UCONN, CINCY, USF: Crying all the way to the bank | The Boneyard

UCONN, CINCY, USF: Crying all the way to the bank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Although sometimes mentioned in passing in some of the various Big East breakup or No-ACC-for Uconn lamentation threads, insufficient consideration has thus far been given to the $100million that UCONN, CINCY and USF will receive as compensation for the BE annihilation.

That rather large payout could make it a lot easier to kick start The American, the new American Athletic Conference or AAC.

As a source for the payout sum, I rely on:

http://articles.courant.com/2013-03...ools-pittsburgh-and-syracuse-football-schools

I have not seen any more recent or more detailed articles on the big payout. Have others?

There are worse things to think about during the off season... :-/

How to spend 30large might not be a bad pastime at all.

Just sayin'

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
While UConn may get a large payoff by the teams leaving the Big East, its a short lived gain. The ACC and B10 will have significantly larger annual dollars distributions that they receive from the NCAA, TV Revenue etc, then the AAC will have. It might take only two or three years of annual distributions to match what UConn will receive in a one time payment.

IMHO if UConn is to get invited to another conference, the Football team will have to improve significantly this year, if they don't then if there is an expansion, Cincinnati might get chosen over UConn.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Although sometimes mentioned in passing in some of the various Big East breakup or No-ACC-for Uconn lamentation threads, insufficient consideration has thus far been given to the $100million that UCONN, CINCY and USF will receive as compensation for the BE annihilation.

That rather large payout could make it a lot easier to kick start The American, the new American Athletic Conference or AAC.

As a source for the payout sum, I rely on:

http://articles.courant.com/2013-03...ools-pittsburgh-and-syracuse-football-schools

I have not seen any more recent or more detailed articles on the big payout. Have others?

There are worse things to think about during the off season... :-/

How to spend 30large might not be a bad pastime at all.

Just sayin'

Your subsequent advocacy for the Big East, er, the AAC would carry more weight if in your original advocacy you did not cite geography as an important consideration for remaining loyal to the Big East. An attitude of making the best of whatever conference you're in is commendable. An attitude of I'll cherry pick whatever I can, and change that over time, to justify a claim of what's best is simply disingenuous.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I agree with Nan. UCONN should spend $0 on doing anything for the new league. If we end up there for any length of time, it will be marked as a low point in the illustrious sports history of UCONN. The AAC will be nice for a year. After that, the sooner we get out the better. Of course it all depends on other leagues growing. Maybe the Big10 will realize RU brings nothing to the table and UCONN has better penetration in the NY market than they do...

Reaction Score
If football is truly the driving force for realignment, UCONN will wait many years for a bid from a major conference. No point in sitting on the payout IMHO.

Reaction Score
While UConn may get a large payoff by the teams leaving the Big East, its a short lived gain. The ACC and B10 will have significantly larger annual dollars distributions that they receive from the NCAA, TV Revenue etc, then the AAC will have. It might take only two or three years of annual distributions to match what UConn will receive in a one time payment...

No one time payment - it will be spread out over 4-5 years by all recent reports. Distribution by school be finalized during Conference meeting @ end of May in Florida.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Yeah, that's a pretty old article and has been noted in a couple of subsequent articles, the payment is something in I believe the $4M-$5M range spread out over 4+ years, so it puts UConn at about the funding level for those years as it was in the expiring BEast. And the three schools while they are part of the AAC do not want to do anything that hurts their standing with the teams joining the conference, so the money issues will need to be handled carefully.

Reaction Score
Your subsequent advocacy for the Big East, er, the AAC would carry more weight if in your original advocacy you did not cite geography as an important consideration for remaining loyal to the Big East. An attitude of making the best of whatever conference you're in is commendable. An attitude of I'll cherry pick whatever I can, and change that over time, to justify a claim of what's best is simply disingenuous.

Wait, your criticism and/or appeal to the constraint of consistency is misapplied. I continue to abide in the value of geography on college conference placement. The fact that Houston is where it is does not make Clemson in closer.

Both are too far away.

On the other hand, Navy and Temple are not, UCF is consistent with both USF and the symbiotic relationship between FL and the northeast.

All in all, The American is a geographical reach. But so is the ACC, IMO.

I would have preferred a conference like,say, the Big East, but that was not to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom