UConn Competition Gets Team NIL Deal - Fair? (Merged) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Competition Gets Team NIL Deal - Fair? (Merged)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
FAIR is a place where they judge pigs. :cool:

If a NIL deal were to be formed, it be strictly voluntary of behalf of the donors. No. The administration nor the athletes should not petition anyone for anything. In light of what SC has going, my thinking is that an alum or a group of alums would on their own volition form something similar to what SC has to level the playing field.

Of course we have no way of knowing how SC's NIL deal came into existence, but it did. One only need look at how the various levels of NIL deals and opportunities at various colleges and universities across the country has affected recruiting in football. Remember when Nick Sabin (Alabama) publicly accused Jimbo Fisher (Texas A&M) of buying practically all of his recruits this year? He later retracted that accusation and issued an apology, but alas, the genie was out of the bottle. WCBB (I don't think) will ever reach THAT proportion, but I can see the day when the availability of lucrative NIL deals will sway recruits one way or the other. THIS is what I had in mind.......

STORRS, Conn. - The University of Connecticut has expanded its partnership with Opendorse to include an official Name, Image, Likeness Marketplace, which will allow for UConn student-athletes to engage in NIL activity with fans, and local and national sponsors in a more secure and seamless fashion. The NIL Marketplace will provide another level of support from Opendorse as UConn student-athletes explore NIL endeavors.

This NIL thing is still in its infancy. Who knows where it's going to be 5-10 years from now?

Reaction Score
Of course it isn't fair. Who said that anything about economics or social hierarchies is fair? To paraphrase a line from the movie "Terms of Endearments", my mother and father told me a lot of things about life, but they never said it was fair, and anyone that thinks there should be equality of outcome in anything is delusional.
How about a 'level playing field' ?? I am reminded of Northwestern's
student athletes attempt to form a "UNION". I'm a Eugene V. Debs
fan: aka = " The Fireman ". Quiz question: What political office did the
"Fireman" run for while in prison?

Reaction Score
I foresee the athletes in sports such as crew, badminton, swimming, tennis, squash, lacrosse, etc. filing class action discrimination suits. What makes one sport more important or of more value than others? Stay tuned.

Reaction Score
I live in Austin, home of the U of Texas. The revenue, as most of you know, of the athletic dept. exceeds 200 million annually and Forbes has labeled the Longhorns as Texas Inc. I can only speak about what I know. Texas Tech's NIL deal is 25,000 per 2 semesters= 1 year. For years, wealthy schools, not quite on the scale as it is now , have through donors given top players perks ,as no show jobs. ESPN has also partnered with the school in the Longhorn Network paying 130 million over 10 years to the school for that marketing business. As 2 super conferences have been formed, collegiate sports have become the haves and the have nots. Remember there are only 30 schools athletic departments that operate in the black. There may come a day when scholarships are accompanied with an additional financial contract.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
JordyG is right on the mark. Here is the basis of all market decisions:

View attachment 79405

There is a price axis, a quantity axis, and no fairness axis.
Equilibrium is the point at which buyers and sellers agree, and a transaction occurs. Unless someone is forcing the buyer to open her wallet, or price controls are imposed on sellers, the point of equilibrium is as close to “fair” as you are going to get. Markets don't give a damn about fair. :cool:
True, but that curve is equally applicable to legal and illegal activities.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
I foresee the athletes in sports such as crew, badminton, swimming, tennis, squash, lacrosse, etc. filing class action discrimination suits. What makes one sport more important or of more value than others? Stay tuned.
Uhhhh… who are they going to sue?

Obviously not the colleges and universities, who are not involved directly in the NIL transactions. That leaves the sponsors. Can a ping pong player or collective sue to force a commercial entity to sponsor them, with little or no prospect of corresponding economic benefit?

If you foresee such a suit, I suggest an introductory business law class. Even the most callous ambulance chaser wouldn't take on a case like the one you've described. Getting the case thrown out would be a near certainty, and public ridicule and potential disbarment wouldn't be far behind.

Reaction Score
JordyG is right on the mark. Here is the basis of all market decisions:

View attachment 79405

There is a price axis, a quantity axis, and no fairness axis.
Equilibrium is the point at which buyers and sellers agree, and a transaction occurs. Unless someone is forcing the buyer to open her wallet, or price controls are imposed on sellers, the point of equilibrium is as close to “fair” as you are going to get. Markets don't give a damn about fair. :cool:
I wonder who is managing the compliance of whatever the rules of this new " game" are.
Like taxe .... if you don't have enough monitors more people will " game" the system and
the situation will become even more chaotic than it apparently is already. Of
course it is not " fair" . But..... I don't look forward to the future " shoes dropping".
Remember GENO's comments early on ??

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
True, but that curve is equally applicable to legal and illegal activities.
Illegal? Did I hear you correctly? Did you really say, “illegal“?
Where do you think we are, Knoxville? :p

6724A64A-9B9A-4F0F-B47E-BF9A253FCC0E.jpeg

Reaction Score
I live in Austin, home of the U of Texas. The revenue, as most of you know, of the athletic dept. exceeds 200 million annually and Forbes has labeled the Longhorns as Texas Inc. I can only speak about what I know. Texas Tech's NIL deal is 25,000 per 2 semesters= 1 year. For years, wealthy schools, not quite on the scale as it is now , have through donors given top players perks ,as no show jobs. ESPN has also partnered with the school in the Longhorn Network paying 130 million over 10 years to the school for that marketing business. As 2 super conferences have been formed, collegiate sports have become the haves and the have nots. Remember there are only 30 schools athletic departments that operate in the black. There may come a day when scholarships are accompanied with an additional financial contract.
Does anyone recall the story of how U of TEXAS, and their WBB program, took " care "of
Sedona Prince? With all that U of Texas revenue... it was a shame / Crime (IMO) how she
was treated. Kudos to U of Oregon and Kelly Graves for picking up a great women athlete
and great person ( eg . the "weight rooms" at the NCAA tournment for men and women).
Go SEDONA!!

Reaction Score
Sifaka, agree with you 100 percent, it is whatever the market dictates. How is the situation chaotic ? It is pretty simple and cut and dry.

Reaction Score
Who are they gonna sue?

Reaction Score
d feee
Say it ain’t so!
Mixed Feelings. Love to see the money going to UConn athleletes. Concerned that programs like this will be implemented all over the US - not sure if this complies with rewarding likeness & image. Looks like any school can pay to play with little value provided by athlete. In the long run, UConn has a strong alumni base but suspect 25%+ of the teams have the capacity to outspend us. I likeld our ability to outrecruit, not buy players.

Reaction Score
What does this have to do with Sedona Prince ? You obviously have some animosity and what does revenue have to do with a medical law suit ? The thread is about NIL and the fairness surrounding it .

Reaction Score
I suppose this is an attempt to keep everyone content to maintain a roster. Otherwise, you will have the more marketable athletes getting "the big bucks" while the supporting cast gets nothing. Not exactly a formula for "team unity" given human nature.

This is what I've been saying all along- the stars will clean up but the supporting cast will get squat and we'll see teams & even entire programs destroyed by envy.

Reaction Score
The important comparison on the subject, is the financials and the state of college sports. U Conn is #1 in revenue in non power 5 conference schools. In 2021 they operated at a 47 million$ deficit. Financial disparity will destroy programs, not NIL .

Reaction Score
If every player is to be compensated for just being on the team, it has nothing to do with being paid for Name, Image, Likeness. The next step is recruits will look for schools with the best $$ guarantees. No NIL needed. Basically, High schoolers will have For Sale signs on their backs.

Reaction Score
It's certainly more fair than having 1 or 2 players get deals & the rest of the team getting nothing.
Why? The entire reason for companies shelling out money is economic. The company decides who they think can both promote and represent their brand and pays them accordingly. It’s not charity and no one would/should expect a business to pay someone who is less able to represent them in a way as to improve their profits/image. Now, I would agree it’s a bit sad, as some kids (the majority) will be unlikely to benefit from this NIL thing without some sort of team approach. I personally am against the whole idea but since I’m not in charge, I have to think (barring some unseen/unintended consequences) that more teams should make an effort to obtain full roster deals for their kids. Of course, as always, this will once again benefit the top teams and create an even wider gap between the “haves” and the “have nots” but at least it will help with the sad reality of most kids not benefiting from the NIL deals.

Reaction Score
If every player is to be compensated for just being on the team, it has nothing to do with being paid for Name, Image, Likeness. The next step is recruits will look for schools with the best $$ guarantees. No NIL needed. Basically, High schoolers will have For Sale signs on their backs.
Coach Rockwell warned Chip Hilton about this same thing,.....many times.
Does anyone remember the New York City Colleges and the point shaving schemes.?
Some things are bad "mixes"...... I wonder what will be the first pendulum swing back
from this tread.....and who might be leading that "adjustment".

Reaction Score
I suppose this is an attempt to keep everyone content to maintain a roster. Otherwise, you will have the more marketable athletes getting "the big bucks" while the supporting cast gets nothing. Not exactly a formula for "team unity" given human nature.
Do you think Boston and Cooke are only gonna get 25K? I can assure you that it’s “minimum wage.” Each player can negotiate further endorsements.

Sit on the bench and get the equivalent of a $12.00 per hour worker’s annual salary. Not bad.

Question: does this make the scholarship etc “taxable income?”

Reaction Score
SC stipulates that each player will have the opportunity to earn a minimum of $25,000 per year. Without getting into all the details there are several opportunities - and some are coming from national brands. This is something that’s been in the works. The benefit is that it’s a great recruiting tool and it gives everybody an opportunity to get something.

Reaction Score
Coach Rockwell warned Chip Hilton about this same thing, this and your comment about Texas and Sedona Price. It is 2022, not 1977.

Reaction Score
I've said it before, NIL will prove to be the kiss of death for big time college athletics. No one thought the ramifications out. Fair or not fair is irrelevant, NIL will eat up and destroy all!
We will be seeing so much more of this....

I could post so much more but no need. Sad to say at the least.... The love of the game is dying at a fast pace .....

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
We will be seeing so much more of this....

I could post so much more but no need. Sad to say at the least.... The love of the game is dying at a fast pace .....
and only a 4 star. I don't even want to think about the sources of money University of Miami has access to. :oops:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom