UConn/Big 12 Meeting Next Week | Page 9 | The Boneyard

UConn/Big 12 Meeting Next Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We can make 2031 work for football with them throwing us 3-4 games a year.
It will give us a chance to schedule other easier games and get some wins. We can make it work.

That’s pretty much the situation we’re in now though, playing a few p4 games a year without the benefits of being in a p4 conference, and then filling the rest of the schedule with lesser programs. Maybe 2029 and 2030 our recruiting benefits cuz we can sell recruits on the conference for the 2nd half of their career, but that’s why I think I much shorter ramp up period is more fair.

So I agree we can make it work and if that’s the best we can do than we do it, I’m just holding out hope for better

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
On Campus stadium would make students significantly more interested, which results in long-term fans as alumni.
Our student section was packed 15-20 years ago. Those students are now approaching their prime earning years and I haven't heard or seen any noticeable extra interest from them. Is it because they had to take the bus to games back then? Or is it because what you just said is a nice-sounding myth?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Kansas is not Wichita State

Oklahoma State is not Tulsa

Iowa State is not “Creighton”
I am quite confident that I have never equated Kansas with Wichita St, Oklahoma St with Tulsa or Iowa St with Creighton.

If you want to attack a post in this thread go after Nelson's post, not the post refuting Nelson's post.

Reaction Score
Anyone complaining about leaving the Big East does not see the big picture. If this happens, get ready for the Big 24 conference. When the ACC collapses and the biggest brands go to the SEC and B1G, schools like Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, Virginia Tech and NCST will be added to the Big 12. Would you rather play Villanova, St Johns, Providence and seton hall or would you rather play Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, West Virginia, Cincinnati and NCST?
The Big East teams. Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, and WVU are awful. Cincinnati did decently in the NIT. NCST is actually good.

Reaction Score
I am quite confident that I have never equated Kansas with Wichita St, Oklahoma St with Tulsa or Iowa St with Creighton.

If you want to attack a post in this thread go after Nelson's post, not the post refuting Nelson's post.

Yes you are. The Big 12 is far more than a "precipice"

It's North of the Wall

It's a Lifeboat with a luxury suite

It's a winning lottery ticket

Pull your head out of your you know what

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Why?
UConn is expected to build, fund, and operate a program just like the other Big 12 schools. If a new stadium can’t be built, that will be a big strike against us. By 2031 the Rent will be 30 years old.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
UConn is expected to build, fund, and operate a program just like the other Big 12 schools. If a new stadium can’t be built, that will be a big strike against us. By 2031 the Rent will be 30 years old.
Not that it has to do with anything but at the moment there are sixteen schools in the B-12 and I know of only three (although there may be one or two more) with stadiums that are not more than thirty years old.

I personally would have no problem with building an on campus stadium if it were done intelligently (sadly quite a few of our university's construction projections over the recent years do not qualify) but if an on campus stadium by 2031 were a deal breaker, the deal would already be broken asa there is no way the recently approved investment in the Rent would go forward, there is no way we would abandon that build in seven years.

Reaction Score
The B-12 is at best on a precipice. The BE is on the wrong side of the divide. If we move from the BE to the B-12 we may well still end up on the wrong side a dozen years down the road. For the most part I agree with your assertion, but my take is moving to the B-12 may end up being wrong, remaining in the BE when we would have had the opportunity to join a current P-4 school will be wrong.

Also, I'm not sure many of our fans really care about DePaul or Butler.

Let me guess, all your money is kept in a mattress, am I correct?

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
And yet younger than almost every big time CFB stadium.
Maybe a major upgrade at the Rent will suffice. A bigger Jumbotron won’t do it. After all, the Big 12 is mainly looking at quality of play and attendance. But the stadium and its location will be an issue we’ll have to overcome.

Reaction Score

Lamont will get it done if it its needed. <saracasn on> We can play in 2 stadiums like we do for basketball.

Reaction Score
Maybe a major upgrade at the Rent will suffice. A bigger Jumbotron won’t do it. After all, the Big 12 is mainly looking at quality of play and attendance. But the stadium and its location will be an issue we’ll have to overcome.
I believe as long as we show a commitment to updating the Rent (including what was just approved; coincidental timing?) and other renovations/upgrades up to and including expansion to ~ 55k capacity that this would suffice Big12 officials.

Reaction Score
Maybe a major upgrade at the Rent will suffice. A bigger Jumbotron won’t do it. After all, the Big 12 is mainly looking at quality of play and attendance. MONEY But the stadium and its location will be an issue we’ll have to overcome.
FIFY

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You are not wrong TODAY. If the college sports world doesn’t change from what it is today, it is rational to stay in the Big East and let football die.
I'm not sure that is a rational decision, even today, since it would herald the eventual decline of our ability to play big-time sports.

CL82

Reaction Score
You sound like the people who ran Sears and JC Penney.
In the 80s, I wrote a white paper on the eventual decline of brick and mortar establishments that focused on Sears. It was, for all intense and purposes, before the worldwide web so it focused on downsizing the square footage where it would only be enough for a specific niche say Ted Williams sporting goods or just Craftsman tools, but would set aside a catalog desk in the back so that anything could be ordered directly. It turned out to be prescient, sort of.

CL82

Reaction Score
The Big East teams. Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, and WVU are awful. Cincinnati did decently in the NIT. NCST is actually good.
Who won the NIT last year again?

Reaction Score
Not clear the Big 12 is on the right side of the divide either, and if they aren't then we joined a league with Kansas State and Iowa State and abandoned a league with teams that basketball fans actually care about.

I am generally pro-Big 12, but this is not a simple choice. UConn is making a big bet on the future of college football that we may get really, really wrong.
Hmmm, large national universities making 30 mil per or small private catholic schools making 7 per. Who has a brighter future? This isn’t a simple choice, it’s the simplest choice.

Reaction Score
In the 80s, I wrote a white paper on the eventual decline of brick and mortar establishments that focused on Sears. It was, for all intense and purposes, before the worldwide web so it focused on downsizing the square footage where it would only be enough for a specific niche say Ted Williams sporting goods or just Craftsman tools, but would set aside a catalog desk in the back so that anything could be ordered directly. It turned out to be prescient, sort of.

It just needed to be a showroom.

Reaction Score
I get the financial implications here, but UConn in the Big XII will damage both basketball programs, and UConn football will still suck / be largely irrelevant in their home state.

I dread the day Hurley heads to the NBA and the next coach has to recruit kids who won’t want to deal with the 1200-2600 miles to each opponent’s campus.

I could probably be talked into an ACC situation. A bunch of (elitist) morons run that conference though.
Very difficult decision choosing an offer not on the table vs one in hand I suppose.

Reaction Score
Many of the B12 schools have seating well below 60k.

The Rent is already structured for expansion and getting to 50k is easy and well within range for B12 schools.

Let’s get back to 30-40K average attendees first, then worry about need for expansion.

We don’t need more empty seats right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom