UConn @ College of Charleston (Fri. 2/22 @ 4p, Sat 2/23 @ 2p & Sun. 2/24 @ 12p) @ | Page 13 | The Boneyard

UConn @ College of Charleston (Fri. 2/22 @ 4p, Sat 2/23 @ 2p & Sun. 2/24 @ 12p) @

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
CJ looks like a solid 8th inning guy. Our pitching got some more k's today.

Those defensive miscues early are being felt now. Someone fetch the rally papaya.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Argh. We should have won today, but we couldn't execute when it mattered.

Reaction Score
Hopefully Feole will be back starting next week, that would help out things very nicely.

Reaction Score
So, hopefully the Huskies will get Mason Feole starting games for them next weekend. With Feole and Kersten going back to back in the weekend rotation, that will take care of a lot of pitching ills right there. Personally, I think it was a great thing that UConn was able to take one series to open the season without Feole pitching, it's just that most people would have thought the results in these two opening series would have been reversed.

Good to see Pat Winkel get some playing time to close today's game, I imagine he be good to go next weekend. Also Mike Chiovitti got some playing time, and was able to show an ability to get on base with three walks today. Have to think he will get more playing time next weekend, although I am sure that Kyler Fedko and Will Lucas will continue to get chances in games in the future as well. With Pat Winkel back, Phillips could be seeing more starts at D.H as well.

UConn's schedule is about to pick up the tempo. From next weekend on through almost the end of April the Huskies are scheduled to play 4 or 5 games a week instead of 3 weekend games that we have seen the last couple of weeks, so there will be a lot more work for the pitchers. More games may also help get the fielding and other aspects of their play back into better shape as well.

Next weekend I half expect that Kenny Haus will replace Colby Dunlop as a starter, with Kersten, Simeone, and hopefully Feole taking up the other three spots. One would think that Dunlop will have to get himself sorted out with bullpen work or the odd weekday start. The coaching staff was high on him at the beginning of the season, so I doubt we have seen the last of him. I'm half reminded that Wills Montgomerie started his sophomore season as a weekend starter, got bounced from that job in mid March, and then returned to the weekend rotation sometime in April and was able to to slowly solidify his hold on the job to the point where he was a high MLB draft pick after his junior year. Still, it seems to be that Montgomerie had a lot more issues with control and composure than Dunlop does, and that Montgomerie never got hit around as badly as Dunlop has been these two weeks.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Penders Post Game:

Huskies lose series to College of Charleston., 7-6

Notes:
  • Mike Woodworth collected his second-straight three hit effort and tied his career-high with three RBIs.
  • Joe Simeone set a new career-high with six strikeouts.
  • CJ Dandeneau recorded a career-high 3.2 innings and six strikeouts.
  • Thad Phillips notched his first multi-hit game of 2019.
  • Michael Chiovitti made his first career start and went 0-1 with three walks.

Reaction Score
Looks like Kersten, Simeone, Haus and Feole. Dunlop may not get another chance until mid week games pick up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom