UConn blue blood status | The Boneyard

UConn blue blood status

Reaction Score
When it comes to the talks of whether a school is blue blood, the past narratives have mainly been, can the program sustain success (final 4 or winning NC of course) thru coaching changes over an extended period of time.

Now ponder this: if our Huskies continues this upward trajectory under the helm of Hurley and it’s not too far fetched that we would soon win the chip. When that happens, despite being in the purgatory of conference realignment, UConn has accomplished winning national champs not only with different coaches (JC, KO, DH), but also in different conferences (BE, AAC, NBE)!!! We would be the bluest of blue bloods.

Chills!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
doomed oh no GIF by THE NEXT STEP

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
We're not blue blood, we're never going to be blue blood, I don't want to be blue blood, that's a media coined expression for programs that were best a long time ago. And I can't disrespect the media more than I do

WE'RE BLUE COLLAR

I don't want their overhyped one and done players

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
A few neat things if UConn wins a 'chip in the 2020's.

They would have won championships in the 90's, 00's, 10's and 20's. Not sure how many schools have won championships in four decades or four consecutive decades. Short answer is not many since not many have won 4 or more titles.

Hurley, or whomever the next coach to win a championship at UConn is, will be the third different coach to win a championship at UConn. No one trick pony Husky coach.

For me, you have to respect history of the game but I put a heavy bias on the mid-60's going forward. I don't fully discount the years prior then but I give higher weighting to the most recent 55-60 years.

UCLA is the outlier because they had the most incredible streak and two of the greatest college basketball players of all-time but over the past 45 years hasn't been consistently great or even really good.

I think you break out Kentucky, UCLA and UNC as the top layer.

Duke, Indiana and Kansas are next layer. Sure Kansas has four championships like UConn but they have 16 FF appearances total.

UConn is almost a tier by itself. Four championships but only 5 final fours. Incredibly efficient. And UConn spotted almost all these teams 40 years of history before they became relevant nationally. UConn has 59 wins in the NCAAT which puts it outside the top 10 all-time for wins.

Bottom line for me is UConn is easily in the Top 10 of college basketball programs of all-time, and is one of the top 5 programs of the past 30 years, and I can live with that.

Reaction Score
They would have won championships in the 90's, 00's, 10's and 20's. Not sure how many schools have won championships in four decades or four consecutive decades. Short answer is not many since not many have won 4 or more titles.

This would be very cool. Over the next 2-3 years we may have a shot. A lot parity, or so it seems, this year. Don’t want to peak now, but in March/April.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
When it comes to the talks of whether a school is blue blood, the past narratives have mainly been, can the program sustain success (final 4 or winning NC of course) thru coaching changes over an extended period of time.

Now ponder this: if our Huskies continues this upward trajectory under the helm of Hurley and it’s not too far fetched that we would soon win the chip. When that happens, despite being in the purgatory of conference realignment, UConn has accomplished winning national champs not only with different coaches (JC, KO, DH), but also in different conferences (BE, AAC, NBE)!!! We would be the bluest of blue bloods.

Chills!

Kentucky, Kansas and North Carolina have won under three different coaches. UConn, Louisville, Michigan State, UCLA, North Carolina State, Indiana and Villanova have won under two different coaches.

Winning a championship under a third coach would be pretty cool. UConn has a long way to go though.

Reaction Score
BLUE BLOODS....Mighty Mighty UCONN, Puke, Carolina, Kansas, Kentucky.----
NAVY BLUE BLOODS......Mich st, Indiana, Ucla, L'ville, 'Nova
BABY BLUE BLOODS......'Cuse, Memphis, Arizona, Ohio St, Mich, Baylor, Gonzaga, Florida, Purdue, Georgetown
CLEAR BLOODS....... Texas, maquette, St.johns, Creighton, Houston, Oklahoma, Kansas St.,Pitt, Wake Forest, Tennessee.
RESPECTABLE LANDING SPOTS........ Auburn, Wisconsin, 'Bama, UNLV, Georgia Tech, Seton Hall, Oregon, Washington, Notre Dame, North Carolina st. Oklahoma St., Mizzou, Arkansas, LSU.

Reaction Score
Get on board fast because there's a non-zero chance we have one this year, and we have another one coming in next season with Castle

Reaction Score
I think we can be blue bloods. I just don't think we have the history, time wise, of the UNC's, and Kansas' of the world. Our real success began in the late 80's and was solidified in '99. We are closest to Duke of all the blue bloods. Another championship and a few more straight years of top 25 and we'll be good.

Things change

Remember: Navy and Rutgers were the blue bloods of college football

Reaction Score
IMHO. Not keen about talking chips so early and also one bad night in the tournament and you are out….However,
as our friend Bill Walton enthusiastically proclaimed during PK ” there is not one team that has won 4 chips in the last 23 years…not Duke, not North Carolina, not Kentucky. It’s UCONN”. We are blue blood

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
IMHO. Not keen about talking chips so early and also one bad night in the tournament and you are out….However,
as our friend Bill Walton enthusiastically proclaimed during PK ” there is not one team that has won 4 chips in the last 23 years…not Duke, not North Carolina, not Kentucky. It’s UCONN”. We are blue blood
I respect the opinion of anyone who has a lot of knowledge about Douglas Fir Trees!

Reaction Score
I agree with willie99- except I’d take 1 one and done every couple of years. We might already be back to that point.
Was thinking of this recently, have to grab 5 Star / 1 & Done Players when you can. Why turn down supreme talent? A good coach has to balance those caliber of players into their program when they can. Now when it comes to UConn, Hurley can decline on a 5 Star Player who doesn’t meet the character requirements that fit into his scheme and culture of the program.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
1 - It is far too early to count this season as a championship (as Frank pointed out). Nothing good can come from this.

2 - I personally believe the championships we have won felt sweeter because the alleged elite continually tried to claim we didn't belong at their level of perceived status.

Reaction Score
1 - It is far too early to count this season as a championship (as Frank pointed out). Nothing good can come from this.

2 - I personally believe the championships we have won felt sweeter because the alleged elite continually tried to claim we didn't belong at their level of perceived status.
Couldn’t agree more. Lots of posters here have hung the banner in their minds already. To be fair, Kemba and Bazz’s teams had bad streaks and some flaws which garnered no respect from media even through the tourney. UCONN getting props but a loss or 2 will bring back the doubters, but all tests have been passed so far.

willie99

Reaction Score
Get on board fast because there's a non-zero chance we have one this year, and we have another one coming in next season with Castle

How many players on our roster were considered one and done when they were being recruited? That's a rhetorical question BTW

We've had 1 one and done player in our history, and we won nothing with him

UK has one and done galore, always disappointing seasons

I stand by my statement

WE'RE BLUE BLOOD, that's reality, and that's OK too

Reaction Score
How many players on our roster were considered one and done when they were being recruited? That's a rhetorical question BTW

We've had 1 one and done player in our history, and we won nothing with him

UK has one and done galore, always disappointing seasons

I stand by my statement

WE'RE BLUE BLOOD, that's reality, and that's OK too
Castle was considered one and done when we recruited him

Reaction Score
We're not blue blood, we're never going to be blue blood, I don't want to be blue blood, that's a media coined expression for programs that were best a long time ago. And I can't disrespect the media more than I do

WE'RE BLUE COLLAR

Say all you want, the general perception and public image matter, recruiting if nothing else. But I’m vain.

willie99

Reaction Score
Castle was considered one and done when we recruited him

he's ranked 20th, great for us, nowhere near one and done lock status

doesn't Hurley talk about kids who want to stick around and work? he talks about "family"

he's not Squid

willie99

Reaction Score
Say all you want, the general perception and public image matter, recruiting if nothing else. But I’m vain.

winning matters, not some media coined expression my friend

we win, we land recruits, especially if Hurley gets them to the NBA

the experts can look past us every year for all I care

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24