schools like Texas and OSU ) those advertisers want a good team or that money is largely wasted. There are incredible incentives to throw $500,000 to the players to make sure the team is good year after year. It's chump change. The NIL package may well be the top incentive to go to a school as an athlete now. Uconn needs to stay on this or it will be a game changer.

Reaction Score
If every player is to be compensated for just being on the team, it has nothing to do with being paid for Name, Image, Likeness. The next step is recruits will look for schools with the best $$ guarantees. No NIL needed. Basically, High schoolers will have For Sale signs on their backs.
Aren't you describing college football for the last 90 years? It used to be Army, Fordham, Yale that would hire men as old as 30. That the era before birth and ID records were protected. It got so bad that those schools gave up "big time" football. I grew up rooting for Notre Dame and my farther used to grouse that they were called the fighting Irish but the famous "blocks of granite" line were all Polish men from Chicago.

Reaction Score
Schools gave up big time football and still do because they couldn't, afford to compete. The 30 schools that realize a profit are those with big football teams, big stadiums and big t. v. contracts.

Reaction Score
UConn should step up and give a "NIL" deal to each player a sum of $30K. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Coach Rockwell warned Chip Hilton about this same thing, this and your comment about Texas and Sedona Price. It is 2022, not 1977.
I have "old fashion" values... It's nice ( for a brief amount of time )to live in a "fictional fantasy world" during times of stress!!. I (generally) can accept reality,.... but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I believe that it was Henry James who said ( to his nephew ): "There are three things important in life: the first is to be kind,
the second is to be kind, and the third is ................. to be kind". Pax, have a good day! Z

Reaction Score
$25K might be a lot of money for a college kid, but it's chump change for a fortune 500 company. College athletes can be bought cheap?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Thank you [!!!] for the mentions of Chip Hilton/Coach Rockwell. My favorite books way back in the day...written by Clair Bee. Got them for birthdays and Christmas...just loved them.

Toss in a few other names: Biggie Cohen/Speed Morris/Chip's Mom...Mary/ Soapy Smith [not sure about his last name].
Chip was always the star QB...the star pitcher...and in hoops the Dee Taurasi of that day...5 position player. Valley Falls High and State U had Chip...nobody else did!

Confession: about a year ago I happened to see a mention of that series and thought it would be fun to track a book down and see if it held up 65 years later. The local library [here in the Adirondacks] had zero of the series and tried to find one elsewhere. Well...a couple of weeks later they presented me one...which they had received from a small town in West Virginia....give the local library an A+ for effort. The last time that book had been signed out was 1979....yikes!

My current review of the book which I had read before [of course]. Partly entertaining...partly amusing with some dated language by Bee...brought back wonderful memories. Uhhh...for being Mr.Perfect Chip did get into somewhat regular
fights...of course always on the side of righteousness...and always winning.

Reaction Score
Do you think Boston and Cooke are only gonna get 25K? I can assure you that it’s “minimum wage.” Each player can negotiate further endorsements.

Sit on the bench and get the equivalent of a $12.00 per hour worker’s annual salary. Not bad.

Question: does this make the scholarship etc “taxable income?”
Boston might be around 100K this season with all of her other NIL deals same for Zia.

Reaction Score
I looked at the stipulation of the SC NIL, which specify this: Per the release, each member of the team will be responsible for deliverables that include community appearances, social media engagement and sponsored interviews.

From what I know, the UConn women already do these things. The marketing agency that is handing out the NILs for SC isn't doing it without something done in return, which is fair enough.

In the case of the UConn women, they are often asked to do interviews and do specials for SNY. They are actively involved in a lot of community service which lends a positive image to the UConn brand.

So I'm thinking who would have more a vested interest in the team's success than SNY? The ratings have been rock solid for the network and in order to continue that trend, the network would want to ensure UConn still bring in the highest level of talent in the women's game. As part of their contract with the university, they should have a portion of what is being paid to the school for broadcast rights go to the players themselves in the form of NIL in exchange for the players to do interviews, public appearances, etc. (things they pretty much already do).

The UConn women and SNY have had a great partnership over the years. The network has given the players and program a lot of exposure and has helped with recruiting and continued success. The UConn women have returned the favor by providing the network with a "good product" that has produced solid ratings.

So in order to continue the success of the partnership, it may be time for SNY to modify how the broadcasting fees are distributed to keep the team on elite level with the changing times, which benefits both the program and the network.

Reaction Score
mbr33cent stated, to give every UConn player 30k. If the school makes the payment, they must pay every student receiving an athletic scholarship, as they are a state school. The athletic dept. is operating at a 47 million$ deficit, where do you think the money would come from?

Reaction Score
and only a 4 star. I don't even want to think about the sources of money University of Miami has access to. :oops:

Miami is poor compared to powerhouses like Alabama & Texas. Just you wait & see.

Reaction Score
mbr33cent stated, to give every UConn player 30k. If the school makes the payment, they must pay every student receiving an athletic scholarship, as they are a state school. The athletic dept. is operating at a 47 million$ deficit, where do you think the money would come from?

Reaction Score

25K isn't as much as I had hoped. Without some distribution of NIL, humans being what they are, and in the right circumstances they are really nice, money tends to separate the wheat from the shaft.
Over time one or 2 player getting very rich while support players get the pleasure of their company can cause issues.
I'm one who believes Fairness is essential in the School atmosphere since life isn't fair, and you'll learn soon enough.

Reaction Score
JordyG is right on the mark. Here is the basis of all market decisions:

View attachment 79405

There is a price axis, a quantity axis, and no fairness axis.
Equilibrium is the point at which buyers and sellers agree, and a transaction occurs. Unless someone is forcing the buyer to open her wallet, or price controls are imposed on sellers, the point of equilibrium is as close to “fair” as you are going to get. Markets don't give a damn about fair. :cool:
That's business, not college. Business if you don't make a certain profit, pay your help a certain wage, have the proper working conditions, benefits--you and no one works. The NIL of that is what the business i.e the traffic is willing to pay. Is any of that FAIR? It depends on where you are sitting at the time

Reaction Score
This discussion about what is fair seems to deal with players on a team. If a team has a player or two making huge amounts of NIL $$ and the school is going every player $25,000, I’m not sure that the feeling of “fairness” will flow through the team.

A bigger issue for me is fairness related to all schools and teams. If this minimum gift to all players grows to much higher amounts, many schools won’t be able to compete for top recruits. This will cause the growing parity that we enjoy as fans to reverse. A sad state of affairs.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'separate the wheat from the shaft.'
wheat:
spring-wheat_photo-cred-adobe-stock_E1.jpg

shaft:
John-Shaft-Richard-Roundtree-b.jpg

tough call as im having trouble seeing the difference, too.

Reaction Score
As I have stated before the U of Texas at Austin, where I live has a yearly revenue of 237 to 247 million per year. The athletic Dept has been # 1 or close to # 1 for 15 years. The starting q.b. left, went to Ohio State, made 2 million in NIL and transferred back to Texas, once the state signed on. Obscene isn't it.!

Reaction Score
"the growing parity we enjoy as fans to reverse" What parity? The biggest revenue in college sports is the income from football. There are and have been for years, only a handful of teams that compete for the N.C. every year. The usual suspects are at the top of women's basketball every season as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom