UConn bracing for ‘deep cuts’ to sports and academics | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn bracing for ‘deep cuts’ to sports and academics

Reaction Score
Did anyone see this article from Pat Forde today? Kind of harsh. I hope they're not cutting any sports. But as a mostly men's basketball fan I'm most concerned with that team.

Whatever the number of cut sports turns out to be, here’s what Benedict needs to say to the athletes he is kneecapping at an already traumatic time in their lives: “As a university, and an athletic department, we utterly failed. As the athletic director, I utterly failed. And so did the ADs who preceded me. And you young people are going to take the fall for it.”

Benedict and his predecessors, and everyone in a decison-making capacity at UConn, has perpetrated breathtaking administrative malpractice when it comes to football. They have screwed up in every way imaginable for damn near a decade. They have made terrible hires, agreed to preposterous contracts and frittered away what little cachet UConn football ever had.

Pat Forde needs to take his head out of his butt and realize that this is going to happen all across the country (though I agree with the premise about bad leadership--but that is the case everywhere). The Presidents, BOTs, ADs, etc., have spent a lot of money and they haven't put any of it away just in case. It is malpractice. UConn is far from the only school where this is happening. U Michigan and several other schools are talking about losses of half a billion. Just wait.

Reaction Score
Did anyone see this article from Pat Forde today? Kind of harsh.
ouch. the BE can't be happy that we're cutting sports they actually sponsor in order to try and save one of the worst football programs in history. i'd be pissed if i were Val.

Last edited:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
ouch. the BE can't be happy that we're cutting sports they actually sponsor in order to try and save one of the worst football programs in history. i'd be pissed if i were Val.
Lol does anyone in the Big East sponsor 24 sports.

Reaction Score
Lol does anyone in the Big East sponsor 24 sports.
that's not the point. if we have to cut sports the BE would obviously rather we cut sports they dont sponsor i.e. football and hockey, which dont contribute anything to the conference. but to answer your question i think georgetown and nova both sponsor 24

CL82

Reaction Score
that's not the point. if we have to cut sports the BE would obviously rather we cut sports they dont sponsor i.e. football and hockey, which dont contribute anything to the conference. but to answer your question i think georgetown and nova both sponsor 24
I haven’t checked but that would surprise me. UConn moving closer to the national average is a sensible position.

Reaction Score
UConn moving closer to the national average is a sensible position.
i'm not arguing against that. but for the third time, I am arguing that from the conference's perspective, cutting sports they sponsor in favor of sports they don't, is not sensible.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The reality is every Big East school is going to be cutting sports that the Big East sponsors

Reaction Score

The Big East schools will be lucky to stay open after this.

No conference will be complaining about the actions schools will soon be taking.

I'm afraid we joined a conference with some schools that won't even exist in 15 years.

CL82

Reaction Score
i'm not arguing against that. but for the third time, I am arguing that from the conference's perspective, cutting sports they sponsor in favor of sports they don't, is not sensible.
The biggest understands that we played Division I football. They have placed no obligation to terminate that. Let’s see what UConn decides to cut before we imagined the biggest taking offense to it.

Reaction Score
The Big East schools will be lucky to stay open after this.

No conference will be complaining about the actions schools will soon be taking.

I'm afraid we joined a conference with some schools that won't even exist in 15 years.

Back fill St John’s and Seton Hall with Cincy and Temple.

Reaction Score
Brown Bear football is 5-25 over the last 3 seasons. Absolutley incomprehensible that they're sacrificing track for that dumpster fire.

Waiting on their SI article.
Cripes... they’ll still have 29!

Reaction Score
Brown Bear football is 5-25 over the last 3 seasons. Absolutley incomprehensible that they're sacrificing track for that dumpster fire.

Waiting on their SI article.
perhaps if their football team wasnt associated with their conference in any way, shape, or form, they would just cut it rather than compounding its problems and sacrificing other sports for it

Last edited:
Reaction Score
perhaps if their football team wasnt associated with their conference in any way, shape, or form, they would just cut it rather than compounding its problems and sacrificing other sports for it

last I saw their budget was $8m for sports. They’re fine

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Our problem is the budget of some sports more than the number of sports. We gambled and lost in the idea of a big commitment to football would result in a P-5 birth. And that concept went way beyond football and beyond athletics.
i think it would be gone deaf to not realize it is time for some serious belt tightening.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Not a subscriber, couldn't read it. Any help?

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I played and captained a minor sport at UConn in the mid-1980's (one coach plus assistants shared by both men and women), and have donated specifically to that sport ever since (in addition to seat donations). A Zoom conference has been scheduled by the current coach on Monday. An email was sent to his entire list last week (current and former athlets, and donors). Should be interesting.....sure we'll be asked to open the checkbooks a bit wider....

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orange

Top Bottom