UConn Baseball - Key Weekend Series @ Home v. Memphis | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball - Key Weekend Series @ Home v. Memphis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/042415aaa.html

Game Notes:
  • Carson Cross recorded his 200th career strikeout in the first inning, the eighth Husky to achieve that feat
  • Cross also notched his 20th victory, the fifth player in program history to do so
  • Vinny Siena has reached base safely in 34-straight contests and has an 11-game hitting streak
  • Siena recorded his 197th and 198th career hits, passing Nick Ahmed and moving into a tie with Mike Olt for 16th in program history
  • Joe DeRoche-Duffin tied Max McDowell for the team-lead with seven home runs and recorded his second five-RBI game
  • UConn scored in double-figures for the third-straight game and has out-scored its last three opponents by a margin of 40-5
The Huskies and Tigers continue their weekend series tomorrow with a 1 p.m. first pitch in Storrs. Anthony Kay (Stony Brook, N.Y.) will take the ball for UConn against Memphis' Dylan Toscano.

Reaction Score
Sam Nepiarsky redshirted last year, as many true freshmen pitchers do. After his redshirt season, he pitched in summer ball with the Nashua Silver Nights of the Future Collegiate Baseball League where he did quite well, starting 8 games, and playing the league's all star game. Based on his summer performance in Nashua I figured Nepiarsky was a redshirt pitcher with a bright future with the Huskies, that he would get some significant innings this season. I was guessing Zapata would be the primary midweek starter, with Nepiarsky getting the other spot. Imagine my surprise when Nepiarsky first had no early relief pitching appearances, and then when William Montgomerie became the second midweek starter. It seemed an odd state of affairs for a pitcher who did so well in summer ball not to be pitching at all.

Well, in today's post game interview, Penders was talking about how well Nepiarsky has done in his few relief appearances when he happened to mention that Nepiarsky returned to school this winter not in shape for the season to come. That explained a lot to me right there. Anyway, whenever the subject of Nepiarsky has come up in interviews, Penders has always talked about him being a future starter, and Chris Jones does the same when broadcasting the games on WHUS. Nepiarsky may not be a starter this season, but it sure seems next season that could change.

From here on in, UConn has no more weeks where they need two midweek starters. I'm sure Zapata will continue to get the remaining midweek starts. This being the case, I'm now thinking of how well Montgomerie did in his starts. Could he be seeing some bullpen time as well?

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
Big game today fellas should be a good pitching duel lets go Huskies!!

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
Not a good start Memphis up 1-0 with runner on 3rd and 1 out

Reaction Score
2-0 after 2. Guys on 1st and 2nd 0 outs and we can't get a Sac bunt down. Then 2 strikeouts and a ground out.

Reaction Score
@uconnbaseball: B5 | #UConn fighting back...Sundberg walks and steals, after a Siena walk Melley singles to bring in one. An error brings in one more, 4-3.

@uconnbaseball: End 5 | Memphis 4, #UConn 3. Huskies cut the lead back to one with Melley's RBI single and a run on an error. #BleedBlue

Reaction Score
Memphis down 1-2-3 Top of 7th. Top of the lineup for the Huskies. Let's go!!

Reaction Score
1st & third 1 out. Siena moved over Sundberg. Bobby Melley popped out. Davey flys out. Running out of chances.

Reaction Score
Anthony Kay gets through the 8th. Not much bullpen action in this series so far for UConn. Unless this game goes extra innings, I suspect we'll be seeing multiple innings from Ruotolo tomorrow.

Reaction Score
I was expecting Aaron Hill to pinch hit for Testani. Instead, Adam Stefanski got the call. He popped out.

Reaction Score
Rubber Game tomorrow, 4-3. John you were correct. Sundberg was not on 3rd.

Reaction Score
Just a theory on why I fell we struggle at home. I noticed that in just about all the games at home, the wind is always gusting from left to right. I can think of several balls that our righties have hit that are either long outs or bang up against the wall the would go out if no wind. In the series against USF and ECU they had a lot of lefty batters and even the one homer that Memphis had in game 1 was from their one lefty in the lineup. I think it really hurts us being a team where our power hitters are righties.
Does the wind ever blow from right to left at our park?

Reaction Score
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/042515aaa.html

Game Notes:
  • Vinny Siena has reached base safely in 35-straight games and extended his hitting streak to 12 games with a seventh-inning single
  • Anthony Kay has pitched into the seven inning or later in nine of his 11 starts
  • Over his last three starts Kay has walked only one batter
  • Jack Sundberg matched his 2014 total with his 27th stolen base
The Huskies and Tigers conclude their weekend series tomorrow for a 12 p.m. first pitch. Jordan Tabakman will take the ball for UConn against Memphis' Connor Alexander

Reaction Score
Alexander 4-0 2.54 era. Hoping the bats finally wake up on a Sunday.

Reaction Score
Noon start. Good article in Courant about AAC baseball. Very competitive league. Ranked third ahead of PAC12 & Big12. 7 teams in Top 54 RPI and UCONN #31.

Let's take this one.

Reaction Score
Interesting change to the Sunday lineup. Troy Stefanski is the DH today, replacing Joe Deroche-Duffin. Penders has had some high praise for Stefanski and his bat in interviews I have heard, but at the same time Stefanski has hardly played. That changes today. He's also a lefty hitter, so that might have something to do with it.

Reaction Score
Tabakman playing with fire. Has escaped so far but giving up a lot of hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom