UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread | Page 34 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread

Reaction Score
Yeah, definitely with that size and that much time before he’s college age, he could blossom big time. I probably spoke too soon and based it off the 7/10 grade from PG.

... but a PG 7/10 equates to “"Potential low round pick, D1 prospect or top level JUCO" > not bad for a freshman ;) (w/ a famous dad).

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Throws 89 according to Perfect Game. Not bad, I bet the coaches turn that into 92-93 before long.

Reaction Score
Throws 89 according to Perfect Game. Not bad, I bet the coaches turn that into 92-93 before long.

Also remember Pihlkar is a rising junior, so he has two more years to develop in high school and elsewhere before he arrives at UConn in the fall of 2021. That's quite a bit of time to get stronger and to improve.

Reaction Score
Apparently the new league and new facilities aren't turning guys off much. This is an exciting time for the program.

Reaction Score

Mitch Pascarella is a Class of 2020 6-0 180lb RHP/SS from Southwestern High School in Jamestown NY

Pascarella Commits To UConn - Post Journal
>>Last season, Pascarella was named the Chautauqua-Cattaraugus Athletic Association Division I West Roger Moore Player of the Year after helping the Trojans to a 14-8 record. Offensively, he batted .415 and slugged .615 with six doubles, two triples, a home run and 26 runs scored while stealing 15 bases. On the mound, Pascarella posted a 5-3 record with a 1.20 earned-run average. In 46 innings pitched, he struck out 83.<<

Reaction Score
Another article on Mitch Pascarella:

>“What I find attractive is the quality of the coaching staff,” Pascarella said. “They have been at UConn for a while now and have a great system. The facilities are going to be brand new as of this spring, (including) a new stadium with turf playing surface, and new locker room and batting cages.”

Recruited primarily as a pitcher, Pascarella had also considered Niagara, Canisius, Bucknell, St. Bonaventure and Penn State as possible college destinations.

“The past year I played for the Niagara Junior Thunderwolves, which has been one of the best baseball experiences I have had,” he said. ” … I have been on UConn’s radar since I threw a perfect game at Diamond Nation (in New Jersey) late this summer.”<

Reaction Score
Stumbled across this article on 2020 commit Adrian Siravo: The real deal: Gilford’s Siravo flashing rare skill set to get on MLB’s radar

>>At 17 years old, Siravo is listed at 6-foot-4 and 195 pounds. He wears a size 16 shoe and runs like a player half his size. His arm generates pitches exceeding 90 mph and the sound generated when the ball meets his bat is just different from his peers. “He’s a one-of-a-kind player as far as being able to do everything,” Duquette said. “He runs a 6.6 second 60 (yard dash). He throws 90-plus. He hits for power. There isn’t more of a five-tool player around in New Hampshire than this kid and maybe hasn’t been for the last however many years.”<<

>>Siravo reached 93 mph with his fastball during the Baseball Coaches Association of New Hampshire’s Underwood Games in June and topped out at 94 mph on the radar gun during a showcase event in Philadelphia. “UConn pitching coach (Joshua) MacDonald told me personally that they think Adrian has the potential to throw harder than any kid they’ve ever recruited and they have pitchers drafted every year,” Duquette said. “He’s the real deal.”

The velocity will only go up as Siravo matures, but it’s the development of his secondary pitches that’s making the biggest difference. “That was the priority for us this offseason,” Duquette said. “We worked on that slider and developing the splitter. His slider is 80, which is like the perfect differential when he’s throwing the fastball in the 90s. (The slider) is almost unhittable. Everybody is so geared up for the fastball that they swing right over the top of his slider.”<<

Reaction Score
Latest commitment to UConn baseball is Braden Quinn, New Fairfield High School Class of 2021. Quinn is a 6'3'' LHP.

From PrepBaseballReport.com:

>3/06/19

6-foot-3, 175-pound, long, lengthy, wide shoulders and back, with plenty of room for added weight. A left-handed pitcher, smooth controlled delivery, weight stays back over the rubber, tall throughout. The hands start and stay high, back leg is strong, rides out to release, direction is on point with lower half. The arm works out of a high ¾ slot, arm action is clean and loose, pitching down hill. The fastball was clocked at 82 mph, pitched to glove side, working low in the zone. The change up has a chance to be an above average pitch, clocked at 76-77 mph, fade and down action to it, works well off fastball, a very good pitch. The breaking ball is more curveball, more top to bottom break, clocked at 70-72 mph. Composure and tempo on the mound is advanced, big follow one of the better arms in the class of 2021.<

Reaction Score
Mike Anthony: More than 40 college football coaches showed interest in Hand-Madison QB Phoenix Billings, but for the two-sport stud UConn baseball the right fit

>>The questions I had were as follows: Has Billings completely closed the door on college football? And is there any way he could do both?

Billings won’t sign a national letter of intent to attend UConn until November. In the meantime, who knows what kind of enticing football offers might come his way. Many FBS schools have been reluctant to get heavily involved, with the baseball intention made so clear, but Boston College has shown interest. UMass, too...

...“I don’t have much interest in doing both,” said Billings, whose father, Jeff, owns Billings Sports in Meriden and whose mother, Courtney, owns the Academy of Dance and Music in Wallingford. “I feel like I did my due diligence [with exploration of football opportunities], but in the end I landed back on baseball and what I wanted to do from the beginning. We’ll keep listening, but right now the plan is to go to UConn and play baseball.”<<

Reaction Score
You can do both. UConn has a baseball player a few years ago who was a football player for 1 year. I want to say Billy Ferrier or something like that from New Hampshire. But if I understand the rule if he takes a baseball scholarship and walks on to the football team he would count towards the 85 man
Limit. If he didn’t take a schollie for baseball, then he could walk on to football without counting towards the 85.

Reaction Score
You can do both. UConn has a baseball player a few years ago who was a football player for 1 year. I want to say Billy Ferrier or something like that from New Hampshire. But if I understand the rule if he takes a baseball scholarship and walks on to the football team he would count towards the 85 man
Limit. If he didn’t take a schollie for baseball, then he could walk on to football without counting towards the 85.
That was a quote from the writer that he posed to Billings. Not a question of is it allowed, but does he have any interest in it.

Reaction Score
You’re memory is correct.

Reaction Score
Jackson Ferrigno, SS from Farmington, class of 21 just verballed. Kids got some pop and strong arm for a slender kid. Just scratching the surface.

From Prep Baseball Report comments section on Jackson Ferrigno:

>7/30/19
Future Games
5-foot-11, 160-pound, a wiry, fast twitch athlete. Legs and hands are quick and strong. A right-handed hitting middle infielder, who can probably make a smooth transition to outfield at a higher level. At the late, has bat speed, tee exit clocked at 93 mph, runs ok at 7.08 sixty-yard dash, plays at a much quicker rate. The stance is even, more spread out, hands are loose at the shoulders, sits in a small squat. The swing is short and fast to contact, level through the zone, with more of a middle to pull approach. In game at bats were good, collected a few walks, with hard contact, solid knowledge of strike zone. Defensively, the arm is a weapon, clocked at 88 mph across the diamond. Shows to have average feel and actions in the infield. Look for him to be able to stick on the left side with arm strength, wouldn't be surprised if he moved to center at some point. Big time athlete.<

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom