Uconn Basketball considering joining the Big 12 in 2026 | The Boneyard

Uconn Basketball considering joining the Big 12 in 2026

Reaction Score
Football not being able to join until 2031 is not a great thing, but if the B12 comes calling, you gotta at least pick up the phone …

Reaction Score
With Texas and Oklahoma leaving, football reasons, the Big 12 just ain't the same in terms of competitive nature. Sure, you have Baylor and Iowa State after that it looks like the American Athletic Conference, and we all know how many people felt about the competitive level of the AAC. We shall see what develops. It is a huge plus for men's basketball. Kansas is a power. Houston is back in the running.

Reaction Score
This is probably good for the women, it’s a stronger conference. Not so much for the men who benefit from the regional rivalries. And I don’t care about football.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Football not being able to join until 2031 is not a great thing, but if the B12 comes calling, you gotta at least pick up the phone …
From the article on ESPN, they make it sound like UConn went knocking on the Big12 AD's meeting last week.
But I don't have much faith in ESPN reporters.
For example, anyone else see something wrong in this paragraph from their story?
"The 16-team Big 12 added four new members -- Houston, BYU, Cincinnati and Arizona -- last year and will welcome Colorado, Utah, Arizona and Arizona State this year."

Reaction Score
With Texas and Oklahoma leaving, football reasons, the Big 12 just ain't the same in terms of competitive nature. Sure, you have Baylor and Iowa State after that it looks like the American Athletic Conference, and we all know how many people felt about the competitive level of the AAC. We shall see what develops. It is a huge plus for men's basketball. Kansas is a power. Houston is back in the running.
Bigger market maybe?? Better football recruitment?? It's a toss up if you ask me. Idk, I'm a novice in all this :)

Reaction Score
From the article on ESPN, they make it sound like UConn went knocking on the Big12 AD's meeting last week.
For example, anyone else see something wrong in this paragraph from their story?
"The 16-team Big 12 added four new members -- Houston, BYU, Cincinnati and Arizona -- last year and will welcome Colorado, Utah, Arizona and Arizona State this year."
The author is obviously a Wildcat fan!

But you are right, ESPN is not what they once were.

Reaction Score
Bigger market maybe?? Better football recruitment?? It's a toss up if you ask me. Idk, I'm a novice in all this :)
I get that money is the driving factor for a lot of programs to join a conference and UConn has to do what is best in their interest long term. I am just not seeing how the Big 12 is a step up from the Big East. Money aside.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Should be the Big 16 about to be Big 20? :p I have never understood conference names that don't match membership. Frankly, the Big # conferences are at a loss for imagination when it comes to their names.

Reaction Score
I get that money is the driving factor for a lot of programs to join a conference and UConn has to do what is best in their interest long term. I am just not seeing how the Big 12 is a step up from the Big East. Money aside.

Money talks! Need all the money we can get to keep up with NIL these days. Hope it happens!

Reaction Score
Should be the Big 16 about to be Big 20? :p I have never understood conference names that don't match membership. Frankly, the Big # conferences are at a loss for imagination when it comes to their names.
Lack of imagination, lack of effort or simply profitting off the branding that exists with the names they have now? Rebranding can be cost prohibitive depending on what's required.

Reaction Score
I questioned the legitimacy of the initial posts on another thread, but now with Yahoo and ESPN mentioning it, there appears to be serious interest whether it ultimately happens or not. Obviously football is the big obstacle, but this appears to be a way to address the issue. If football doesn't live up to their standards let Uconn in, but don't give them a full cut of revenue and delay football entering the conference until they presumably are at another level.

That could address the objections from schools that don't think Uconn deserves a full share because of football, but still represent a major financial upgrade for the program. It might work.

Reaction Score
joining the big 12 would completely change the potential for football. I think it actually is extraordinarily important for women’s basketball at Uconn
Post Geno Auriemma I think it would be extraordinarily difficult to continue to recruit at the level he has enjoyed
Additionally it will be extraordinarily difficult to convince recruits that playing an against a BE schedule of teams that you routinely beat by 40 points makes sense ..UConn WBB will need every advantage possible Post Genos to continue anywhere near where the program is now
Let’s be honest players come to UConn because of Geno
Additionally, it already seems be getting harder and harder for Uconn wbb schedule games against power 4 teams
Being part of one of the big 12 would at least put UConn on equal footing
As a fan I would love to see games against Baylor, Arizona Iowa State West Virginia, and Utah on a regular basis vs name the score games against Butler, Providence Xavier etc

Reaction Score
joining the big 12 would completely change the potential for football. I think it actually is extraordinarily important for women’s basketball at Uconn
Post Geno Auriemma I think it would be extraordinarily difficult to continue to recruit at the level he has enjoyed
Additionally it will be extraordinarily difficult to convince recruits that playing an against a BE schedule of teams that you routinely beat by 40 points makes sense ..UConn WBB will need every advantage possible Post Genos to continue anywhere near where the program is now
Let’s be honest players come to UConn because of Geno
Additionally, it already seems be getting harder and harder for Uconn wbb schedule games against power 4 teams
Being part of one of the big 12 would at least put UConn on equal footing
As a fan I would love to see games against Baylor, Arizona Iowa State West Virginia, and Utah on a regular basis vs name the score games against Butler, Providence Xavier etc
Great point. Of course the conference competition would be better and the revenue is desperately needed. The down side is the travel, although some ACC schools might also jump ship and provide more local competition. In a 20-team conference, the most logical scheduling format would be two 10-team divisions (east-west). The ultimate arrival might be three power conferences of 24 teams with 12-team divisions. This could happen very quickly.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Lack of imagination, lack of effort or simply profitting off the branding that exists with the names they have now? Rebranding can be cost prohibitive depending on what's required.
Oh I get it. I just sorta wonder what the thought process was when those conferences were formed.

Reaction Score
I think that the Big 12 is slowly morphing into a powerhouse basketball conference and, as such, realizes that the addition of Uconn is definitely to their advantage. It would probably be a good move even with the travel issues and with the losses of Texas and Oklahoma I feel Uconn can at least compare to some of the lower football teams in the conference.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Oh I get it. I just sorta wonder what the thought process was when those conferences were formed.
Traditional rivalries and geographic proximity.

sun

Reaction Score
I don't see how UConn athletics will be able to break even financially anytime soon if allowed to join the Big 12.
It seems that UConn & the Big 12 Commissioner are trying to twist the arms of Big 12 schools at UConn's financial expense.
Show the citizens of Connecticut how much money that UConn will likely receive per year until football is allowed to join in 2031 & what the expenses will be to exit the Big East.
Without the financial facts being laid out on the table it's all pillow talk.
Personally I don't buy it.
If it happens then it happens.
But if it doesn't then perhaps UConn can use these negotiations as a blueprint to negotiate with the ACC when it expands again.
I don't like the thought that the Big 12 is the only conference willing to consider inviting UConn.
It makes UConn look desperate to find a suitor.
If UConn's football was up to snuff then there would be more options.
I don't see the reason for the rush for UConn to commit to the Big 12 when they recently voted us down & 2031 is far off enough for the conference realignment landscape to change.
If UConn football can change then so can the conference realignment landscape regarding the ACC.

Reaction Score
I don't see how UConn athletics will be able to break even financially anytime soon if allowed to join the Big 12.
It seems that UConn & the Big 12 Commissioner are trying to twist the arms of Big 12 schools at UConn's financial expense.
Show the citizens of Connecticut how much money that UConn will likely receive per year until football is allowed to join in 2031 & what the expenses will be to exit the Big East.
Without the financial facts being laid out on the table it's all pillow talk.
Personally I don't buy it.
If it happens then it happens.
But if it doesn't then perhaps UConn can use these negotiations as a blueprint to negotiate with the ACC when it expands again.
I don't like the thought that the Big 12 is the only conference willing to consider inviting UConn.
It makes UConn look desperate to find a suitor.
If UConn's football was up to snuff then there would be more options.
I don't see the reason for the rush for UConn to commit to the Big 12 when they recently voted us down & 2031 is far off enough for the conference realignment landscape to change.
If UConn football can change then so can the conference realignment landscape regarding the ACC.
If the ACC was even remotely interested they would have invited us instead of SMU.

Reaction Score
Sure, you have Baylor and Iowa State after that it looks like the American Athletic Conference
This is crazy. Utah is consistently Top 15-20. Oklahoma State is a very good football program. TCU was just in the CFP playoff. There's a lot of good programs, even if there aren't a lot of great ones. And the basketball side is crazy. Being in the same conference with Kansas and Arizona makes immediate marquee games.

It is clearly a step down from the B1G and SEC, but it is better than the ACC, particularly since Clemson has taken a step down.

Reaction Score
Anyone comparting the B12 to the AAC is completely lost. UConn solidifies the B12 as the best basketball conference in the country, when was the AAC the best basketball conference in the country?

If the B12 is considering going hybrid, they should forget about Gonzaga and instead go after Nova and St John's.

Reaction Score
Maybe, the Dallas market, Texas recruiting grounds and a Top 40 football program probably helped.
Plus taking no money for 10 years because they have wealthy boosters to fund their athletic programs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom