UConn @ College of Charleston (Fri. 2/22 @ 4p, Sat 2/23 @ 2p & Sun. 2/24 @ 12p) @ | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn @ College of Charleston (Fri. 2/22 @ 4p, Sat 2/23 @ 2p & Sun. 2/24 @ 12p) @

Reaction Score
Agree with Penders that when the younger Feddy figures it out the flood gates will open. Even woody was miserable to start last year than got a couple knocks he never looked back. Will be interested to see if Nuce gets back in lineup tomorrow since team needs more offense than what was out there today.
Nucerino didn't make the trip

Reaction Score

Have to think Colby Dunlop's weekend starting spot is in jeopardy, it is not a good thing for you when Coach Penders does not mention you by name in the postgame interview. On the other side, Avery Santos and Jimmy Wang got very positive reviews for their performance.

Reaction Score
Looking like showers noon -3pm today (per weather underground). Wondering if game may start early to try to get it in. Would be a huge win today, if we can start season 4-2 without having Feole pitch.

Reaction Score
Looking like showers noon -3pm today (per weather underground). Wondering if game may start early to try to get it in. Would be a huge win today, if we can start season 4-2 without having Feole pitch.

Fingers crossed on both acccounts! Winning another weekend series would be big heading into strong field next weekend @ Coastal.

Reaction Score
Weird that they didn't already move it up or play a double header yesterday.

I'm guessing Charleston's field must drain pretty well. Still, I think the primary reason for the game not being moved is money. The school charges an admission fee to attend their baseball games, so they are probably loathe to move game times around unless they feel it is absolutely necessary. They would lose a gate if they played a doubleheader, and I'm guessing they are quite willing to live with a short rain delay to preserve an original start time.

Reaction Score
Anyone know the travel cut-off time?

No, but it usually seems that UConn often flies out in the evening in many of these southern trips. I'm guessing the game could survive a delay of an hour or so and still be able to get it in fairly easy.

Reaction Score
Mike Chiovitti gets his first start as a Husky in right field. Chiovitti got a couple at bats yesterday in relief of a pressing Kyler Fedko. I've been looking forward to the Avery Point product getting some playing time.

Reaction Score
Bottom of the order has to give us something today. Hopefully Phillips will help out there.

I'm thinking Phillips may have seen some D.H. time in previous games if it were not for the injury to Pat Winkel. With Winkel out, Phillips had to be available for back up catching duty behind Gozzo.

Reaction Score
A decent game for Joe Simeone today probably gives him a leg up over Colby Dunlop for the Sunday starting spot. From that postgame interview yesterday it really sounded like an unnamed Dunlop was really getting into the doghouse of Coach Penders.

Reaction Score
Fingers crossed on both acccounts! Winning another weekend series would be big heading into strong field next weekend @ Coastal.
Absolutely!! Coastal (7-0) is rolling offensively to start the season. They haven't scored less then 7-runs in a game yet.

Reaction Score
Will be interesting to see who Penders chooses to throw against each of the 4 opponents next weekend.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mike Chiovitti gets his first start as a Husky in right field. Chiovitti got a couple at bats yesterday in relief of a pressing Kyler Fedko. I've been looking forward to the Avery Point product getting some playing time.
I think the staff was trying to give Kyler a chance to swing his way out of it early on. He's definitely pressing, getting behind in the count and chasing balls out of the zone. I love his aggressiveness, but he just needs to slow the game down right now. He's trying to hit a 5-run HR with every swing. If he can keep it simple, focus on driving the ball in the RCF gap, he'll start to run into a few. Sometimes it's good to watch the game from a different perspective to get things figured out. He'll grow from this and will be better for it, no doubt.

Reaction Score
I think the staff was trying to give Kyler a chance to swing his way out of it early on. He's definitely pressing, getting behind in the count and chasing balls out of the zone. I love his aggressiveness, but he just needs to slow the game down right now. He's trying to hit a 5-run HR with every swing. If he can keep it simple, focus on driving the ball in the RCF gap, he'll start to run into a few. Sometimes it's good to watch the game from a different perspective to get things figured out. He'll grow from this and will be better for it, no doubt.

Chris Jones was talking about this in recent games, and during post game interviews with Coach Penders. Apparently much the same thing happened with Kyler during fall ball, took him quite some time to get his first hit. Once he did, the flood gates opened and Kyler pounded the ball. Jones was speculating the same thing could happen again once he gets his first hit of the spring season. I doubt anybody is giving up on Kyler Fedko, or Will Lucas, for that matter, especially the coaching staff.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Game time. Lead off single for Woody.

He's starting to hit. Last season it took Woodworth several weeks to get going with the bat. Woodworth thrown out stealing, first time he has been thrown out stealing as a Husky according to Chris Jones.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom