UConn Coaching changes | The Boneyard

UConn Coaching changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Seems like OC DeLeone will now also be the O-Line coach and Foley will move to Tight Ends. Hard to figure those moves.

Reaction Score
Kind of confusing. Hard to argue that Foley was anything but brilliant at Oline prior to this season. So what happened? Is he not fitting with the style of attack we are trying to run? I don't understand.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Foley is a proven OL coach and we are moving him??? I know that DeLeone has an experience edge, but I don't like this move either. Then again, I know little about the technicalities of football.

Reaction Score
Perhaps this is more of a "promotion" than anything else. I recall from last year, after PP was hired, that there was some talk about how much PP valued the TEs in his offense. In his first season with us, there wasn't as much production from ours as was expected. So it may be that PP would like Foley to work his magic on our TEs for next season. After all, he's done so well with the O line, and the TE position is an extension of that, so why not let him try to improve ours?

Reaction Score
This isn't a promotion. George wants to coach the OL, and George is P's guy. Whether anyone thinks he will be better than Foley or not is not part of the decision process.

Wouldn't surprise me if this is a precursor to encouraging Foley to move on after one more year, as was the demotion of Morehead.

Reaction Score
This isn't a promotion. George wants to coach the OL, and George is P's guy. Whether anyone thinks he will be better than Foley or not is not part of the decision process.

Wouldn't surprise me if this is a precursor to encouraging Foley to move on after one more year, as was the demotion of Morehead.

This is how I read it as well. Don't like it.

Reaction Score
Not in favor either, build its Ps ship. For his sake, the line better perform. That has been an area of strength for years.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
tic tock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score

???? Are you really suggesting there what I think your suggesting? maybe that was just some kind of misfire on the thought processes. You're smarter than that.

All the news of this potential coaching move does, is make me all the more curious as to who the next QB coach is going to be.

Reaction Score
Correct me if I am wrong but I think Deleone was the OLine coach at Ole Miss when Oher and those guys had a very good line? I understand Foley is good but he does have some experience with OLine.

Another thing is he will never be able to criticize them much if they are not performing!

Reaction Score
???? Are you really suggesting there what I think your suggesting? maybe that was just some kind of misfire on the thought processes. You're smarter than that.

All the news of this potential coaching move does, is make me all the more curious as to who the next QB coach is going to be.

I have absolutely no clue what you think I am thinking.

Reaction Score
Deleone was also the O-line coach for the SD Chargers in 1997 under Kevin Gilbride. This move doesn't surprise me. I'm more surprised that Foley didn't get an offer to coach for Edsall at Maryland.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i'm not either way on this. we had great olines in the past with foley. can't argue that. but that was with REs playbook. Del sure has expierence so its not like we put a newbie in charge there and plus last year wasn't one of our better oline years. maybe with where the staff is trying to take this playbookit was better for Del to be coaching that spot. i'll wait and see...not upset but not thrilled.

Reaction Score
DeLeone is an experienced offensive line coach, but I'm not sure I want my offensive coordinator spending his time on the oline. But I agree that once you hire a coach you need to give hime the keys and let him drive his way. I really like Foley and what he's done, too. I think we'll see what happens. If we start getting outstnding tight end play next year, well...

Carl, Unless the staff really screwed up, I think we have a pretty solid guess as to who starts at quarterback next year. You don't go out and bring in a highly rated JUCO unless you plan to use him. In Whtmer's case it is a little different in that he has 3 years eligibility apparently, but that tells you something else, I think.

Reaction Score
DeLeone is an experienced offensive line coach, but I'm not sure I want my offensive coordinator spending his time on the oline. But I agree that once you hire a coach you need to give hime the keys and let him drive his way. I really like Foley and what he's done, too. I think we'll see what happens. If we start getting outstnding tight end play next year, well...

Carl, Unless the staff really screwed up, I think we have a pretty solid guess as to who starts at quarterback next year. You don't go out and bring in a highly rated JUCO unless you plan to use him. In Whtmer's case it is a little different in that he has 3 years eligibility apparently, but that tells you something else, I think.

As noted, all this hire really does for me, is make me even more curious as to who's going to be added to the staff.

The coaching moves make good sense to me. Deleone has coached both pass block and run block on the OL for longer than most of us have been alive, and not just coached it, coached it effectively. Foley is a very good offensive coach, but has been very run heavy on the OL as a coach his entire career really, since Dartmouth, but he is a good coach and offensive mind, and has been both a receivers coach, and an offensive coordinator, as well as head coach.

In the pro-set offense, the TE is the most versatile and most mentally demanding position, aside from the guy actually taking the snaps from center. The TE, in the type of offense that I think we're moving toward, can line up in an offensive formation in tight to the offensive line traditional, or in the backfield, as a flanker, a slot, or a split end.

If these moves happen, putting Foley in charge of that, seems like a pretty good thing to me, while putting Deleone in charge of the OL, in year two of the system, and needing both pass protect and run block, is a pretty good thing to me too.

But I'm more curious than ever as to who's going to be working w/ the QB's, and if/how that person may or may not be involved with the overall offensive coordinator responsibilities.

Reaction Score
As noted, all this hire really does for me, is make me even more curious as to who's going to be added to the staff.

The coaching moves make good sense to me. Deleone has coached both pass block and run block on the OL for longer than most of us have been alive, and not just coached it, coached it effectively. Foley is a very good offensive coach, but has been very run heavy on the OL as a coach his entire career really, since Dartmouth, but he is a good coach and offensive mind, and has been both a receivers coach, and an offensive coordinator, as well as head coach.

In the pro-set offense, the TE is the most versatile and most mentally demanding position, aside from the guy actually taking the snaps from center. The TE, in the type of offense that I think we're moving toward, can line up in an offensive formation in tight to the offensive line traditional, or in the backfield, as a flanker, a slot, or a split end.

If these moves happen, putting Foley in charge of that, seems like a pretty good thing to me, while putting Deleone in charge of the OL, in year two of the system, and needing both pass protect and run block, is a pretty good thing to me too.

But I'm more curious than ever as to who's going to be working w/ the QB's, and if/how that person may or may not be involved with the overall offensive coordinator responsibilities.

Seen as early last year's spring game

Reaction Score
I don't like it either. But we've given P the car keys, and he has every right to drive it his way.

Completely agree. Coach P has an obligation to assemble a staff that he feels will give UCONN the best chance to win. I am a bit puzzled by the move, as Foley is one of the premier college O Line coaches in the nation, IMO. I said it in another post, but I am sure he will still be involved in coaching the lineman, as tight ends often practice with them.

Reaction Score
Deleone was also the O-line coach for the SD Chargers in 1997 under Kevin Gilbride. This move doesn't surprise me. I'm more surprised that Foley didn't get an offer to coach for Edsall at Maryland.

Also very surprising. Foley has consistently churned out effective offensive lines, sometimes without many options, including starting a 260 pounder at tackle, and various walk ons (one of which ended up in the NFL). I am sure teams with O Line vacancies will be calling next season. I don't expect Coach Foley to stick around. Which is too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom