UConn Century Club Diminished | The Boneyard

UConn Century Club Diminished

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
I regret to inform the Boneyard that the Century Club of the UConn Women's Basketball supporters has lost a member. My mother-in-law, Evelyn, a long-time and fervid fan, died peacefully in her sleep on December 10 in Hamden, CT. We think she chose that time— even though she was just 16 days short of her 100th birthday— because her "girls" had regained their #1 ranking and secured that place by once again defeating Notre Dame. Since 1996 she has never missed a game broadcast, and she and my wife always exchanged long-distance telephone critiques of her team's performance both at halftime and game's end.

Her grasp of the technical side of the game was a bit tentative, but that did not dilute her certainty that UConn players never fouled. She also faltered when mastering pronunciation of some names. For example, she exclaimed, "Boy that Bossa Nova can really shoot!" That was about her all time favorite "Russian Girl," Svetlana Abrosimova.

She leaves her signed poster of Geno, a fellow Italian character, to her husband and devoted fan, Lou, 101 years old. He and I watched his wife's team outlast Kansas State on Sunday; we agreed that she would have approved.

I hope there's basketball in heaven.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I regret to inform the Boneyard that the Century Club of the UConn Women's Basketball supporters has lost a member. My mother-in-law, Evelyn, a long-time and fervid fan, died peacefully in her sleep on December 10 in Hamden, CT. We think she chose that time— even though she was just 16 days short of her 100th birthday— because her "girls" had regained their #1 ranking and secured that place by once again defeating Notre Dame. Since 1996 she has never missed a game broadcast, and she and my wife always exchanged long-distance telephone critiques of her team's performance both at halftime and game's end.

Her grasp of the technical side of the game was a bit tentative, but that did not stop dilute her certainty that UConn players never fouled. She also faltered when mastering pronunciation of some names. For example, she exclaimed, "Boy that Bossa Nova can really shoot!" That was about her all time favorite "Russian Girl," Svetlana Abrosimova.

She leaves her signed poster of Geno, a fellow Italian character, to her husband and devoted fan, Lou, 101 years old. He and I watched his wife's team outlast Kansas State on Sunday; we agreed that she would have approved.

Condolences to you & Lou. Your comments about your mother-in-law made me smile as they reminded me of my mom, a devoted Italian-American fan of UConn WBB who passed away a few years back. Now I watch mom's team play with the same devotion that she did.

Reaction Score

Her grasp of the technical side of the game was a bit tentative, but that did not dilute her certainty that UConn players never fouled. She also faltered when mastering pronunciation of some names. For example, she exclaimed, "Boy that Bossa Nova can really shoot!" That was about her all time favorite "Russian Girl," Svetlana Abrosimova.

I'm sorry for your loss.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thanks for your loving description of your mother-in-law's devotion. You make it unique, and yet it strikes a chord with so many of the Husky Nation.

RIP.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm very sorry for your loss. Your mom sounds terrific. Please know you and family are in my thoughts and especially with your dad.

HGN

Reaction Score

Papa , you have my Deepest Sympathy and Condolences on your loss.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Papa,
So sorry for your loss. I can guarantee you there is UCONN basketball in heaven, because only the very best things from earth get to heaven.

Reaction Score

Let me assure you that there is basketball in heaven, which is another name for indiana

Reaction Score

Condolences and sorrow for your loss.
When Svetie (as Sue calls her) was playing--I spoke directly to the Pep Band and asked them to play BLAME IT ON THE BOSSA NOVA--and I offered, now forgotten words. No it was not played!
I can tell you this---If there is no Women's basketball in heaven----I ain't going!!! Let's end that argument here and now!!

Reaction Score
Let me assure you that there is basketball in heaven, which is another name for indiana
I was pleased and thrilled to spend a lot of time in Indiana--where everyone was have carried a BB under each arm, Every school had a championship team---I came from a really hick town in Ct---during the fall and Winter--basketball was king---schools couldn't afford the football expenditures--so for the time--Ct BB fever exceeded anything in Indiana, Louisville (southern Indiana) to Indianapolis But I'd be the last one to call Ct heaven!!

Reaction Score
My condolences with you and Lou.
Evelyn must be in Heaven as an angel now.

Reaction Score
RIP. There is, we just aren't sure who the Coach is.

There is a time to move on for all, and this was hers. She moved with UConn #1, the Bossa Nova having been in the house recently, Geno and his staff at their finest, and wearing shades because the future is SOOOO bright.

The best time to be a Husky fan.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Condolences to you; there is no substitute for loyalty as it is a most admirable trait.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Sympathies to you.

Love the story - being elderly doesn't seem to diminish love of sports. The oldest I remember coming to RU games was well north of 90, but no where near approaching 100. We had a married couple of well known, involved with RU, long time financial supporters who were making RU games into their early 90's as well - with the husband driving in the snow storms, no less.

My hope for all of us is, should we be blessed with such long life, that we have an interest that keeps us engaged as we get near those ages. Until her dementia hit in her early to mid 90's (now 97) my Mom followed the Yankees the way you describe your Mom-in-Law.

Reaction Score
Very sorry to hear news like this, but what a wonderful woman and dedicated fan...! RIP, and you are so blessed and fortunate to have known her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom