UConn - Butler Post Game Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn - Butler Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One additional comment about Ashlynn. I have never seen a WBB player who’s better at squaring up to the basket (maybe Azzi?). Many 3-pt shooters need to be squared up when they catch the ball, hence the concept of “catch and shoot.” No matter where she is on the floor, either wing, the top of the key, midrange or at the arc, whether off the dribble or catching a pass, Ashlynn quickly squares up to the target, focuses on the front of the rim and lets it fly.

On UConn’s first basket of the game, Ashlynn received a pass moving away from the basket on the right baseline where she immediately spun around to square herself to the basket to bury a 15’ jumper. There was another shot she hit on a fast break on the right wing. After catching a pass, I thought she would take the ball to the basket or, at a minimum, shoot a bank shot. But once again, Ashlynn pulled up and nailed a 15’ jumper. That’s not an easy shot to make when you don’t use the backboard.

Reaction Score
One additional comment about Ashlynn. I have never seen a WBB player who’s better at squaring up to the basket (maybe Azzi?). Many 3-pt shooters need to be squared up when they catch the ball, hence the concept of “catch and shoot.” No matter where she is on the floor, either wing, the top of the key, midrange or at the arc, whether off the dribble or catching a pass, Ashlynn quickly squares up to the target, focuses on the front of the rim and lets it fly.

On UConn’s first basket of the game, Ashlynn received a pass moving away from the basket on the right baseline where she immediately spun around to square herself to the basket to bury a 15’ jumper. There was another shot she hit on a fast break on the right wing. After catching a pass, I thought she would take the ball to the basket or, at a minimum, shoot a bank shot. But once again, Ashlynn pulled up and nailed a 15’ jumper. That’s not an easy shot to make when you don’t use the backboard.
Well said, Oldude. We're blessed as UConn fans to be seeing just the tip of the iceberg as far as the shots Ashlynn will bury for the Huskies. Clips of her pre-UConn action are chock full of those... and it's a tough shot to defend because she stops on a dime and gets it off such that defenders would typically foul her trying to stop the shot.

As others have said here (and I'm sure Geno has thought), if KK can come even close to matching Ashlynn's short-range shooting skills, the Huskies will be a mighty dangerous team for the next several seasons.

Reaction Score
As for the pieces that Geno was looking for with all the injuries, it looks like he has found some.
Nika will not be on top of the halfcourt offense, she will be more of weakside wing, a la Caroline. As she keeps hitting those wide open threes, as she has been doing. Teams will have to start paying more attention to her.
Ashlynn will be more of the Azzi piece. She showed in the last few games that her offense is very well rounded. Quick three's, driving to the basket, but what's most impressive is her pull ups and mid-range; she has been lights out on 2's
Where to improve?
KK making better decisions with her speed, AE kicking out when doubled, and Paige being more aggressive looking for her shot.
Excellent analysis, my2cents.:cool:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Re Ines: Based on what she showed last year, I think she could provide quality minutes this year at nearly the level of the current freshmen. However, their ceiling is a lot higher than hers, and there is a reasonable chance that they (especially KK and Ashlynn) will reach that potential by the end of this season. So it makes sense for Geno to give them the minutes, to help them get to or near their ceiling as soon as possible.

Having said that, I won't be surprised if Nika sits out the game in Toronto if she is still "under the weather", and if she does, that will open up some non-garbage-time minutes for Ines. We may see her in action tomorrow evening.

Reaction Score
Paige is so efficient on offense. She gets her points without shooting 20 times and her assist to TO ration was off the charts too. She is doing a great job of leading this team and making those around her better players. Funny thing is that Nika seems to be the best spot up 3 point shooter on the team which means value outside of defense for her. Ice has a few shots fall so she has something to build off in the next game. She needs to build her game inside out and I think she will be fine and she certainly will be needed.
I have to disagree with you about Nika being the best spot up 3 pt shooter. That still would be Paige. The difference is that no team in their right mind would allow Paige an open look. Yes, Paige is efficient, but I'd sacrifice a few points on her efficiency %, for an offsetting increase in aggressiveness on her part. While it is safe to defer to others against most Big East teams, her passive starts against top teams will likely put UConn in a hole. After awhile, it's apparent to everyone that Paige hasn't attempted a shot, so when she does, she looks compelled to shoot rather than letting come in the flow of the game.

I love that Shade is fearless and that Nika is shooting more. However, when your best shooter is only taking the 3rd most 3-pt shots in a game, something is amiss. Clearly, Geno has given the green light to a couple of players, which is great, I just wish Paige would flash the green light on herself.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I have to disagree with you about Nika being the best spot up 3 pt shooter. That still would be Paige. The difference is that no team in their right mind would allow Paige an open look. Yes, Paige is efficient, but I'd sacrifice a few points on her efficiency %, for an offsetting increase in aggressiveness on her part. While it is safe to defer to others against most Big East teams, her passive starts against top teams will likely put UConn in a hole. After awhile, it's apparent to everyone that Paige hasn't attempted a shot, so when she does, she looks compelled to shoot rather than letting come in the flow of the game.

I love that Shade is fearless and that Nika is shooting more. However, when your best shooter is only taking the 3rd most 3-pt shots in a game, something is amiss. Clearly, Geno has given the green light to a couple of players, which is great, I just wish Paige would flash the green light on herself.
Have you seen Paige pass up an open 3-point attempt this season? I think that may have happened once or twice at most. It doesn't make sense for her to take heavily contested 3's when she has the skill to pass to teammates who can make them, or who can score in the paint.

Reaction Score
Re Ines: Based on what she showed last year, I think she could provide quality minutes this year at nearly the level of the current freshmen. However, their ceiling is a lot higher than hers, and there is a reasonable chance that they (especially KK and Ashlynn) will reach that potential by the end of this season. So it makes sense for Geno to give them the minutes, to help them get to or near their ceiling as soon as possible.

Having said that, I won't be surprised if Nika sits out the game in Toronto if she is still "under the weather", and if she does, that will open up some non-garbage-time minutes for Ines. We may see her in action tomorrow evening.

With all respect for Ines, I think saying she could be "nearly the level" of KK and Ashylnn is kind of disrespectful to how good they've been.

Reaction Score
Hopefully Nika will feel much better today and in coming days. Dehydration's often the culprit with those 'stomach bug' symptoms.

She played hard and shot the three well, so I think it's pretty safe to say she didn't/doesn't have the flu. If she did, I'm pretty certain she'd be back on campus in bed rather than hanging around with her teammates and coaches.

That said, kudos to Nika for her effort while feeling sub-par.
Wow, is this a new, improved Deacon (typed in a nice way)? Sometimes a stomach ailment is described as a "stomach flu". Certainly not the type of flu that you get an annual shot for. If Nika had that, yes she would be in bed, not running around on the court.

I heard on the radio today that the latest strain of Covid manifests itself as a stomach ailment in some people. I hope it's just a common bug for Nika.

Reaction Score
Ice took a big step forward last night. I think a couple games vs teams like Butler and Toronto Metropolitan are good to rebuild her confidence before the team plays a couple ranked teams (Marquette and Creighton).
Agree. I still think the major issues with her are her conditioning and game experience at this level. She did not play for a year in games and that affects timing and everything else. When she gets better wind out there, and last night was the first time she looked confident, comfortable and fatigue free, there will be even more of an improvement.

Reaction Score
When a team clogs the paint on defense like Butler did, the largest facet of KK’s game is taken away. Perhaps Quadance needs more time and KK less when that happens. Having said that, though, KK was a better matchup defensively.
Having three (3) guards to break presses with Nika moving to shooting guard is a break through for this team. It also give us a lot of defensive speed for fast breaks. At this point in the season, only Griffin and Paige have been mostly successful doing this, but the future is bright with KK improving her finishes. KK had some bogus foul call against her last evening. It almost seems like some refs as calling a different game when it comes to freshmen or somebody like Ice on the court. To KK's credit, she never changed her defensive motor even with four fouls.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Ashlynn Shade does more than shoot well. She's an above average passer. She made two of the best on point passes to AE in the post. She is a consummate bb player. Her defense is above average. Her off ball play is every bit as good as when the ball is in her hands. She sets screens like a senior and because she moves so much it really disrupts opposing teams defenses. Loved her game from the moment I saw her play overseas.

KK is being groomed as the primary ball handler. Biggest responsibility for any team. Similar to Ashlynn she is way ahead of schedule development wise for a freshman. She is a lock down defender. We have four lock down defenders in Ashlynn, Nika, Paige, and KK. KK might be the best of the bunch. When she develops an outside shot look out.

Nike's role in the past was as an on ball guard. She's being asked to play a completely new role as an off ball guard. She will need to improve her off ball screens and movement on the court. We need to be patient because this is a role she has not had to play at UConn in the past. Meanwhile she is an above average catch and shoot 3 point shooter and this is going to really help with spacing in half court sets.

Aaliyah had good stats but her first half play was off. Missed a lot of shots that were makable. Butler exploited her defense. Her player was setting screens at the top of the key and Aaliyah was staying under the basket. We made the adjustment second half where Aaliyah did hedge but a number of points were made in the first half because we did not adjust. Also felt that Aaliyah was not as sharp in setting screens as we normally observe. Very likely distracted with the upcoming Toronto event.

Aubrey is playing more under control and appears to be more confident. Her speed and athleticism have never been in question. Her team play in the half court has significantly improved. Her 3 pt shots have beautiful form and I hope she can get some of the Ashlynn, Q moxie because I would love to see her game time shooting be what we've seen in the 3pt contests of First Night. Need her to come off the bench because she is currently Aaliyah's backup if there is foul trouble.

Paige has returned to pre injury form. While other players are developing and the team is playing well we don't need her to shoot more. She is Ashlynn plus already. She is a winner who does not like losing and understands that the best way to avoid losses is to help other players reach their potential as quickly as possible. Geno has wanted her to be less unselfish in the past. I don't believe this to be the case currently.

This team really needs Ice to develop to make a deep run in the tournament. Ice is beginning to get up to game speed. Her best game to date.

Q is the potential eighth player. Still has not integrated on team defense or offense the way the other two freshman have. Lost her player for an easy back door cut on one play. However she impressed me with boxing out bigger opposing players at least a couple of times under our basket, one for a rebound. She is surprisingly athletic so hopefully she figures things out soon.

Reaction Score
Having three (3) guards to break presses with Nika moving to shooting guard is a break through for this team. It also give us a lot of defensive speed for fast breaks. At this point in the season, only Griffin and Paige have been mostly successful doing this, but the future is bright with KK improving her finishes. KK had some bogus foul call against her last evening. It almost seems like some refs as calling a different game when it comes to freshmen or somebody like Ice on the court. To KK's credit, she never changed her defensive motor even with four fouls.
Yes, the some calls on KK bordered on the absurd, but damn, that girl plays D, and gets into the teeth of her opponent. I rate her defense above Nika's!

Reaction Score
Wow, is this a new, improved Deacon (typed in a nice way)? Sometimes a stomach ailment is described as a "stomach flu". Certainly not the type of flu that you get an annual shot for. If Nika had that, yes she would be in bed, not running around on the court.

I heard on the radio today that the latest strain of Covid manifests itself as a stomach ailment in some people. I hope it's just a common bug for Nika.
Agreed, Skeets, and thanks for your endorsement of whatever improvement I might have made. If continuing to state my mind about Nika or anything else related to the Huskies is considered improvement, well then, that's pretty cool. We all strive to get better, even during our later years.:)

We certainly agree it's important for Nika to be at or closer to 100 percent for Marquette.

Reaction Score
It has been mentioned here, but it bears emphasizing, what a great mid-range game Ashlyn has. So far this season she has taken 28 shots inside the arc, very few of them layups. She has made 21 of them, for a 75% average!
The fake, dribble drive, pull up jumper from the foul line move and in is the missing link in the men's game now. Interesting that Ash is so proficient from inside the arc. Hopefully, she can drive and pull up even more frequently. She looked great doing it last night and with her verticality on her square up, position of the ball in the right hand in the middle of her face and head and her classic release, it is no wonder it is a high percentage shot for her.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Once teams start to concentrate on Ashlynn with her drive and pull up, it should open up either the post player down low or one of the 3 point shooters on the outside. She has the choice of shooting or dishing to whoever is open.

Reaction Score

No, it isn't an easy shot at all but her squared up, vertical position, and her classic and throwback release in the middle of her head and face, plus her fingertip spin, makes it look easy. If she were not starting, this development would probably have been delayed or been protracted. She has become the third scorer we needed. I exclude Aubrey from this description because you can't put her in anything but her own category. Impacting the game as a floor player is a lost art, something Aubrey's father turned into a pro career.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I like that most of the players had a net positive impact. Ashlynn's score is insane. :)
1703017444013.png

Reaction Score
There are 3 reasons why Ash is getting lots of minutes these last few games---Ala Geno, first is defense (Q and Ice get less time because of their D.) Next is the offense--Ash has the quickest release and won't get many shots blocked. She also gets off the floor for the mid-range jumper. Very confident and has other moves to be shown later. Third, she is one of the best overall athletes on the team. Her father developed her strength and stamina to a very high level. Third, Ash has quick feet. She is "Basketball Quick." She stays in front of her man and is in constant motion. She moves up the floor nicely.
Let me finish with a bonus. She is very smart. Right up there at the Paige level (but not equal of course.) Did you notice her pretty assists?
For a smaller guard she is dangerous.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
One of the worst? That's a compliment for her. How about that call on KK?
Agree she's one of the worst. Clearly that's why she gets hired by Coordinators to ref the big games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom