UCONN - Butler Postgame thread [merged] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN - Butler Postgame thread [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
This is not a post to discuss the "when will (enter player's name here) be cleared to play?" but it was stated that Ayanna was not available today. But it looked to me like she was in her uniform and not in warmups. First, did I see correctly and second, if she was, why would that be.

Another good team win with Amari and Inês playing 15 or so minutes each. This has to help out the starter a little bit.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This is not a post to discuss the "when will (enter player's name here) be cleared to play?" but it was stated that Ayanna was not available today. But it looked to me like she was in her uniform and not in warmups. First, did I see correctly and second, if she was, why would that be.

Another good team win with Amari and Inês playing 15 or so minutes each. This has to help out the starter a little bit.
I assume that Ayanna took part in warmups with the team, but was ruled out by the training staff.

Reaction Score
Lou showed what a complete player she is. Assists, rebounds, scoring, even when her 3 is off. I say it every game - SO thankful we have her.
A lot of deserved praise for Lou in this thread. Does anyone think she deserves consideration for a 10 person All-American team? We know that pre-season hype means a lot in determining the eventual team and Lou certainly had none. If Paige or Azzi had the same stats and meant as much to a top 5 team they would almost certainly be on an All-American team. I think AE is definitely playing at an AA level.

Reaction Score
Good solid game for the whole team. I liked the defensive effort, keeping up with the Butler players, through screens and switches. Offense flowed more smoothly. Players were taking care of the ball, making wise decisions. It seemed from the substitution pattern that Geno wanted to mix up the squad to see how they'd perform. Some inconsistency, some hesitancy with shots/passes, but that's why you do it. Get everyone involved with game experience. You need the next woman up mentality, especially the way the season has progressed, and with upcoming battles with UTN and SC.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A lot of deserved praise for Lou in this thread. Does anyone think she deserves consideration for a 10 person All-American team? We know that pre-season hype means a lot in determining the eventual team and Lou certainly had none. If Paige or Azzi had the same stats and meant as much to a top 5 team they would almost certainly be on an All-American team. I think AE is definitely playing at an AA level.
Interesting question. Honestly, I think you can make a case for any one of UConn’s starting 5 for some type of AA honors, starting with Aaliyah. But as you point out, Lou is having an AA season of her own. It’s too bad there isn’t an MVT award (Most Valuable Transfer). Lou would win that award hands down.

Reaction Score
These Big East teams might not have the talent that we do but they have great coaches. Butler was very prepared defensively to stop us in the first quarter. Lou fought us out of the frustration that our offense was not freeing us for easy shots. Our defense as usual was very strong. When we go big with Aaliyah, Dorka and Amari none of the players seem to want to drive against us as we similar imposing as South Carolina. Best move by a UConn personal was the Geno Jiggle.

Reaction Score
And the Tram, too, though? I live near Albuquerque and we have a famous Tramway up the local mountain. We like to say, "The Tram must prevail." It's like a local saying. :rolleyes:
Sandia Peak? It’s magnificent.

Reaction Score
Interesting question. Honestly, I think you can make a case for any one of UConn’s starting 5 for some type of AA honors, starting with Aaliyah. But as you point out, Lou is having an AA season of her own. It’s too bad there isn’t an MVT award (Most Valuable Transfer). Lou would win that award hands down.
I think Aaliyah will be first team AA, Lou will be second or third team AA...and Dorka might make second or third AA too.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
All I can say is , everyone is regaling in Lou Lopez Senechal and I would like to add, thank God for Aubrey Griffin. I really don't like thinking what this team after all the injuries would have been without them. With Aaliyah's resurgence in scoring and rebounding and Nika's assists and scoring and Dorka's great play over-all , adding Lou and Aubrey was the magic mix that made this team what it is now. Tennessee will be a challenge , but the tram will prevail. GO HUSKIES!!!!
I echo your sentiments. I would also add a "shout out" to the doctors and surgeons that treated Aubrey for her back condition, got her back on her feet; and helped return her to glory. ;)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Even though LLS will wear a UConn uniform for one season, in my mind she has UConn blood running though her veins. I will be a fan of hers for life.

Lou could have scored 30 today, just like Aaliyah and Aubrey could as well, but the team mentality and unselfishness will always preclude individual glory, especially for our United Nations starting five.

When Geno's half-time comments were relayed to Lou, she replied, "Merci beaucoup, je suis un baller."

Lastly, who doesn't love to see Amari smile. She seems like such a great kid and teammate.
Lou has made lots of fans for life. LLS was a Husky for one year when we needed her most!!! With what we have coming in, and who we have coming back next year, UConn will be fine. Absolutely no problem at the shooting guard position next year. ;)

Reaction Score
Solid win today. I was concerned about a relapse to sluggishness in the first quarter. We played well in the second and third quarters. In the fourth, it looked like we were trying a few new things on offense and were not quite getting there.

Defense was solid for the most part. After the many early turnovers, we started handling the ball better.

Lou got us going initially and the others got lifted by that energy. Aaliyah had a solid game. Aubrey got better as the game progressed. Dorka had her moments. We did get our rebounds, though given the height advantage we sho have had more offensive rebounds.

As we look ahead to taking on tougher teams, we need to be tougher down low and hesitate less on shooting when players are open on the outside. There could also be more high-low and inside-outside action.

I am looking forward to Ayanna coming back very soon. Hope Caroline and Azzi are progressing too.

Reaction Score
I didn't see the Butler game yet but its great that BYers are acknowledging Lou's value to the team. Her unselfishness plus her shooting excellence has kept us afloat. She may lead us to the next nattie.

Reaction Score
I love Lou and share everyone's enthusiasm for her value to the Huskies (even Geno's eye-popping MVP comment today). Yet to me Lou's post-season awards prospects are likely Big East. I have Aaliyah and Dorka both clearly ahead of Lou for all-anything honors, even as Lou has been such a huge find for UConn this season.

As for All-American, Aaliyah should be a good bet for a 10-person first team A-A, and Dorka might make 2nd team. There are just too many players with the scoring stats of Lou, most of whom also contribute more with rebounds and assists, all around the country.

As for MVT, Oldude, ha, I'm with you for the Big East. As for nationally, even though its schedule has been weak, LSU happens to have a transfer who's averaging 24, 16 and 4, one who'll surely be first-team A-A.

Reaction Score
When we won the game in the first half, it was Lou that led in points, rebounds and assists. She also did a good job on defense. Even though SNY gave the most valuable to AE, I think it should have been Lou. But, it was a team effort and all the starters did something that was critical to the team win. Was disappointed in the start offensively, but even though Butler scored 1/3 of its points in the first quarter, the defense was consistently good (and great in the second quarter).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom