UConn Baseball - Regular Season Conference Series Finale @ Houston | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball - Regular Season Conference Series Finale @ Houston

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Pinch runner for Deroche-Duffin? Why? His run means nothing and if we do come back you lose his bat.

Reaction Score
Nepiarsky should be out of the inning 1,2,3 again if not for the error. The kid has done nothing but get people out all year when given the chance but only gets into a meaningful game the 2nd to last of the regular season. Don't get it. Kid has nasty stuff. Should have been used more in key moments.

It was a slow hit ball to Yahn that should have been ruled a hit according to Chris Jones. The WHUS crew has said the official scoring in this series has been very poor so far. Still, hit or error, Nepiarsky is earning himself more time on the mound.

Reaction Score
Coming into the season out of shape must have really struck a nerve with Penders. I don't know him personally but he must hold those kinds of things in a much higher regard than most other coaches.
He must have made a real transition since he looks pretty slender out there to me.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
He must have made a real transition since he looks pretty slender out there to me.

I agree, I think everyone's in good shape. It was just the fact that he didn't show up prepared that stuck with Penders.

Reaction Score
@uconnbaseball: FINAL: Houston 3, #UConn 1. Huskies conclude the regular season tomorrow afternoon at 2 p.m. (ET) against the No. 19 Cougars.

@American_BSB: .@UHCougarBB clinches the No. 1 seed in The American Championship with a 3-1 win over @uconnbaseball.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I suspect it is because he has 15 stitches in his leg from Tuesday's game.
He looked fine running out there. He had 2 doubles and was the one person hitting. Point is its just a dumb move by Penders. Having speed at 2nd there makes no difference. That wasn't the tying run. If they did come back now you don't have the one hitter who has been hitting. He did the same thing in the extra inning game against ECU and we had no starters left in the game and ultimately lost because of it.

Reaction Score
Nepiarsky should be out of the inning 1,2,3 again if not for the error. The kid has done nothing but get people out all year when given the chance but only gets into a meaningful game the 2nd to last of the regular season. Don't get it. Kid has nasty stuff. Should have been used more in key moments.

He gets people out, and that is a big thing. One thing the WHUS guys noted during the game is that Nepiarsky was throwing in the mid to high 80's during his time on the mound tonight, and that they don't think he hit 90. So it looks like Nepiarsky is more of a control guy than a flame thrower. Nothing wrong in that in my mind, but it also answers more questions. Managers throughout the history of baseball have always favored the guys that they can hear the fastball from. They just love the hard throwers, and will give them multiple chances to show their stuff. Control pitchers have always had a harder time getting noticed from their managers, and I'm guessing Penders is no exception to that.

Reaction Score
He looked fine running out there. He had 2 doubles and was the one person hitting. Point is its just a dumb move by Penders. Having speed at 2nd there makes no difference. That wasn't the tying run. If they did come back now you don't have the one hitter who has been hitting. He did the same thing in the extra inning game against ECU and we had no starters left in the game and ultimately lost because of it.

Penders in the post game interview just said he is not 100% with the leg. You know I'm not a big fan of pinch running, but I can overlook it a bit more when dealing with injuries.

Reaction Score
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/051515aab.html

Game Notes:
  • Anthony Kay finished with nine strikeouts, one shy of a career high. His 89 strikeouts this season mark the ninth most in a single-season in UConn history
  • Sam Nepiarsky lowered his ERA to 0.79 on the year with two scoreless innings
  • UConn falls to 4-4 this year against opponents ranked in the major national polls
The Huskies and Cougars conclude their three-game series tomorrow afternoon with a 2 p.m. (ET) start time in the regular season finale.

Reaction Score
To start today:
CFGPFLgW8AE1jM1.jpg

American_BSB9:00am via TweetDeck
3 seeds for @American_Confchampionship has been decided already
#1 @UHCougarBB
#7 @UCF_Baseball
#8 @UCincyBaseball

Memphis and Tulane were rained out and will play a doubleheader at Noon ET/11 a.m. CT Saturday. East Carolina will face Cincinnati at 11 a.m., USF will host UCF at 1 p.m., while Houston and UConn square off at 2 p.m. ET/1 p.m. CT.

Reaction Score
To start today:
CFGPFLgW8AE1jM1.jpg

American_BSB9:00am via TweetDeck
3 seeds for @American_Confchampionship has been decided already
#1 @UHCougarBB
#7 @UCF_Baseball
#8 @UCincyBaseball

Memphis and Tulane were rained out and will play a doubleheader at Noon ET/11 a.m. CT Saturday. East Carolina will face Cincinnati at 11 a.m., USF will host UCF at 1 p.m., while Houston and UConn square off at 2 p.m. ET/1 p.m. CT.

American_BSB 2:18pm via TweetDeck
.@ECUBaseball clinched the No. 2 seed in The American Championship with an 8-7 win over @UCincyBaseball.

American_BSB 2:20pm via TweetDeck
Pirates would tie for the regular-season title if UConn beats Houston this afternoon.

Tulane won first game of dbl header vs. Memphis 5-2

Last edited:
Reaction Score
McDowell up 3-0 in the count with two on and a horrible call for a strike. Then he grounds into a double play. Unreal.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Single and walk issued by Tabakman to start the 6th. Not good.

Reaction Score
Tabakman gets out of the 6th, and has pitched a very nice game. However, it sounds like he has reached his limit and in the 7th it should be time for the bullpen to take over.

Reaction Score
Listening to these games, I am certainly impressed with Houston. Very good pitching and lots of it, combined with a stellar defensive unit that flat out makes terrific plays. No wonder UConn is having trouble scoring in these games. Combine this with just enough hitting and run scoring ability, it gets you quite a few wins.

Reaction Score
Listening to these games, I am certainly impressed with Houston. Very good pitching and lots of it, combined with a stellar defensive unit that flat out makes terrific plays. No wonder UConn is having trouble scoring in these games. Combine this with just enough hitting and run scoring ability, it gets you quite a few wins.

We haven't helped ourselves but this is a tough league...

Reaction Score

Having watched the last three games, they don't make very mistakes, and the middle of their defense is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom