UConn: Cancelling 2020 Season An Option? (Updated 8/5 to yes) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn: Cancelling 2020 Season An Option? (Updated 8/5 to yes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I’m aware of how precise RT-PCR is, I run them almost daily. Every test has a limit of detection, even PCR.
Edit- also don’t wanna be that guy, but COVID is caused by an RNA virus, so you aren’t testing for the presence of its DNA, you’re testing for its RNA via the presence of cDNA.
What exactly does that mean in layman’s terms

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
What exactly does that mean in layman’s terms
You can be infected with Covid, but not have enough viral particles in your body to meet the threshold of detection for the machine so you would generate a false negative. PCR works by looking at the number of copies of RNA for a gene that’s present in a sample by converting it via a reaction to its complimentary DNA strand, but if there’s not enough viral RNA present the machine might give an undetectable readout. I was just being a semantic jackass with the RNA/DNA comment.

Reaction Score
Why 10 days to get a test back?

I can see some program's problems with the season if they have that length of test lag...
How come it only takes about 4 hours for the results to be known where I live?

Reaction Score
Not cheap...but FSU, at least, will be testing 130 folks weekly with same and next day returns....the answer is setting up PCR machines and lab on campus.
What is FSU'S plan? Do they have a lab on campus that can deliver same or next day results on PCR tests? Thanks.

Reaction Score
If they are sure that there will be outbreaks on every team in the SEC, then the fall season should be moved to spring right now.

Reaction Score
If they are sure that there will be outbreaks on every team in the SEC, then the fall season should be moved to spring right now.
Football in spring will never happen season would just be cancelled and it won’t be because of the $$$$ involved for power five!

Reaction Score
What is FSU'S plan? Do they have a lab on campus that can deliver same or next day results on PCR tests? Thanks.

YES....

“We have two primary objectives that are guiding this,” Ostrander said. “One is incredibly high accuracy. Everything is set up to optimize accuracy. The second objective is we need to be able to turn around results in 8-24 hours.”

This is also critical as FSU returns athletes in basketball as well as other fall sports. Testing can be done in-house, ensuring a quicker turnaround.

Reaction Score

YES....

“We have two primary objectives that are guiding this,” Ostrander said. “One is incredibly high accuracy. Everything is set up to optimize accuracy. The second objective is we need to be able to turn around results in 8-24 hours.”

This is also critical as FSU returns athletes in basketball as well as other fall sports. Testing can be done in-house, ensuring a quicker turnaround.

I have a friend that works for TMH-EMS. My recent understanding is the Innovation Park on-campus lab isn’t operational quite yet and they (UHS) are still using an outside lab (IRL) to run the tests currently... did he pass along bad/stale info?

No doubt when the lab is up and running it will make a big difference in being able to prioritize athlete samples above others in the University community for quickest turnaround.

Reaction Score
Good read ->
>>“We have a unique situation here at the academy in which our [student-athletes] are truly locked in,” he said.

Niumatalolo seconded that assessment: “Being on a military installation helps; Our campus is surrounded by a wall with gates and guards. Here, the bubble is literal.”<<

Reaction Score
I have a friend that works for TMH-EMS. My recent understanding is the Innovation Park on-campus lab isn’t operational quite yet and they (UHS) are still using an outside lab (IRL) to run the tests currently... did he pass along bad/stale info?

No doubt when the lab is up and running it will make a big difference in being able to prioritize athlete samples above others in the University community for quickest turnaround.

Husky...Since I am not at my Tallahassee home (in North Carolina), I can't verify...but I know that it was planned to be up and running....

The VP of Research...Gary Ostrander, had said it would be up and running when interviewed mid June....he said until then...

Dated June 18...

Staff from Tallahassee Memorial Healthcare will be conducting the testing, with assistance from FSU personnel.
Ostrander said while nearly all COVID-19 testing is analyzed outside of the area, results could be expected within 24 hours.

Those tested will get results by accessing a secure university portal, rather than being notified by text messaging or emails.

“Our best option was for us to utilize our own lab,” FSU President John Thrasher said. “This will have it under our control.”

By the by...TMH folks are the best....35 years ago, I got a call that my wife had been taken to the hospital from work....she was 8 months pregnant and it turned out that the placenta had torn loose...I rushed in and was informed that she had considerable internal bleeding and that she was having emergency surgery...they said that the fetal heartrate was seriously depressed but that they would do their best....everything did turn out...the boy was 4 plus pounds and turned out to be fine...they had assembled a crackerjack team on the spot...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How about we be viewed as the school that put its student athletes ahead of $$$$$$$$.... wouldn't that be novel
If we cancelled it would be putting $$$ ahead of athletes. Any athlete worth his salt wants to play.

Reaction Score
Yeah but don’t they have the freedom to schedule new opponents?
As far as I’ve seen/remember - only JMU (CAA) and maybe Robert Morris (NEC) have indicated they may pursue an independent schedule. Everyone else has indicated they are done for the fall but a few would consider a spring season.

Reaction Score
Too much incentive for UConn to cancel the fall season....

....uncertainty of Corvid impact and dangers
....scheduling would be difficult...a scramble
....testing not thought out yet

Better to stand back and say "we care about the athlete" and be above the fray...

Reaction Score
Too much incentive for UConn to cancel the fall season....

....uncertainty of Corvid impact and dangers
....scheduling would be difficult...a scramble
....testing not thought out yet

Better to stand back and say "we care about the athlete" and be above the fray...
“Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold.”
— Helen Keller

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
College Football's scheduling approach is a runaway freight train to disaster. The P5 schools keeping their existing schedules because of the TV money is so staggeringly reckless and irresponsible that they are legally negligent on their face. It would take one COVID death for an athletic department to be sued into oblivion.

The smart play for UConn may be to take this season off and then see what is left of college football next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom