UConn Baseball - Regular Season Conference Series Finale @ Houston | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball - Regular Season Conference Series Finale @ Houston

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Do you have any confidence in anyone in the bullpen?
Nepiarsky! I'm sorry but he has done enough for me to at least get a chance. The outcome can't be any worse than what it has been stretching Ruotolo game after game.
Darras, Holmes, Over make me nervous as anything with their control issues.
Heck I would even consider bringing in Zapata or Montgomerie in relief now

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I would definitely bring in Zapata or Montgomerie. And I agree on Nepiarski. What's the worst he could have done in extra innings? Lost the game? .....

Reaction Score
Another rain delay in Houston. New start time for the Friday night game is 8:30 Connecticut time.

Reaction Score
Looks like its going to be another late night. At least its Friday.

Late night indeed. Last night I listened to most of the last two innings in bed. It did not make for the most restful of nap times.

Reaction Score
Didn't realize Houston doesn't have 1 senior in their lineup. They will be really good next year as well.

Reaction Score
CFFTRgmWgAAXh7f.jpg

Reaction Score
Do you have any confidence in anyone in the bullpen?

I had the same thoughts but this time Cross doesn't have a full week to rest before his next start. Probably don't want him throwing 120 pitches and then coming back on Monday (or even Tuesday which is now more likely). The real issue is how thin and unreliable the bullpen is.

Anyways, yet another terrible loss as you have all said already. If this was in the tournament, Cross definitely pitches the 8th and probably finishes the game himself. At least the offense was resilient. It certainly felt like they weren't going to get anything done. To take the lead late and then again in extra innings was an accomplishment and as much as you could ask from the offense. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cross and Kay going 120+ pitches each in the tournament because obviously the bullpen is not to be trusted. It's been an issue all year and there's no reason to think that will change.

The shortness in the bullpen has been a big issue on this team the last two seasons. Before that, in previous seasons Penders would end up using about five guys regularly out of the pen in touch and go situations. The lack of relief pitchers that Penders considers reliable these last two seasons has led to some interesting decision making, the main one being that Penders would much rather go with a tiring pitcher or someone who does not have their good stuff (starter or reliever) than go with a relief pitcher that has not earned their stripes with him, who he simply does not trust. As he has said in post game interviews, when the game is on the line, he wants to go with his best. I can understand that point of view to a point, that is, if it works out for you. I think we can all think of any number of situations the last couple of seasons where it simply hasn't worked out.

Reaction Score
Didn't realize Houston doesn't have 1 senior in their lineup. They will be really good next year as well.

The question is, how many of their juniors will get drafted and end up going pro?

Reaction Score
This team has to, has to, has to cut down on striking out. What happened to the days of choking up on the bat and making contact. It gets the runners moving and makes things happen.

Reaction Score
UConn down 3-0 in top of 6th. Got to hope the offense can do another comeback.

Reaction Score
Kay is at about 100 pitches. With the AAC tourney next week, I'm guessing this 6th inning will be his last.

Nepiarsky is warming up. He was also warming up yesterday when Cross was in trouble in the early innings.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Huskies are on the board. Deroche-Duffin with the RBI double.

Reaction Score
The RBI double also results in a Houston pitching change.

Reaction Score
Bottom of the 7th, and Nepiarsky is coming in. This will certainly be an uptick in the competition he has been seeing.

Reaction Score
Easy inning for Nepiarsky. Passes that test that will certainly earn him some points with Coach Penders.

Reaction Score
Nepiarsky 1,2,3. Wow how about that Penders. Maybe he can pitch against good competition.

Reaction Score
Lead off single and then nothing. So many missed opportunities.

Reaction Score
Nepiarsky gets through the 8th very nicely. We'll certainly be seeing more of him.

Reaction Score
Nepiarsky should be out of the inning 1,2,3 again if not for the error. The kid has done nothing but get people out all year when given the chance but only gets into a meaningful game the 2nd to last of the regular season. Don't get it. Kid has nasty stuff. Should have been used more in key moments.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Nepiarsky should be out of the inning 1,2,3 again if not for the error. The kid has done nothing but get people out all year when given the chance but only gets into a meaningful game the 2nd to last of the regular season. Don't get it. Kid has nasty stuff. Should have been used more in key moments.

Coming into the season out of shape must have really struck a nerve with Penders. I don't know him personally but he must hold those kinds of things in a much higher regard than most other coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom