UConn can’t catch a break | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn can’t catch a break

Reaction Score
One thing I'm worried about is fatigue with this being the first game back from the holiday, the weather and traveling now being short on players is a big deal. I thought the Maryland game UConn did enough to win it was just they ran out of gas.

Reaction Score
Turnovers could manifest in these scenarios also. Lord knows UConn has enough of those up to this point. I said it in another thread, I expect Creighton to toss up at least 30-35 three point shots. If they start making them, could be a long night for UConn. They don't guard the three line at all.

Reaction Score
That has been a recurring problem- the scheduling. This is a prime example. You got one day of practice then the plane then the game. With Md and ND it was a Friday game before, then a plane on Saturday then the games against them on Sunday on national TV against a ranked and rabid team. It is very poor planning in my view. It's not like this was a hidden obstacle either. Creighton is going to be out for blood at home.

Reaction Score
That has been a recurring problem- the scheduling. This is a prime example. You got one day of practice then the plane then the game. With Md and ND it was a Friday game before, then a plane on Saturday then the games against them on Sunday on national TV against a ranked and rabid team. It is very poor planning in my view. It's not like this was a hidden obstacle either. Creighton is going to be out for blood at home.
Definitely. They have lost 3 of last 4 I think.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Opponents are always “out for UConn’s blood”. It’s been like that for decades.

Reaction Score
Nika
Ines
Lou
Caroline
Dorka
Ayanna
Aaliyah

I hope that Amari makes it safe to Omaha. But if she cannot get a flight there in time for the game, it likes won't matter too much. She doesn't get much playing time in close games. Hoping that will change.

Reaction Score
Losing Aubrey is a BIG deal. More so because we are already shorthanded. To offset this, it’s up to Caroline to play well and to play a lot of minutes. If Edwards, Lou, Nika, Dorka and Caroline plays at the top of their game, it should be enough. Ines and Ayanna may need to be ready to give them breathers. We have enough.
Let's be real, folks. If we only play six, and one of those six is not Aubrey or Azzi, we aren't going to win.

Reaction Score
Let's be real, folks. If we only play six, and one of those six is not Aubrey or Azzi, we aren't going to win.
What is more important is that all players who play are able to play the next game at full strength.

The Huskies are still in learning mode with full effort by each player on the court, which will pay off in March - regardless of whom they play then when all teams effectively have the same schedules at tournament time on their side of the bracket.

Take a deep breath! Let it out... keep breathing!

Reaction Score
It’s a regular seasonal n game in January. It’s not life or death. Roll the ball out on the court and let’s see what happens. It’s not like UConn is not going to make the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
Opponents are always “out for UConn’s blood”. It’s been like that for decades.
For sure. I only meant to highlight the nature of the game and scheduling against a team that went to the Elite 8 last year. They are undersized though and Ayanna may be a huge impact player tonight.

Reaction Score
People people people. It’s still December. Illness and injury means more minutes for players who would normally see very few. “What doesn’t kill you, makes you stronger. Forget the wins and losses. Look to the future..March and April. It’s all good.

One good thing about retirement. Happy Hour is very flexible.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
For sure. I only meant to highlight the nature of the game and scheduling against a team that went to the Elite 8 last year. They are undersized though and Ayanna may be a huge impact player tonight.
UConn did not schedule the game, the Big East did. The only input they gave the Big East was their OOC schedule.

Reaction Score
Guess ya could've moved Christmas to accommodate a damn basketball game

Reaction Score
Dang. Well, whoever we got to suit up, that is who we will have on the court at some point in the game.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
That’s because this is not true.
The Big East schedule is done by the conference, each team submits their OOC schedule to them and then the schedule is worked around the teams schedules. That is why the conference schedule is always published after teams have finished their OOC scheduling.

sun

Reaction Score
Even though Amari did miss a practice, if she makes it to the game then I hope that she gets to play.
Not only did UConn need to pay for a commercial plane ticket to get her to the game, but she's been blocking shots at about the same rate per minutes played as Dorka.
She's been contributing with a good defensive presence.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
How many players played last year? I’m not saying tonight will see the same result, I’m saying that Geno has had some great wins with a short bench before

EAF90BA9-23A6-4B3F-BA14-D2800238FFF4.jpeg

Reaction Score
The Big East schedule is done by the conference, each team submits their OOC schedule to them and then the schedule is worked around the teams schedules. That is why the conference schedule is always published after teams have finished their OOC scheduling.
Absolutely false. I work at a big East athletics department. The AD had a tone of input because we have to book arenas and balance all the other winter sports team and sometimes professional sports teams schedules if the teams play in a pro sports arena. The Big East doesn’t come back to teams with their finalized schedule, it’s months of back and forth of available dates and times.

Reaction Score
What I remember from that game wasn't TOs, though we had 15, but loose balls. It seemed like Creighton beat us to every loose ball in the first 15 minutes or so. Plus they shot well over that same stretch and we didn't. Toward the end of the 2nd quarter, we started hitting shots and seemed to have a bit more energy. We came out in the 3rd quarter and shut them down on offense and went on a big run of unanswered baskets, and then in the 4th quarter we just shot lights out and Creighton was out of gas.

I expect something similar tonight. They'll come out with maximum effort and energy, and we'll rout them in the second half.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Absolutely false. I work at a big East athletics department. The AD had a tone of input because we have to book arenas and balance all the other winter sports team and sometimes professional sports teams schedules if the teams play in a pro sports arena. The Big East doesn’t come back to teams with their finalized schedule, it’s months of back and forth of available dates and times.
So who does the final schedule, the teams or the Big East? The way you put it, the Big East does it, with the help of the teams. My version is just the same as yours, without the little things. The final scheduling is still done by the Big East. So it is not absolutely false.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom