UConn: Cancelling 2020 Season An Option? (Updated 8/5 to yes) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn: Cancelling 2020 Season An Option? (Updated 8/5 to yes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
The right move but a damn shame. They could have made the independent thing work but now another road block. We'll have to see what 2021 brings, I guess.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
ESPN still covers sports and decided we are still news

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It was the right decision based on all the P5 games being cancelled and not solely because of player health. Trying to piece meal a real schedule without opportunities to play local P5 schools wasn't doable.

Reaction Score
Nothing about the possibility of a spring schedule. That is the only disappointing thing. We all knew the fall season was toast anyway. The only possible move. But a spring season would have been nice.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Nothing about the possibility of a spring schedule. That is the only disappointing thing. We all knew the fall season was toast anyway. The only possible move. But a spring season would have been nice.
It does seem like it’s fall or bust. The only way to have a spring season is for the P5 to cancel fall and then announce with their media partners that they are developing an abbreviated spring season. A spring season only happens if it’s lead by the P5.

Reaction Score
Disappointing but logical. I was looking forward to going to Oxford to see them play Mississippi but that was previously cancelled.

Reaction Score
Agree that this was going to happen. Once we lost 4 games right off the hop it was done. Basketball will follow similar path - 1) We will have a season 2) ok maybe after Jan. 1st and conf only 3) cancel - see you in fall 2021 (maybe)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
players health is all that should matter.

I never said it shouldn't matter, nor did I say it shouldn't be the #1 priority.

I said it became much easier to make the morally and ethically correct decision when any other good option has been removed from you by external factors.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
So if football season gets cancelled what about basketball???
The availability and effectiveness of a vaccine is, potentially, a game changer.
I have a friend that works for TMH-EMS. My recent understanding is the Innovation Park on-campus lab isn’t operational quite yet and they (UHS) are still using an outside lab (IRL) to run the tests currently... did he pass along bad/stale info?

No doubt when the lab is up and running it will make a big difference in being able to prioritize athlete samples above others in the University community for quickest turnaround.
Any idea what the timeline is for having it up and running?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

Of course it has to follow the trend of every article ever written about UConn in the past 5 years by saying that it might be time to close up shop for UConn football. Ignore that and the rest says some decent info like part from players.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

And there it is...

Hopefully, the athletic department is bright enough to frame it properly. I would have Randy do a presser with the captains and say “ Look, I have an obligation to these young men, and all of their teammates. We want to play. We want to compete. But if I can’t promise that it can be done safely, I am not putting their lives in jeopardy even for the game that we all love. We are going to do the things we need to do to prepare for the 2021 season and we are going to be back stronger than ever.”

Edit: I just read the players statement and it pretty much is spot on.

Reaction Score

Of course it has to follow the trend of every article ever written about UConn in the past 5 years by saying that it might be time to close up shop for UConn football. Ignore that and the rest says some decent info like part from players.
Look, I don't want you guys to drop football; as a Temple fan, it would behoove both of our teams if you could get back to the 8-4 level so we each have a quality opponent for a bus trip game. But it's a fair question to ask right now, given all the circumstances.

Reaction Score
I wrote last week that I didn’t want UConn to be the first. Now I’m proud that we are. Other schools talking about player safety being paramount. UConn put their money where their mouth is. Right thing to do and it will play well in the living rooms of recruits. Plus involving the players in the decision is as big a culture builder as you’ll ever have.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Huskyrob1 forgot to share his stats with them. This sucks but by no means unexpected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom