UConn: Cancelling 2020 Season An Option? (Updated 8/5 to yes) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn: Cancelling 2020 Season An Option? (Updated 8/5 to yes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Challenges exist (not insurmountable but steep challenges nonetheless). Obviously a very recent conversation.

UVa football: Cavaliers' shuffled schedule includes challenging road tests

>>The coach of the other September home opponent is skeptical his team will still be making its trip to Charlottesville.

“Oh, man, what a mess,” UConn head football coach Randy Edsall said Wednesday. “The problem [for us] is, the state of Virginia is on a list; if we went down there, we’d have to quarantine if we go and come back.”

Connecticut athletic director David Benedict received an email Wednesday from Virginia administrator Jim Booz that listed requirements with which UConn would have to concur before playing at UVa.

“Right now, they can’t even tell you when you’re going to play,” said Edsall, noting that the original date was no longer set.

“Are we going to be able to shower in there? We can’t even use our own locker room in [Connecticut] right now. Every state is different in terms of what you can do right now.“We knew this was coming down the pike.”

When one of Connecticut’s players had COVID-19 symptoms, seven players who had been in his vicinity were quarantined. “It’s taken 10 days to get a test back now,” Edsall said. “We had a walk-through out there the other day, and we had eight offensive linemen. You can’t even practice with eight offensive linemen. It’s taking 10 to 12 days to get a test back right now.

“I don’t know what’s going to happen [as far as a season], but I don’t see it. Right now, they’re not giving dates out. How do you prepare for anything like that?”<<

Reaction Score
FIFY.
The facts! You can’t get straight facts. Someone show us the numbers on the increased number of young people infected. What percentage have a serious case? What percentage have been hospitalized? What percentage of the death toll is under age 25?

Reaction Score
The facts! You can’t get straight facts. Someone show us the numbers on the increased number of young people infected.

I can't hear you.jpg

Reaction Score
View attachment 57138
Only tells us positive test! No information on how serious. No stats on hospitalization of that group if any.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
Would love more transparency.

Less than 75 people hospitalized daily for the past 30+ days in CT. How may are less than 40? How many without extenuating circumstances?

Take away the 2997+ deaths in in nursing homes March/April/May and the numbers for seniors look significantly different. Fear is being sold............for out own good.....I guess.

Students will not be allowed to socialize or attend classes any way. Get the football players in one dorm & they are effectively quarantined. The only difference is they make 5-6 road trips and play 10-11 3 hour games.

Reaction Score
View attachment 57138
Pretty obvious why. For people my age it can be a death sentence. For those age groups not so much.

Reaction Score
An abbreviated spring season sounds pretty good at this point. Should have a decent vaccine by then. March, April, May with bye weeks between each game? Six games? Can't cancel the season entirely folks. Need to play SOME games.

Reaction Score
Pretty obvious why. For people my age it can be a death sentence. For those age groups not so much.
Well, till they nail down what the long term effects of contracting the virus are (remember we are only 7 or so months into the pathology of this coronavirus), it would seem whether it’s ultimately a short term or long term “death sentence” is presently unknown.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Here are the facts from the newest numbers in USA Today.

I looked for more numbers for under 24 which would be most college players unless it is BYU or Utah

1596164752765.png

Reaction Score
Assume those are deaths. But to the previous point it can leave long term damage. Gotta think that mandatory vacination for thosr wanting to play will solve that problem in the spring.

Reaction Score
Just because it's not deadly or potentially serious for a young person doesn't mean they can trot out and play football if confirmed to be infected. They'd pass it along to others, including those who are more vulnerable.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
You're actually comparing the health of human beings and the risk of contributing to a public health crisis to the fear that fans of other programs will blame us for something? I'm speechless.
Plus the football program needs no help tarnishing itself. It happens every saturday.

Reaction Score
Assume those are deaths. But to the previous point it can leave long term damage. Gotta think that mandatory vacination for thosr wanting to play will solve that problem in the spring.
So we don’t play and players go about their life outside football! Go to a party, BLM rally or just to class and contract covid 19! So how did we protect them.

Reaction Score
CAA suspended football season but allowing members to seek independent scheduling. URI Maine Delaware UNH not playing. JMU wants to play.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Trust me, they will use it to tarnish our football program. Fans of other programs will blame us when P5 schools start reversing course and cancelling. We should at least play a handful of games against independents or other schools that need a game.
Sorry but this epitomized what is wrong with this whole country. We shouldn't shut down football to prevent spreading COVID more because it might lead to P5 programs making the safe call and shutting down thus preventing more spread across all parts of this country. Yet let's not do it because we don't want to get that negative press for being the cause for ending the sport for the fall. I'd rather be that school that stopped it from happening for being proactive instead of stopping it because one of our athletes died from catching COVID. Don't tell me it's overreacting saying someone will die because the percentage is so low. Last I checked, it's not 0% so someone will die and it can be prevented.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So far...the programs that have announced cancelling seasons are primarily also the programs with lesser football programs....

If covid goes on into the winter and some conferences start cancelling the basketball season...different oxen get gored... the goose and gander are then different (love hashed up analogies).

I wonder if the Big East would be among the first to step out and cancel the season.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
So far...the programs that have announced cancelling seasons are primarily also the programs with lesser football programs....
Yeah you know why right? Its the obvious elephant in the room and its not pride and toughness (hint $$$$$).

Reaction Score

If covid goes on into the winter and some conferences start cancelling the basketball season...different oxen get gored... the goose and gander are then different (love hashed up analogies).

I wonder if the Big East would be among the first to step out and cancel the season.

Big time college athletics is driven by greed and that includes football and basketball. There might be more money in football, but it's the same greed.

What has been so disheartening for me in all of this is the lack of leadership in so many places. You can make a reasonable stand on either side of this argument, but at some point you need to make decisions, communicate them and move forward.

Reaction Score
Sorry but this epitomized what is wrong with this whole country. We shouldn't shut down football to prevent spreading COVID more because it might lead to P5 programs making the safe call and shutting down thus preventing more spread across all parts of this country. Yet let's not do it because we don't want to get that negative press for being the cause for ending the sport for the fall. I'd rather be that school that stopped it from happening for being proactive instead of stopping it because one of our athletes died from catching COVID. Don't tell me it's overreacting saying someone will die because the percentage is so low. Last I checked, it's not 0% so someone will die and it can be prevented.
Football players ( and other sports) die every year during the season from undiagnosed health issue so we should just do away with sports entirely.

Reaction Score
Football players ( and other sports) die every year during the season from undiagnosed health issue so we should just do away with sports entirely.

is this serious?

I am assuming you are okay with a few deaths among football players who contract corona virus? Because you do realize there are a ton of 300+ pound linemen that play football? You know, high risk individuals?

You might be but I’m not cool with kids dying to play a game for my entertainment.

But you do you. Merica, amirite?

Reaction Score
Yeah you know why right? Its the obvious elephant in the room and its not pride and toughness (hint $$$$$).

Sooo...if covid is around for basketball...will the Big East cancel? It is tougher to cancel the primary sport...$$$$ or not.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Sooo...if covid is around for basketball...will the Big East cancel? It is tougher to cancel the primary sport...$$$$ or not.
IDK and what is your point anyway? Its obvious $$$ is driving the football decisions. And yes money in basketball (albeit modest) is likely to cause the BE administration to work harder to save it, no different than P5 football (except the financial stakes are smaller).

A lot could change between now and 11/1. My guess is that first opt to cancel non conf games in Nov/Dec and look to do an all conf schedule in Jan/Feb/March. We'll see. It is likely the debate in December will be about vaccines; particularly vaccine safety and efficacy of the vaccine offerings (seasonal vaccine like the flu, permanent like chicken pox or something in between?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom